Exhaust Coatings

Did you get it done locally? I’m looking at getting my CJ5 304 headers and side pipes all
Pulled, and send them to Jet Hot. I want their polished look, putting polished stainless or chrome all over her.

Semi-local. It's a shop on the westside of the mountains. @Woodrow got his header done there also recently. When I'd contacted Jet Hot their prices were 2-3 times higher too.

https://www.performancecoatings.com/

Check them out, they offer a chrome looking ceramic coating.

Reactions: Woodrow
I had the Y-pipe ceramic coated and installed ceramic coated headers and so far haven't had it running long enough to be able to really tell. But with a IR thermometer I'm seeing under 200* at the header pipes. IMO that's a pretty good heat signature off the tubes.

I looked at their website. Did you do the Chromex polished stainless/chrome look on your headers? Or a satin?

Any pics? Ha. Would love to see it.

I know this forum is for out TJ’s, but I want to get that chrome / polished Stainless on the header and all the way to the end of the side pipe.
C7050A7C-9290-4765-8619-6832ED40C284.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
Semi-local. It's a shop on the westside of the mountains. @Woodrow got his header done there also recently. When I'd contacted Jet Hot their prices were 2-3 times higher too.

https://www.performancecoatings.com/

Check them out, they offer a chrome looking ceramic coating.

@cpwolf I will recommend Performance Coatings. This is my header in “shiny aluminum“ which is good for 2000 degrees.
1681676092272.jpeg

They also have a more chrome-like “chromex” which they say is OK upto 1300 degrees. Their service and work was great. Fast turn around and a fair price.

I bought headers from JBA that were already ceramic coated. I had them do my Y-pipe.

This is it installed on the Jeep. I don't remember what color I picked.

20230222_165742.jpg

20221118_101828.jpg

But as Woodrow said they do offer the Cromex.

I looked at their website. Did you do the Chromex polished stainless/chrome look on your headers? Or a satin?

Any pics? Ha. Would love to see it.

I know this forum is for out TJ’s, but I want to get that chrome / polished Stainless on the header and all the way to the end of the side pipe.
View attachment 417076

Here's a picture of some of their coating.

_nc_ohc=P60Le3n55poAX8PWfZZ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

I just sprayed some VHT on mine. I’m not fancy like you guys.

Some of use are trying to cut down on the under hood temps. It's why I did mine. And it actually wasn't that expensive. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

I'm guessing with the same results. I tried that BS on an old CJ. It's all in your mind with the results on coatings. No appreciable difference. 🤫

I’m interested because of the looks. I didn’t IR measure the temps after driving my CJ5 all over. The headers were at 350. I thought they’d be higher.

The 2 places I looked at said they’d bring them down 50%.

The actual pipe on the end was 114 which I thoght could t be right, it’s burned my leg.

Guys quoted that their Harley pipe no longer burned them, so that is my goal, my wife’s leg touches that and she’ll never ride in it again.

4D1CC83E-7BD9-416B-9119-241C365D1912.jpeg

5B572D84-990A-4E1D-89AA-68E7E8C1CA4F.jpeg

I'm guessing with the same results. I tried that BS on an old CJ. It's all in your mind with the results on coatings. No appreciable difference. 🤫

I’m just trying to keep it from rusting. Have no idea if it works.

Reactions: sab
I’m interested because of the looks. I didn’t IR measure the temps after driving my CJ5 all over. The headers were at 350. I thought they’d be higher.

The 2 places I looked at said they’d bring them down 50%.

The actual pipe on the end was 114 which I thoght could t be right, it’s burned my leg.

Guys quoted that their Harley pipe no longer burned them, so that is my goal, my wife’s leg touches that and she’ll never ride in it again.

View attachment 418010

View attachment 418011

In the two photos above, your targets have drastically different emissivity values. IR guns are only as accurate as the assumed emissivity. Shiny objects have low emissivity and dark/non-reflective targets have high emissivity. Most default settings for emissivity are high (0.9 to 1.0), but with chrome, that setting won't work very well. You can adjust the emissivity to get a more accurate reading on that shiny tail pipe, or just put a piece of gaffers tape (flat black, not glossy black) on it, and shoot your temp on that.

In the two photos above, your targets have drastically different emissivity values. IR guns are only as accurate as the assumed emissivity. Shiny objects have low emissivity and dark/non-reflective targets have high emissivity. Most default settings for emissivity are high (0.9 to 1.0), but with chrome, that setting won't work very well. You can adjust the emissivity to get a more accurate reading on that shiny tail pipe, or just put a piece of gaffers tape (flat black, not glossy black) on it, and shoot your temp on that.

There you go, I've learned something for sure. Much appreciated. I did see a different on that pipe when I hit that inner wall than the outer wall.

Reactions: sab
I did see a different on that pipe when I hit that inner wall than the outer wall.

I didn't even notice the mitered end. You can probably get a very accurate temp if you shoot down into the pipe from the end and get the dark inner wall, but down inside. Now I learned something, too!

I ceramic coated a few Harley exhaust and turbo headers, down pipes and turbo housings. On the exhaust parts I had them do inside and outside of the parts. It cut down on temps of the pipes a lot. I noticed it the most on the Harley of course being so close to the legs. I did the turbo parts just to improve performance. I was very happy with it all.

How much did it knock the temps down?

Don't know yet. Once the Jeep is driving I'll be able to give a better estimate on how well it helps. I could melt a cup of ice sitting in my cup holder from the heat coming thru the floorboards. What I've seen for reduced temps so far with the engine running at the headers seems to be pretty good.

I’m not knocking anything. Just saying what I did last week.

I tried the VHT paints but I must not have cured the paint correctly because it flacked off on me. The other thing is that you can't really coat the inside with the VHT paint where as the ceramic coating is both inside and outside.

So you feel a uncoated or painted header compared to a ceramic coated header is the same?

Reactions: JMT
I am in the prosses of building a 4.6 stroker. I have a Banks torque tube header and was wondering if I have it ceramic coated will the coating survive the temps of the cam break in.