Every Single American Car Brand Is on the Bottom Half of Consumer Reports' 2018 Reliability Rankings

Equilibrium31

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
kktxyt6penhecvazwmig.png
https://jalopnik.com/every-single-american-car-brand-is-on-the-bottom-half-o-1829974713

Ouch!

Unfortunately, this isn't too surprising and I have to admit that if I were to buy a new car today, I'd definitely stay away from most American brands. This may only be comparing based on expected reliability, but as cars get more and more complex, reliability is more important than ever.

But I think this goes to show that nowadays you just can't judge quality based on "Made in China" vs "Made in America" like you used to. =/

I sometimes wonder if Consumer Reports is biased or "paid" to come to the findings that they do.

That being said, I still agree with you that if I was going to go buy any modern vehicle, it wouldn't be an American one (with the exception of maybe a Mustang GT500 just for fun!). I'm pretty stuck on Toyota, Honda, and Subaru when it comes to daily drivers, and I don't deviate from that. I've never once had a bad experience with any of the Toyotas, Hondas, or Subarus I've owned. Even if I was going to buy a truck, it would be a Toyota. The only exception would be if I needed a diesel, and then it would be a Ram with a Cummins.

Made in _______ means nothing these days for the most part. Any country is capable of building a superior product. What it comes down to is how much the workers are being paid, how passionate they are about their work, and how much money the company who is having the product made is willing to pay to have it produced.

This always comes up in my guitar circles. People assume made in USA is the best, but that's so far from the truth. I have quite a number of Chinese instruments that are far superior in sound and quality than their American counterparts.

Never have been able to buy into CR and their "reports."

Knocking down ratings because the "infotainment systems" weren't perfect is stupid.

There is no reason that every new vehicle should be anything less than 100% reliable. Just goes to show auto makers worldwide care more about profits than producing reliable and safe vehicles.

Reactions: skrelnik and L J
I pay no attention to Consumer Reports and it doesn't matter what they are testing. I have never had any issue with American cars or trucks and prefer them actually. I have read my Jeep is horribly unreliable and in the 14 or so years I have owned it the only problems I have had with it are because of me doing something stupid and it has been used as it should be. I have had several Nissan cars and love them (my hardbody Nissan truck took a POUNDING and kept going) and I also have had a few F-150s and never an issue. To me, all cars have issues if you look hard enough no matter if it is "American" or foreign. Get what you want and enjoy it.

Reactions: skrelnik
When the advertisements for these new cars comes out and there is all this talk about how many safety features the car has, and then there is an addendum that this does not negate the need for safe driving, you know we have a problem. Before you know it you'll be able to take a dump while driving down the road and it will wipe your butt for you.

Reactions: ac_
When the advertisements for these new cars comes out and there is all this talk about how many safety features the car has, and then there is an addendum that this does not negate the need for safe driving, you know we have a problem. Before you know it you'll be able to take a dump while driving down the road and it will wipe your butt for you.
I could put that system to the test!

I could put that system to the test!
If you do decide to test it, don't put so much into the Valsalva maneuver that you pass out. That could be dangerous to you and other drivers.

I'd have to get a new plate, :meparto:
bIPf_1cH4DZ-sQozIPvUUMb23srfxnvIKDwxUilIV4HRNX6M-ZF3g3wY7mGQhmXGC2J_PXh5V2WNe842Wxw=w391-h220-no.jpg

Reactions: bobthetj03
I like how they rank the entire marque, based on the results of one model. Same Magazine ranks the Chevy Colorado VERY highly in basically everything (I looked before I bought mine). They have to sell magazines in order to stay in business, so they come up with headlines...then idiots like us talk about them and drive traffic.

Reactions: JMT

Then it will be a federal mandate to have that installed, and then adds another 10K to the price!

Like most other posts, I find Consumer Reports to be garbage for me personally. They place heavy weights on meaningless stuff, like someone mentioned the infotainment system. I recall BMW getting terrible grades due to their infotainment systems. Then I bought one just to learn that it got bad grades because people are too stupid and lazy to read and learn how to use the system.

Anyways, as Chris said, I would generally lean towards a Honda, Acura or Toyota for an everyday car. Or a used German that still has a warranty. The two exceptions are I really want a Challenger Red Eye or Cherokee Trackhawk.