EV thread

Unfortunately, you can't beat physics. Physics wins, EVERY time!

Or, as somebody smart once said, ΔS=Q/T, where Q is the heat that transfers energy during a process, T is the absolute temperate of the process, and S is entropy. In other words, the second law of thermodynamics: Entropy always increases.

I was being humorous.

Reactions: Zorba
Unfortunately, you can't beat physics. Physics wins, EVERY time!

Yeah but it's funny watching people try!

200.gif

Stolen from another forum, not my info.

The Congolese mines where kids are paid $2-a-day to dig for cobalt.

the_largest_cobalt_mines_in_the_-a-3_1675084854760.jpg

rs_toil_for_2_a_day_The_DRC_boas-a-6_1675084855207.jpg

e_mines_for_cobalt_in_the_hills_-a-1_1675084854755.jpg

ns_of_manual_labor_in_the_artisa-a-2_1675084854758.jpg

Cobalt mining in the Congo
Video

Barefoot children covered in chemicals, endlessly smashing open rocks for $2-a-day; exhausted new mothers with their babies strapped to them, sifting through nets of rocks in the hopes of finding the precious cobalt.

Those are among the powerful images obtained by Siddharth Kara over the last several years in the Katanga region, that can be shared now ahead of the publication of his new book - Cobalt Red: How the Blood of the Congo Powers Our Lives.

The book paints a damning picture of the desperate demand for cobalt in the West, and the deadly effects of it among African families.

Speaking to DailyMail.com ahead of its release, Kara, an adjunct lecturer at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, said his research proves that the confident assurances of big tech can't be trusted.

'There are hundreds of thousands of the poorest people on the planet [mining for cobalt].

'The moral clock has been dialed back to colonial times.

'They’re doing it for $2-a-day and for them, it’s the difference between whether or not they eat that day so they don’t have the option of saying no.'

The sudden demand for the eco-friendly vehicles, ironically driven by environmentally-conscious, is having a catastrophic effect in Congo, according to Kara.

'It’s supposed to be a green choice, getting an EV. Well it’s not green for everybody.'

Coupled with the immediate problems of overpopulated, underregulated mines is the added danger of cobalt's toxicity.

66968947-11668015-image-a-9_1675084855251.jpg

66968945-11668015-image-a-7_1675084855208.jpg

_men_and_boys_who_carry_sacks_of-a-8_1675084855209.jpg

in_the_DRC_hoping_to_find_cobal-a-11_1675084855717.jpg

en_mining_for_cobalt_in_the_DRC-a-10_1675084855412.jpg

Prolonged exposure to cobalt can lead to lung disease, deafness and, according to Kara who has spent years in the Congo researching the subject, birth defects and various forms of cancer.

'This is blood diamonds multiplied by a thousand – diamonds aren’t toxic.

'And you buy a diamond once, maybe twice, in your life, whereas western society can’t function for more than 24 hours without devices that rely on cobalt,' he said.

Among his videos is one of two children, covered in toxic chemicals from the mine, smashing their rocks open.

They cannot be older than seven or eight.

Big tech companies like Microsoft, Tesla, Apple and Samsung have made various promises and commitments to move away from using cobalt in products.

They have also leaned on the fact that many of the mines are Chinese owned and operated, claiming it's out of their control what goes on those operations.

vices_Cobalt_found_in_rocks_is_-a-24_1674758996448.jpg

vices_Cobalt_found_in_rocks_is_-a-26_1674758996652.jpg

From the earth, to our handheld devices: Cobalt, found in rocks, is the key mineral that prevents batteries from overheating and extends their lifespan

Continued

Stolen from another forum, not my info.

The Congolese mines where kids are paid $2-a-day to dig for cobalt.

View attachment 396247

View attachment 396248

View attachment 396249

View attachment 396250

Cobalt mining in the Congo
Video

Barefoot children covered in chemicals, endlessly smashing open rocks for $2-a-day; exhausted new mothers with their babies strapped to them, sifting through nets of rocks in the hopes of finding the precious cobalt.

Those are among the powerful images obtained by Siddharth Kara over the last several years in the Katanga region, that can be shared now ahead of the publication of his new book - Cobalt Red: How the Blood of the Congo Powers Our Lives.

The book paints a damning picture of the desperate demand for cobalt in the West, and the deadly effects of it among African families.

Speaking to DailyMail.com ahead of its release, Kara, an adjunct lecturer at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, said his research proves that the confident assurances of big tech can't be trusted.

'There are hundreds of thousands of the poorest people on the planet [mining for cobalt].

'The moral clock has been dialed back to colonial times.

'They’re doing it for $2-a-day and for them, it’s the difference between whether or not they eat that day so they don’t have the option of saying no.'

The sudden demand for the eco-friendly vehicles, ironically driven by environmentally-conscious, is having a catastrophic effect in Congo, according to Kara.

'It’s supposed to be a green choice, getting an EV. Well it’s not green for everybody.'

Coupled with the immediate problems of overpopulated, underregulated mines is the added danger of cobalt's toxicity.

View attachment 396251

View attachment 396252

View attachment 396253

View attachment 396254

View attachment 396255

Prolonged exposure to cobalt can lead to lung disease, deafness and, according to Kara who has spent years in the Congo researching the subject, birth defects and various forms of cancer.

'This is blood diamonds multiplied by a thousand – diamonds aren’t toxic.

'And you buy a diamond once, maybe twice, in your life, whereas western society can’t function for more than 24 hours without devices that rely on cobalt,' he said.

Among his videos is one of two children, covered in toxic chemicals from the mine, smashing their rocks open.

They cannot be older than seven or eight.

Big tech companies like Microsoft, Tesla, Apple and Samsung have made various promises and commitments to move away from using cobalt in products.

They have also leaned on the fact that many of the mines are Chinese owned and operated, claiming it's out of their control what goes on those operations.

View attachment 396256

View attachment 396257

From the earth, to our handheld devices: Cobalt, found in rocks, is the key mineral that prevents batteries from overheating and extends their lifespan

Continued

He was on Joe Rogan Experience on Spotify, Episode 1914 released on 12/22, Kara Siddharth. About 70% of the world's cobalt comes from the Congo. All this is being ignored by the people pushing supposed EV vehicles.

Strad takes his Hummer on Hells Revenge. Then runs into issues charging.

Needed towed.

41 minute charge added 64 miles and cost $19.80.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: suicideking
https://jalopnik.com/the-electric-charging-experience-is-hindering-ev-adopti-1850108717

Filling your car with gas is easy. You pull up to a pump, put the nozzle in the hole, and hit the button for the cheapest swill your car will accept. A few minutes later, it clicks, and you’re done. Charging electric devices is even simpler — we’ve all plugged in a phone, put a toothbrush on a stand, or popped a battery into a wall charger. So why is charging an electric car so difficult?

It seems there are a few reasons: Unreliable chargers with finicky connections to the cars they’re serving, the struggles of coding software to play nice with every single make and model — even EV owners who take up fast-charging spots with their slow-charging cars. The EV charging experience is bad, and it’s making electric car ownership (or the appeal of it) difficult.

More at link

I rented a Tesla, long story. I don't hate it but I'm not a fan. One morning it was 49 degrees, when I plugged it in the screen said due to the cold temperature the battery will charge slower.

Well isn't that handy for those living in the north. Where I lived in Maine if I had a Tesla I would need to drive at least 30 minutes to get it charged.

I took my grandson to Pepa Pig land, I had to go way out of my way to charge the car at the nearest charging station. I would've thought Florida would have charging stations everywhere.

I guess I could get use to taking it on short trips. I couldn't handle driving between Maine in Florida.

I rented a Tesla, long story. I don't hate it but I'm not a fan. One morning it was 49 degrees, when I plugged it in the screen said due to the cold temperature the battery will charge slower.

Well isn't that handy for those living in the north. Where I lived in Maine if I had a Tesla I would need to drive at least 30 minutes to get it charged.

I took my grandson to Pepa Pig land, I had to go way out of my way to charge the car at the nearest charging station. I would've thought Florida would have charging stations everywhere.

I guess I could get use to taking it on short trips. I couldn't handle driving between Maine in Florida.

Who gets an ev and doesn't also get a charger? You just plug it in when you get home and it isn't an issue. Just like charging your phone. Not an issue for the daily commute. And I'd rather plug in at home every night than go to the gas station every week.

They are kinda shit for traveling though. Have to plan things out first. Better to take a gas car on long trips.

Who gets an ev and doesn't also get a charger? You just plug it in when you get home and it isn't an issue. Just like charging your phone. Not an issue for the daily commute. And I'd rather plug in at home every night than go to the gas station every week.

They are kinda shit for traveling though. Have to plan things out first. Better to take a gas car on long trips.

I'm renting, I had to ask some guy who was changing his car what to do. Herts didn't tell me anything. I'm trying to figure out how to pay and the guy explains how they collect the money.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the plug in hybrid. I was looking at the Honda Insight as my next car whenever that might be, years off hopefully. It has a small battery which gets you around 30 miles then switches to the gas engine. That would be perfect for my daily commute which is around 32 miles, so during the work week I'd barely burn any gas but for those occasions where I drive more than just the commute I'd be covered, and particularly for long trips I'd be covered as well. I don't do a lot of driving, & the fun weekend driving is usually in the TJ, but I do drive out to Pittsburgh a couple times a year to visit my daughter which is a 500 mile round trip so I'd be good there too.

But alas I learned that Honda killed the insight for 2023. Haven't looked too much into it to see if there's a replacement or if some other manufacturer is making them, but the concept of a plug in hybrid seems to me to be the best of both worlds, you don't need a 1000lb battery, you don't need to rely on only battery power, range anxiety is eliminated, cost is lower too, & for day to day driving you can avoid the gas station for quite long stretches assuming your commute is within the range of the small battery... I'm really kind of surprised all manufacturers aren't making cars like this.

Edit: I saw a video a while ago about the next generation Prius, I believe one version is plug in, they've come a long way appearance-wise:

Toyota_Prius_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodrow
I'm renting, I had to ask some guy who was changing his car what to do. Herts didn't tell me anything. I'm trying to figure out how to pay and the guy explains how they collect the money.

When I rented mine I never had to charge it. I returned it with something like 20% charge. They also didn't charge me anything for them to charge it back up.

When I rented mine I never had to charge it. I returned it with something like 20% charge. They also didn't charge me anything for them to charge it back up.

I have to bring it back with 70 percent. I've had to charge it twice so far.

I don't hate tech like someone we all know, I'm just not good at it. I can see it might be good for some people but not for me.

I have a new Altima that I bought not thinking I would be moving. If I did I wouldn't have got the AWD SL model. I can't just change one tire if one goes bad. The SL has all the winter stuff that I don't need. I could have saved money buying FWD S, or SV models.

Life changes why buy a car that can really only take short drives without charging all the time? I think it's to expensive to use as a fill in car.

Reactions: Apparition
I have to bring it back with 70 percent. I've had to charge it twice so far.

I don't hate tech like someone we all know, I'm just not good at it. I can see it might be good for some people but not for me.

I have a new Altima that I bought not thinking I would be moving. If I did I wouldn't have got the AWD SL model. I can't just change one tire if one goes bad. The SL has all the winter stuff that I don't need. I could have saved money buying FWD S, or SV models.

Life changes why buy a car that can really only take short drives without charging all the time? I think it's to expensive to use as a fill in car.

Have you plugged it in while at your house? That's where EV's really shine.