Evap Canister Plug?

Bitsniffer

Supporting Member
Was working under the hood of my 2000 Wrangler TJ Sahara w/ 4.0L (Purchased in Tx original owner) and I slipped and fell against the Evap Canister. My canister does not have a hose coming from the top going to Leak Detection, rather a large black plastic button or mushroom top plug where the hose typically connects. When I fell, it broke off this mushroom looking plug. I simply stuck it back into the hole since it broke mid-shaft of this item. I have spent the afternoon looking at forums, parts lists, Google machine, etc and cannot find a "plug" per se but I also cannot find any pictures of this setup. Sorry, I don't have any pictures with me since I am at work and the Jeep is not my DD. I can take some when I get home.

Have you heard of a plug with this setup? Perhaps it is because I am from Texas and we do not have emissions testing for inspection?
I have not driven the Jeep yet for I am still working on cleaning up old electric wiring, adding a new light bar, tinkering, ...

Appreciate your help.

While I don't know the answer, I can tell you that I am removing my entire evaporations system this week since I disabled it in my PCM (so I no longer need it). If you want my old evap system (it only has 56k miles on it), I'll be happy to give it to you for free as long as you pay shipping.

Mine has zero issues whatsoever.

While I don't know the answer, I can tell you that I am removing my entire evaporations system this week since I disabled it in my PCM (so I no longer need it). If you want my old evap system (it only has 56k miles on it), I'll be happy to give it to you for free as long as you pay shipping.

Mine has zero issues whatsoever.

Thanks Chris. Let me figure out what is going on and if I need to do anything. Would gladly pay for the shipping.

Thanks Chris. Let me figure out what is going on and if I need to do anything. Would gladly pay for the shipping.

Sounds good! I wish I could answer your question, I just haven't ever looked at the evap system in depth being as though it's stuffed up there in the passenger rear wheel well.

I will say however that ALL TJs had the same emission system, regardless of state.

On the 00 year model, they are under the hood, right next to the washer fluid reservoir on the driver's side, right above the wheel well. I was checking fittings on my ARB compressor that is mounted on the secondary battery try and slipped.

Oh, I didn't realize the earlier ones we're different. In that case, mine wouldn't even work for yours as mine is an 05 and they are in an entirely different location. Hopefully someone else with an earlier model will chime in.