Exhaust manifold to downpipe bolts

derekmac

TJ Addict
I tried to tighten up the 4 bolts attaching the downpipe to the manifold as they are a bit loose, but they're pretty rusted, so instead of fighting with them, I'm just going to replace them.

What size/length should I get for them?

So, I've been putting this off, but I want to tackle it Friday. I'd like to get new bolts before I cut the old ones out, but still can't find the size I need.

I haven't a clue what size bolts they are. However, this is one of those times I go to ACE Hardware, buy a ton of nuts and bolts, then return the ones I don't need after I find what fits.

Hopefully someone can be more of a help than me. Sounds like @Shwane might be right on the money.

Reactions: StG58
I buy more Jeep parts at Ace hardware than I do at the dealership. Ace actually carries manifold bolts in their nut and bolt section. Course thread on one end and fine thread on the other. You may have to ask where they are, but they usually have them in a variety of sizes and lengths. Cheap as well. Pick up new nuts while you're at it.

Pro tip: Run a tap through the manifold to chase the threads while you have it apart. For some reason, those threads get really nasty after awhile.

Reactions: Serbonze and JP98
I buy more Jeep parts at Ace hardware than I do at the dealership. Ace actually carries manifold bolts in their nut and bolt section. Course thread on one end and fine thread on the other. You may have to ask where they are, but they usually have them in a variety of sizes and lengths. Cheap as well. Pick up new nuts while you're at it.

Pro tip: Run a tap through the manifold to chase the threads while you have it apart. For some reason, those threads get really nasty after awhile.
Ace also carries the 13mm deep socket, sold as a single item which is needed for jeep head bolts.

I think I found the Mopar bolt and nut if anyone needs them still.

NUT. Exhaust Manifold. Exhaust Pipe To Manifold, Front, Rear.​

Part Number: 06506546AA

Link

SCREW. Hex Head.​

Part Number: 06505754AA

Link

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal and LJBean
Retighten once exhaust is still toasty helps- and a swivel head socket.

Reactions: Ocho
I checked and I think you maybe right. Locktite is good to 650 degrees. Maybe a lock washer is the best way to keep the bolts from loosening. Unless some has a better idea, I’ll try that.

Lock washer gets it started. Rust usually takes over from there. If you're fighting it just tack weld the bolt. I've hardly ever gotten an exhaust bolt out without cutting it off.

-Mac