Exhaust routing for future tummy tuck

minimull

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The PO of our LJ removed the third cat (yay) and stock muffler to install an obnoxiously loud glass pack (boo). The exhaust needs work anyway as it’s already been bashed in by the front driveline. I’m going to see if they can add a flange in the y-pipe (to make removal for rear main seal replacement easier), tuck the y-pipe up higher to avoid the driveline, and add in a more reasonable aftermarket muffler. My question is about exhaust and TTs, since I’d like a TT down the road. I know exhaust mods are usually needed for a TT, how is it routed or tucked up differently than stock exhaust routing? Anyone have pics?
26A22476-7F2A-446D-93C5-EF538D2A55D4.jpeg

Unfortunately I don’t think you are going to be able to route the exhaust now in such a way that it won’t need more modification once you add a tummy tuck.

There are so many variables involved and even if you manage to get the work done, you’re going to have to modify it again as soon as you do the tuck, I would almost guarantee it.

My best advice would be to do the tuck now and the exhaust at the same time, or be prepared to have to tackle the exhaust a second time when you get the tuck done. 👍

Unfortunately you aren’t going to be able to route the exhaust now in such a way that it won’t need more modification once you add a tummy tuck. There’s simply no way around that, period.

There are so many variables involved and even if you manage to get the work done, you’re going to have to modify it again as soon as you do the tuck. This much I can guarantee you.

I mean maybe you could get lucky, but I don’t think so. I would pretty much bet on it.

I wish I could be of more help, but all you’d be doing now is wasting your time. My best advice would be to do the tuck now and the exhaust at the same time, or be prepared to have to tackle the exhaust a second time when you get the tuck done. 👍
Ok 👍🏼 thanks for the straight up answer. The tuck isn’t in the budget for now, so I’ll just take care of the current exhaust problems and plan on doing it again with the tuck in the future.

Ok 👍🏼 thanks for the straight up answer. The tuck isn’t in the budget for now, so I’ll just take care of the current exhaust problems and plan on doing it again with the tuck in the future.

That’s what I would do. You can also at least prepare for it somewhat by measuring where the exhaust will land after the new skid plate is on and adjusting the mounts accordingly. However, unless you get lucky I think you will still need to modify it after the tuck.

Reactions: minimull