EVATHETJ...Zero To Hero, One Part At A Time

Evathetj

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep TJ

Name: Eva

Backstory: I Bought Eva for $800 from a friend who used her only for winter driving, zero off-road time. I hit a deer at 120 km/h shortly after, freak timing, nothing could be done to avoid it on the highway without risking other peoples lives. I figured she was a write off and decided to use her as a winter beater and then give her up the following spring. All winter long I never plugged her in once despite temperatures reaching -45 degrees C. Did not change the oil for over 20,000 km. Did 0 maintenance. Despite this...the 4.0L I6 absolutely refused to fail, started every morning without missing a beat. By the spring...I knew I had caught the bug. I've been off roading since I was a child so I knew what she would be capable of with the right parts. Last month is when I made the decision to drop an inordinate amount of money on the first stage of the build.

Budget: Hahahahahahahaha

Goal: Build a LCOG DD with high quality parts.

Build list (currently installed or sitting in the garage)
-Currie Rockjock 44 front axle
-Currie Rockjock 44 rear axle
-Currie Currectlync steering
-Metalcloak duroflex control arms
-Metalcloak front and rear track bar
-Metalcloak 6'' overline system
-Fox 2.0 shocks
-Fox steering stabilizer
-1'' H&R Springs
-PSC steering box
-PSC steering pump
-EBC stage 3 rotors and pads
-Banks torque tube headers
-Magnaflow glasspack exhaust
-JCR front dagger stubby bumper
-JCR rear dagger bumper
-JKS 1.25'' body lift
-Metalcloak steering box skid plate
-LED headlights and taillights
-Rhino lined tub
-Bedrug front and rear interior kit
-Kenwood stereo
-Optima yellowtop battery

***Many more parts coming in the near future

Bucket list items:
-Moab with my Dad (he's slowly coming around to loving Eva):aaaaa:
-Black Bear Pass with my wife (she secretly loves Eva) ;)

I started an Instagram page to document the build as it progresses (hopefully) rapidly in the next coming weeks. If any of you are so inclined, I'll leave a link to my page below, if you like what you see feel free to toss a follow my way. Knowing there are people waiting to see what becomes of Eva is good motivation to get my ass into the garage and start turning wrenches.

If you're not so inclined to go to Instagram, I'll still be loading pictures in this thread in the next few days, so no worries there. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'm looking forward to the future!

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/evathetj/

Welcome to the forum. A lot of knowledge in this forum and very friendly Jeepers. Nice list of parts, can't wait to see pic's of Eva.

Backstory: I Bought Eva for $800 from a friend who used her only for winter driving, zero off-road time. I hit a deer at 120 km/h shortly after, freak timing, nothing could be done to avoid it on the highway without risking other peoples lives. I figured she was a write off and decided to use her as a winter beater and then give her up the following spring. All winter long I never plugged her in once despite temperatures reaching -45 degrees C. Did not change the oil for over 20,000 km. Did 0 maintenance. Despite this...the 4.0L I6 absolutely refused to fail, started every morning without missing a beat. By the spring...I knew I had caught the bug. I've been off roading since I was a child so I knew what she would be capable of with the right parts. Last month is when I made the decision to drop an inordinate amount of money on the first stage of the build.

-Fox 2.0 shocks
-Fox steering stabilizer
-1'' H&R Springs
-PSC steering box
-PSC steering pump
-JCR rear dagger bumper
-JKS 1.25'' body lift
-Rhino lined tub
-Kenwood stereo

Bucket list items:

I started an Instagram page to document the build as it progresses (hopefully) rapidly in the next coming weeks. If any of you are so inclined, I'll leave a link to my page below, if you like what you see feel free to toss a follow my way. Knowing there are people waiting to see what becomes of Eva is good motivation to get my ass into the garage and start turning wrenches.

If you're not so inclined to go to Instagram, I'll still be loading pictures in this thread in the next few days, so no worries there. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'm looking forward to the future!

'you married?

Welcome to the forum. A lot of knowledge in this forum and very friendly Jeepers. Nice list of parts, can't wait to see pic's of Eva.

Thanks very much! I'll work on getting some uploaded after work today
Looks like some nice parts...are you going with 35's? Didn't see tires listed there.

Welcome!

Oops, meant to specify this, mah bad. Seeing as how it's a DD and I don't want to have to do a stretch, 35's all the way, right you are, I figure having 35s and locked front and rear ends should be enough to get me through most predicaments...hopefully. will be using 35x12.5x15 duratracs, lots of snow in the winters here in Edmonton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H

-Fox 2.0 shocks
-Fox steering stabilizer
-1'' H&R Springs
-PSC steering box
-PSC steering pump
-JCR rear dagger bumper
-JKS 1.25'' body lift
-Rhino lined tub
-Kenwood stereo

Bucket list items:

Welcome to WTJF! It looks like you have chosen some nice stuff for sure. At 1” of lift with the fenders any idea the travel numbers you are looking at? I will say that is quite a bit of work to keep the stock shovel. If you are playing in the rocks just remember your oil pan is super exposed. What lockers did you go for in the RJ’s?

Okay, I don't use social media, but based on your mod list, I demand pictures :p

You my friend have some great taste in mods, that's for sure. Can't wait to see photos.

Reactions: StG58
Welcome to WTJF! It looks like you have chosen some nice stuff for sure. At 1” of lift with the fenders any idea the travel numbers you are looking at? I will say that is quite a bit of work to keep the stock shovel. If you are playing in the rocks just remember your oil pan is super exposed. What lockers did you go for in the RJ’s?

Glad you asked, the parts associated with all of that will be bought in stage 2 of the build. Was considering going a full Savvy system underneath...but I'm partial to Rokmen, not to mention I'd like the peace of mind knowing it's full steel rather than aluminum

As for numbers, that's something I'll need to dial in once they're installed, hoping a few of you fine ladies and gents will lend me your expertise in that area when the time comes.

And I had elockers installed on the RJ's. Ive used air lockers in the past and they work great, but I had a few too many negative experiences for my taste, so c'est la vie

Glad you asked, the parts associated with all of that will be bought in stage 2 of the build. Was considering going a full Savvy system underneath...but I'm partial to Rokmen, not to mention I'd like the peace of mind knowing it's full steel rather than aluminum

As for numbers, that's something I'll need to dial in once they're installed, hoping a few of you fine ladies and gents will lend me your expertise in that area when the time comes.

And I had elockers installed on the RJ's. Ive used air lockers in the past and they work great, but I had a few too many negative experiences for my taste, so c'est la vie
Excited to see it all come together!

Now would be the time for me to nut up or shut up. Don't expect immense high quality pictures, using some from the other day as well as a few quick ones of the axles as I walked in through the garage just now, today was a long day at work lol.

Before I bought these parts and spent this kind of money on a 16 year old vehicle, I wanted to ensure the engine was in decent condition, so I took it in for a pressure test and to have the internals inspected, everything looked great.

Screenshot_20180110-170433.png

I knew this build was going to focus entirely around the axles so I went for the best I possibly could at this size

20180110_165408.jpg
20180110_165419.jpg
20180110_165453.jpg
20180110_165504.jpg
20180110_165519.jpg

I knew for the LCOG aspect that I would have to have control arms that we're extremely durable, yet had a lot of articulation since I wouldn't be having all that much up and down travel, hence Metalcloak making an appearance (and their trackbars)

Screenshot_20180110-170624.png

Fox 2.0 shocks and HRsprings ( had to paint them black to match) to complete the suspension

Screenshot_20180110-170353.png
Screenshot_20180110-170402.png

Led headlights and taillights from quadratec, nothing insanely high end but I love the upgrade in visibility and looks both, will be going for rigid lights when I feel like having a mini sun lighting up the trails for me

Screenshot_20180110-170516.png

I'll have to upload pictures of the Psc steering box, pump, and f+r jcr bumpers later when it's daylight out, but this will give a sneak peek of the bumper(s) in action. This past weekend I had to pull the father in laws 3000lb fishing shack out onto the lake. Ended up tearing his crossmember in the first hour since it was only a 4x4 (and no I wasn't towing aggressively, was just a weak point in the build of the shack).

So I had to get a little creative and use a 30' and 20' tow strap that I had on hand and wrap it around the entire base of the shack, loop it to a set of chains at the front, and then the chains to the JCR dagger bumper. Towing the shack itself on the ice was an absolute breeze as I'm sure you all know/can imagine. But it was getting it from the shoreline to the ice itself that was the difficulty. Craters measuring up to 2' deep, snow that at it's lowest was 5" deep, and a ridiculous uphill section.

But 2 hours later and with the much needed help of my duratracs (31" currently) Eva got the job done.

Screenshot_20180110-170242.png

20180110_174709.png

As everyone said earlier, "pics or it didn't happen"

Well that's what I have for Now, if there's any questions or requests for other pictures feel free to leave it here and I'll do what I can, hope you all enjoy them :)

ALMOST forgot the pads and rotors, oops

Screenshot_20180110-180405.png

Last edited: