Exhaust flange gasket replacement tips

NateB

So i need to fix the leak between the exhaust manifold and where it connects to the pipe. I have the flange gasket but the two bolts hold the two together are rusted as all get out, and I cant find a good way to get a socket on them AND get leverage to break them free. Is cutting through the bolts a solution, or does anyone else have any ideas? Not sure if the nuts are welded to the bracket or not. Would hate to cause more work for myself.

My best advice for working in that area is to take both the driver's side outer and inner fender off entirely. This creates so much room to work in there that it goes from being a difficult job to a much easier one. Working with the fenders on requires a true contortionist. I tried it once and it was an absolute nightmare. I removed the fenders on the driver's side, and then it was so much easier.

Don't be afraid to cut through the 2 bolts especially if it saves you time. You are not going to use the old bolts anyway.
If you can get your hands on a sawzall it could go quickly if you have some room to work.
:)

Reactions: PhantomX
Don't be afraid to cut through the 2 bolts especially if it saves you time. You are not going to use the old bolts anyway.
If you can get your hands on a sawzall it could go quickly if you have some room to work.
:)

Perfect, this was what I was hoping to hear. I'm fine with spending a couple of bucks on new bolts if it saves me a few hours of work!

Reactions: KCsTJ
  • Perfect, this was what I was hoping to hear. I'm fine with spending a couple of bucks on new bolts if it saves me a few hours of work!
Absolutely, and don't expect to find a "gasket" between the manifold and pipe.
There's no gasket to mess with. The two bolt together and seal metal to metal .
That why u need new bolts to get a good snug fit.
Just clean the mating surfaces and torque down. :)

Absolutely, and don't expect to find a "gasket" between the manifold and pipe.
There's no gasket to mess with. The two bolt together and seal metal to metal .
That why u need new bolts to get a good snug fit.
Just clean the mating surfaces and torque down. :)

Currently in the process of replacing this seal. I was at Car Quest talking to the gentleman at the front desk, and we found out that the newer models (2000-2006) didn't have a seal, and just went together - metal on metal. The pre-2000's had a flange gasket that went between the manifold and pipe. If anyone knows for sure correct me if I'm wrong.

In the process of replacing this I noticed that the gasket however didn't completely fit into the pipe, or manifold. When I placed in between the two, the bolts weren't quite long enough. Is it because it's being placed in the wrong way? (Large diameter up).

Currently in the process of replacing this seal. I was at Car Quest talking to the gentleman at the front desk, and we found out that the newer models (2000-2006) didn't have a seal, and just went together - metal on metal. The pre-2000's had a flange gasket that went between the manifold and pipe. If anyone knows for sure correct me if I'm wrong.

In the process of replacing this I noticed that the gasket however didn't completely fit into the pipe, or manifold. When I placed in between the two, the bolts weren't quite long enough. Is it because it's being placed in the wrong way? (Large diameter up).
I wish I knew for sure.

When I replaced the exhaust manifold on my 97 it had no gasket. I bolted the new manifold to the pipe with no gasket, metal to metal, and it has given me no problems.

So I put the donut in, and everything was fine and after a day or so instarted to get this weird raffle. Did I just install this incorrectly? Any ideas?

Before lining up, and tightening the bolts

And a video of the sound

*turn volume down a little - it's loud*

IMG_0956.JPG

Perfect, this was what I was hoping to hear. I'm fine with spending a couple of bucks on new bolts if it saves me a few hours of work!

Have the same issue, where you pick up the new bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I put the donut in, and everything was fine and after a day or so instarted to get this weird raffle. Did I just install this incorrectly? Any ideas?

Before lining up, and tightening the bolts

And a video of the sound

turn volume down a little - it's loud

View attachment 53185
Take a pic without the gasket. You may not need it.