EV thread

Apparition

Moab JuneFest 2024
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Are they viable? Discuss pros and cons.

https://thebluestateconservative.co...s-will-save-the-planet-is-quickly-unraveling/

The ‘Electric Vehicles Will Save The Planet’ Farce Is Unraveling Quickly
by Steve MacDonaldAugust 21, 2022

An auto club in Germany that claims 21 million members ran some controlled charging test electric vehicles to see how efficient that process was. The results put another nail in the value coffin. Not only are they expensive to buy and own, but the average charge also wastes up to 13% of the electricity.

Put another way, the consumer is charged for all the electricity required to fully charge the battery, which is as much as 13% more than the battery can hold.

So, imagine pouring two gallons of gasoline on the ground every time you filled a 20-gallon tank. People would lose their collective minds. But that will be standard for every charge of every vehicle in the utopian electric fleet of the future.

ADAC’s Ecotest calculated the kWh needed to fully charge a range of electric vehicle batteries.

The result of the test under the same conditions for all electric car models: E-car drivers have to plan for a particularly large amount of power loss for some models – but everyone has to pay extra. According to the ADAC Ecotest, a 100 kWh battery in a Tesla Model X100D actually needs 108.3 kWh. The Kia e-Niro Spirit has 72.3 kWh for a 64 kWh battery. The Jaguar I-PACE EV400 also needs at least 10 kWh more for a 90 kWh battery.

With electricity prices scheduled to double in New Hampshire (as an example) and with the cost of EVs still out of the range of most middle and lower-income families, throwing money out the window with every charge might just as well be another tax.

Line loss or transformer loss is baked into the infrastructure. There is no way to transmit electricity without waste (primarily) in the form of heat. Anywhere from 8-15% or more of the electricity generated by power stations is lost before it gets to you. A carbon footprint problem we’re supposed to ignore.

But not in the ADAC tests. The consumer pays immediately for the loss of every kWh that exceeded the actual electricity needed to charge the battery.

Dark Future
At present, the infrastructure to charge the existing fleet is inadequate. Rolling brownouts and blackouts are predicted everywhere. There is no plan that puts enough wind or solar into operation, maybe ever, to address the growing demand without EVs. There isn’t enough land for the equipment needed to create that much electricity unless the plan is to need less.

With rates skyrocketing, charging will become unaffordable to all but the most well-off, and we’ve postulated repeatedly that this was always the goal. A point they admit, including after the release of the original Green New Deal, whose author (we can’t ever let you forget this) said, “Do you guys think of it as a climate thing?” Chakrabarti continued. “Because we really think of it as a how-do-you-change-the-entire-economy thing.”

No air travel for you and the end of private transportation.

The goal is to force your mobility profile back into the 19th century. Trains, horses, walking. The only other reasonable explanation is that they are all idiots, and while the rank-and-file prog parrots might be considered that stupid, the people at the top are not.

They’re evil.

My son (7) was talking to me about how we should get an electric car next because of how ICE pollutes. We had a good conversation about how they pollute very similarly overall, just at different parts of their lifecycle - but how that has and will shift. We also discussed the useful life of an ICE vehicle which can last significantly longer than an EV and the types of waste each creates.

I don't think he fully understands it yet, but I know he is thinking about it now. EVs will eventually win out, however.

I won't buy any new vehicle though. Since you never truly own them.

I think they serve a purpose and that purpose is commuting. If I lived in a city and commuted I’d own one in a heartbeat. Being as though we live in a more rural area and I don’t have to commute, it makes no sense to me. Not at least until I can get 350 miles of range on the highway and full charges in the same amount of time it takes me to fill my tank with gas.

I think they serve a purpose and that purpose is commuting. If I lived in a city and commuted I’d own one in a heartbeat. Being as though we live in a more rural area and I don’t have to commute, it makes no sense to me. Not at least until I can get 350 miles of range on the highway and full charges in the same amount of time it takes me to fill my tank with gas.

I wouldn’t need fill ups to be the same time but more reasonable would help.

The article talks about line losses and such but trucking fuel isn’t free either.

I’m worried about the cost of electricity in the future, our lack of nuclear and accompanying infrastructure.

I put 27K on my vehicle last year (and I work from home). Mostly visiting my daughter in NC, my son in NH and going to the PA house every 2-3 weekends. An EV would do nothing for me, except long stops trying to charge it up on the trips. To me, the people that can utilize one of these vehicles are the same people that really does not need it. A Honda civic that gets 38MPG would be more efficient.

I'm worried about the cost of electricity in the future, our lack of nuclear and accompanying infrastructure.

The US couldn't go fully electric today. Our electricity reserve (excess capacity) is 5-7%, just imagine the new load added if every house also had EVs... Picture Texas during the recent hot and cold surges of the last couple years nationally.

Here's a US Energy flowchart. Now take the categories in green, gray, red, and blue and put them in the other categories within the next 10 years. Electricity will become very expensive and unstable.

Energy_US_2019.png

The goal is to force everyone into high density cities with electricity as your only energy option and no private transportation.

Electricity can be turned off with a switch based on your social credit score. No train, bus, apartment, heat, etc, if you step out of line. Like China now.

The US couldn't go fully electric today. Our electricity reserve (excess capacity) is 5-7%, just imagine the new load added if every house also had EVs... Picture Texas during the recent hot and cold surges of the last couple years nationally.

Already a problem in Europe.

Reactions: pc1p
I wouldn’t need fill ups to be the same time but more reasonable would help.

The article talks about line losses and such but trucking fuel isn’t free either.

I’m worried about the cost of electricity in the future, our lack of nuclear and accompanying infrastructure.

Mark my word (and I know I say this all the time), but one day it will cost just as much to charge your EV as it will to fill your tank with gas. I'd bet just about anything on that. Perhaps I could be wrong if we were to embrace nuclear power as a nation, but the environmentalists love to hate nuclear, so we'll see.

In addition, remember that batteries degrade over time. Buy a brand new EV down here in Arizona (where it's hot) and you might find in the first year your battery has 100% capacity, then the following year it has 90%, 80%, etc. This is at least what I've heard from the folks I know down here in Arizona who own EVs.

I think it's a cool technology in many ways. I always preferred electric RCs over gas / nitro because they're much more fun to drive with all the torque. Still, I think for most of us at this point in time they're more of a novelty than a replacement for ICE vehicles.

Reactions: Danarch and BlueC
Mark my word (and I know I say this all the time), but one day it will cost just as much to charge your EV as it will to fill your tank with gas. I'd bet just about anything on that. Perhaps I could be wrong if we were to embrace nuclear power as a nation, but the environmentalists love to hate nuclear, so we'll see.

No doubt once they stop subsidizing it they’ll tax chargers at a rate exceeding that of fuel.

Reactions: Chris
I’ll never believe any government is being honest about the energy problem until they take an unbiased, work as a team, all hands on deck approach like they did with the Manhattan Project or the moon landing. Otherwise, it just looks like a power grabbing boondoggle to me. And that’s unfortunate because we do need to find something other than fossil fuels for our future. Some day the wells may start to run dry and then we’ll all start to look like Mad Max.

Reactions: Zorba
I think they have their place - and would have a bigger piece of the pie if they weren't so damned expensive. Batteries are a huge part of that expense - I'd be happy with an EV with a 60 mile real world range at mostly freeway speeds that used cheap and easy to replace lead acid batteries. And no bullshit technology - just a good PWM controller and an E-meter.

Reactions: BlueC
Did any one notice the common problem? Freedom. In any situation electric vehicles are limited. Perfect only for what our Gov. has in plan for everyone. And they are making everyone pay to limit themselves. When did the consumer lose the right to buy what we want. My jeep can go anywhere, anytime, regardless of how hard I have to work to pay for gas. And I may modify the engine, etc anyway I want. You know, freedom. Just what jeep is suppose to stand for. More and more I see my generation and a few smarter younger people cling to their own, paid for older vehicles then newer high tech. gov. monitoring vehicles. Be careful out there with your decisions on what to drive. Or wait on the train or care for your horse. May God Bless; DL

When did the consumer lose the right to buy what we want?
When the Gov't started mandating all sorts of crap on cars - AND - people started demanding it because of perceived "safety" and/or "convenience". Goddess forbid a car (or anything else for that matter) not be CONVEEEEEEENEEEEAAANNNNTT. Then the CarCos saddled us with "packages", making us buy a bunch of expensive nonsense in order to get the one or two features we really want. Add to that the ever inflating "standard equipment" (which is nothing more than yet another "package" that car buyers can't opt out of) and you've arrived a where we are today: Overpriced and increasingly unreliable and unrepairable luxury vehicles. Don't get me started on the subscription model that just about every consumer industry is moving towards.

I'm convinced new cars are more dangerous. So many things beep at you it's hard to know wtf is going on or what to look for. I've never been let down turning to check my blind spot...

When your kids can get $1.7 billion after the accident that kills you maybe it’s not so bad.