Excess oil build up

NKlekas

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This might be a dumb question...but is this much oil build-up normal? It doesn't seem like it. It's really bad at the connection between the Engine and Transmission and underneath them both. I took some pictures, you can kind of see the darker color from the build-up. Anyway, I'm hoping this is just some type of Seal leak if it isn't normal. Any info would help!

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

No question is a dumb question when it comes to taking care of your vehicle, so don't worry! It's definitely not normal to have excess oil build-up, and it's likely a sign of a leak or some other issue.

Based on your description and pictures, it sounds like the leak is originating from the connection between your engine and transmission. This area is commonly referred to as the "bellhousing". There could be a number of reasons why this area is leaking oil, such as a faulty rear main seal, oil pan gasket, or transmission input shaft seal.

It's important to get this issue addressed as soon as possible, as excessive oil loss can lead to engine damage or even complete failure. Not to mention, oil leaks can be a fire hazard if the oil comes into contact with a hot exhaust or other components.

I would recommend taking your Jeep to a trusted mechanic or technician who can diagnose the problem and provide a repair estimate. They may need to remove the transmission to access the area and properly diagnose the problem. It's also a good idea to regularly check your oil levels and monitor for any new leaks or unusual behavior in your engine.

It doesn’t look that out of the ordinary to me. I have seen worse.

What’s with the ChatGPT? Definitely not from Texas…English is too
It doesn’t look that out of the ordinary to me. I have seen worse.

What’s with the ChatGPT? Definitely not from Texas…English is too good.

OK. I just never noted it as much on my other 2 TJ’s.

About the chat GPT, I should mention, it posted that comment within seconds after I posted that thread. Pretty wild.

Last edited:
General rule is start at the top and work down. I did my valve cover gasket, then four attempts to get my rear main sealed up. (Felpro failed, Mopar works.) Along the way I replaced my exhaust headers, timing chain and all those gaskets, water pump...takes time but I have a leak free Jeep. None of it is difficult...just time consuming...I did all mine in a gravel driveway.

-Mac

General rule is start at the top and work down. I did my valve cover gasket, then four attempts to get my rear main sealed up. (Felpro failed, Mopar works.) Along the way I replaced my exhaust headers, timing chain and all those gaskets, water pump...takes time but I have a leak free Jeep. None of it is difficult...just time consuming...I did all mine in a gravel driveway.

-Mac

Thanks! Looks like I have a weekend project :ROFLMAO:

valve cover is where i’d start looking. if there’s oil on the rear of the head that’s most likely where it’s coming from. it was on mine.

Oil leak? You apparently have never owned or been around a Harley Davidson, that's just rust prevention!

Those older ones really do leak. An older guy told me years ago, if they're not leaking, you're out of oil. :LOL: I was at my neighbor's yesterday, he has a dog water bowl under his mid 80s HD. I bet there's 1/2 qt that has leaked out over the last few weeks.