EV thread

I'm not a big EV fan as of yet but also don't knock others for having one. My son just got a BMW EV for his commute and if I was commuting to work I might be looking at one also. But I've also been down the road where I was attempting to get a fuel efficient vehicle and bought a smaller sedan. Then the first time I tried to load it up and take the family camping it was a FAIL. So I went out and bought a truck and kept the econbox for the wife.
I'm glad they are working on this technology and hope it one day does become more of a norm. As many have commented I do not like being forced. Same with most things, if you're shoving it down my throat than I'm likely not guunna take to well it & WA is foolish enough to be following in CA footsteps with ICE ban.

You bought a small sedan for its fuel efficiency then tried to use it for something it wasn't designed for? 😲

Not the article that goes with the Meme but it still supports what the meme is saying. Not good for the EV truck market.

https://www.westernjournal.com/jour...&utm_content=2022-08-03&utm_campaign=topdaily

View attachment 360912

Truck on left New Ford Lightning electric truck, full charge pulling a 6,000 lb trailer got only 86 miles even though the Fords computer said in the beginning 167 miles before recharging and was at 9% at the end of 80 miles. Plus, panicking and he was freaking out to find a charging station. Truck on right new GMC ultimate gasoline. Both had exact same tire pressure both had A/C set at 70 the GMC had a range of 280 miles on 24 gallons of fuel, and had hands free driving even pulling trailer, and heads up display. Pulling exact same trailers. The GMC still had a little over 3/4 of a tank at the 86 miles. So, tell me why in the hell would I want an electric vehicle! It takes about 7 min to refill the GMC and hours to charge the Ford. Screw that horse shit!

Again this is where I go back to my complaint, because they're essentially hamstringing $100k trucks. If these politicians wanted the best they'd let the market decide and I really think Plug In hybrids as I keep describing would be the norm within a decade in many urban areas. And since batteries are so incredibly expensive, replacing a bunch of batteries with a gen set which can be ran at incredible efficiencies is a no-brainer.

As soon as the cybertruck was mentioned people were already talking about adding trailers with generators or simply a generator to go into the back of the truck so the truck would be able to make it out of the city without being trailered just to hit trails. However right now the market seems to be for incredibly rich, mostly Culturally Urban Liberal Types, are gobbling up these electric trucks and they're mostly tokens in their fleet of vehicles to show they have an Adult sized big wheels. Occasionally they'll probably even put something in the bed and drive around town so everyone knows that they're also for the current "it".

I don't mean to be giving buyers too much crap, because if I could, I'd do this too. However I can't get a $120k truck for around town and then a $80k truck for doing actual work. And if I could afford both of those, I'd make my own biodiesel and I'd have an insane solar array and battery backup for my mansion. Plus I'd own so much other stuff if I could afford a $100k truck. I'd rather stick with diesel and get an excavator, dozer, new track loader, new tractors, new equipment, new trailers, newish semi, etc before I get a truck that I can't realistically tow anything with or reliably go on trips. An ebike is 1 thing...

I think most that live in rural settings will continue to prefer the simplicity of gas/diesel powered trucks, since reliability and having mechanic skills are all much more common and often required. Around the farm, excluding the Amish, I would venture to guess that more people around farms know how to swap an engine than city dwellers know how to change starting batteries, maybe even how to change a tire.

However I'd love to have a truck where I could pretty much use no fuel commuting to my day job and then when I have to do actual work with a vehicle, I can burn fuel and not worry about finding a charging station because I need my truck to be a truck. Of course the amount of fuel I spend going to my day job is so little that the EV thing makes no sense and they can't haul or tow, so they make no sense for me either.

I've been driving my wife's Prius just to keep the miles off of our trucks and my Jeep because ultimately I have no use for the Prius and if it stays stationary rodents love it and it's so complicated that 1 chewed wire can turn into a nightmare. I should probably sell it, but it's convenient and I don't trust that the current administration/bureaucracy won't drive up fuel prices more than they've already done so.

You know whats funny, yall are complaining about something thats not actually happening. Everyone here is driving a ~20 year old car (our TJs). The bans are for NEW sales, you can still drive older cars... so that truck you love for long haul towing, you can still drive it.

You know whats funny, yall are complaining about something thats not actually happening. Everyone here is driving a ~20 year old car (our TJs). The bans are for NEW sales, you can still drive older cars... so that truck you love for long haul towing, you can still drive it.

You really like to read into things. No one has said they are banning ICE rigs. But it's still foolish of CA & WA and other states to ban the sale of new ICE vehicles until there is an infostructure to support EV owned by 50% or more.

The point being made as far as I can see is that there needs to be some huge leaps in technology and battery capacity before those trucks we LOVE as you say can be replaced by a EV rig.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Facts are facts. I don't complain about anything other than government interference. They are going to make gas more expensive. They paused it for the mid terms for partisan re-election purposes by releasing 1 million barrels a day from the strategic reserve. I noticed prices are rising again anyway. When they shut off that spigot after the elections, prices will spike again. New normal, blah, blah, blah.

Everything for me is a cost benefit analysis. If more people did them before they made purchases, there would be less complaigning on the internet.

There will be a spike in electricity prices as larger numbers of EVs begin to compete with ACs, and the required grid/power ugrades are passed on to all electricity consumers. So everyone pays more whether they have an EV or not. This stuff is basic economics and not considered by most people; because most people can't understand basic economic principles or do basic math.

In the market world (stocks or commodities) the best time to make money is in periods of rapid change or randomly changing laws.

Boring consistent markets make for boring consistent returns. Like some CD in a bank.

I've learned to accept government interference as a given, and try to stay in front of it. Which is why I'm looking at PHEVs and solar systems. They make no financial sense to me at this point, but neither does the tax code.

It's also why energy companies are lining up at the piggy trough to rake in the money. We signed an agreement with a company to develop projects in the US. They have access to $500 billion in overseas pension money to invest. This stuff is serious given the government mandates. And these companies will require a return on investment. So if they are lagging, expect them to buy the politicians needed to mandate more.

Last edited:
You really like to read into things. No one has said they are banning ICE rigs. But it's still foolish of CA & WA and other states to ban the sale of new ICE vehicles until there is an infostructure to support EV owned by 50% or more.
No one is going to increase the supply of infrastructure (except for maybe tesla) when there is not that much demand. As demand rises youll start to see a rise of infrastructure to support it. Now that there is this new ICE ban, it will guarantee the demand which will give companies more confidence to spend money now on infrastructure supply.

More Than 300 New Mines Required to Meet Electrification Goals​

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com...lN1vnlxcmnu7xPyIbCxmPmX6dlC042wD4ey5qkB3AHTuc

Whats the point of this article? Yes, supply would need to increase to meet the demand? Isn't that obvious with anything? Are you just another "shit article" poster?

No one is going to increase the supply of infrastructure (except for maybe tesla) when there is not that much demand. As demand rises youll start to see a rise of infrastructure to support it. Now that there is this new ICE ban, it will guarantee the demand which will give companies more confidence to spend money now on infrastructure supply.

Whats the point of this article? Yes, supply would need to increase to meet the demand? Isn't that obvious with anything? Are you just another "shit article" poster?

If it has to be explained then there isn't any point.

I swear I come in peace. I enjoy having discussions where I'm disagreed with, as long as we both are actually sticking with reality. That's a great way to learn something and that's all I'm wanting to do about this subject and unfortunately there's politics involved in this subject.

With that said....

Don't get too much freedom all over yourself :). You're happy because they aren't stealing your stuff directly yet? Though I've seen some articles about banning pre-2010 trucks. I didn't read too much about it, because I don't care, it's CA and neither do you probably.

Banning new sales isn't putting your thumb on the scale. It's throwing away the scale. I'm interested in what the black market is going to look like.

If you look at the progression of CARB and all the other non-sense mostly from CA they're just incrementally going in 1 direction and it's mostly political science or at best single factor analysis. The only slippery slope they seem to be looking at is how far until they get recalled and removed from office. Good luck.

This non-sense though is also driving away would be buyers and adopters of this product. I simply want the best product, but CA is clearly showing they have other motives in the thinnest of veils of saving the world. Yet until they ban ALL ICE in vehicles then most of CA is going to be driving old vehicles with older or no emissions equipped vehicles and I'm just guessing but if your finances aren't wonderful and your taxes are high and your cost of living is outrageous, then it may be harder to purchase and keep a $60k vehicle paid for, taxed, charged, insured, not stolen, not vandalized etc even if it's cheaper in the long run.

I do love your Field of Dreams government and hopefully it works out well. The problem is that the "if you build it they will come approach" is, is that the tech is constantly in flux. The standards are still going to be in their infancy and CA will have already banned new ICE vehicles. That approach works for a regulation baseball field in a fictional story, but it's more complicated in real life when people are still trying to figure out what the field looks like and ordinary people that are used to spending $35k on a vehicle are going to be looking at $60k + whatever the gov credit is and many just aren't going to want to be a Beta tester. And what people think it'll look like isn't going to work properly and this stuff needs to be approached from a different angle than the gasoline fill up model.

I had planned on being an early adopter of EV, but my wife was able to work from home and then changed jobs so she drive 35 mi per week compared to 400-500 mi/week, so we didn't buy an EV eventhough I think it was pretty much a toss up financially with something like another Prius, probably slightly used. I'm still here and interested and I WANT EVs bashed, because I want to be critical until EVs PROVE their worth and though cool I care very little about 0-60 as long as it eventually hits 60. I'm an engineer, being critical of designs is what engineers do, because it makes the best products. I'm a cheerleader when something is proven, but we are not there on EVs.

We drive old Jeeps that resemble even older Jeeps, please expect old men to act like old men. We're going to be critical, because we haven't seen it work, but we've seen a lot of stuff fail and I seem to remember EV failures a decade or so ago, doesn't mean we aren't quietly rooting for them, but we've bumped our heads on reality enough to not drink the cool-aid and grab a beer instead.

Reactions: TKFX

For now, but how long before they have a mandatory cash for clunkers program?

You like your car? You can keep your car...

$35K for a new car? I'm certainly not "used to" that! Most expensive car I ever bought new was $14K. Inflate that to the low 20s today, but I'd still bitch about it. Not that I'm buying anything new anyway, thank Goddess.

You like your car? You can keep your car...

$35K for a new car? I'm certainly not "used to" that! Most expensive car I ever bought new was $14K. Inflate that to the low 20s today, but I'd still bitch about it. Not that I'm buying anything new anyway, thank Goddess.

I was guessing at $35k. I know before I did my engine swap I was really thinking about getting a new truck, but at the time ~$45k was what I was looking at and that didn't add in the additional taxes and high insurance cost I would get, plus with all of the emissions crap on it, I wasn't too thrilled. Of course a better truck in every way was available overseas for $35k brand new, but that's too complicated. Getting vehicle halfs from overseas is a possibility, but expensive too.

The BS now is that the trucks I'm looking at are starting at $60k, just to be close to the equivalent of my most expensive vehicle that I bought which was $12k. I certainly admit that the $100k EV trucks do look enticing, but there's no reality where I'm mentally ready to spend that kind of money on a vehicle and I'm not sure if I could afford it or not. And I couldn't even tow what I need where I need. I think I bought my house a few years ago for ~$75k and there's something about buying vehicles that cost more than my house. So I'll probably get an Ebike for ~$2k instead.

I was guessing at $35k. I know before I did my engine swap I was really thinking about getting a new truck, but at the time ~$45k was what I was looking at and that didn't add in the additional taxes and high insurance cost I would get, plus with all of the emissions crap on it, I wasn't too thrilled. Of course a better truck in every way was available overseas for $35k brand new, but that's too complicated. Getting vehicle halfs from overseas is a possibility, but expensive too.

The BS now is that the trucks I'm looking at are starting at $60k, just to be close to the equivalent of my most expensive vehicle that I bought which was $12k. I certainly admit that the $100k EV trucks do look enticing, but there's no reality where I'm mentally ready to spend that kind of money on a vehicle and I'm not sure if I could afford it or not. And I couldn't even tow what I need where I need. I think I bought my house a few years ago for ~$75k and there's something about buying vehicles that cost more than my house. So I'll probably get an Ebike for ~$2k instead.

Shit I wish I could buy a house for $75k still. WA isn't a inexpensive housing market.
I swore I'd never buy a $80k + vehicle but proved myself wrong 3 years ago. The only reason I bought newer was to try stay legal when towing a heavier load. My 2006 Ram 3500 was rated for around 18k lbs. My 2018 Ram 3500 was rated for 25k lbs the way it was setup. If I'd found one with 4.10 gears it was rated for 31.5k lbs. But after looking at what I wanted I traded up to something larger.

Like many of us here I'm interested in EV or I wouldn't be discussing this. But what I don't like is being forced to go to EV. Yep no one is banning ICE vehicles yet. And I don't see it happening for a long time. But if I live in a state where I cannot buy a ICE vehicle after a certain date it does affect me. What will this do to the price of ICE vehicles? They are already crazy in price. It isn't like when I was a teenager and could buy a car for $900.

And until we figure out a better method of producing the batteries required for these EV vehicles I see it as a issue.

It isn't like when I was a teenager and could buy a car for $900.
I was curious of inflation adjusted dollars, plugging in 1969 as an arbitrary date (basically me if I was mid 50s) - that's $7,263.05 today.

And until we figure out a better method of producing the batteries required for these EV vehicles I see it as a issue.
It definitely is, there's also a huge unknown of the aftermarket when the batteries are done and need to be recycled last I have looked.