Exogate or Bestop Tire Carrier?

IPerkWVU

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I know the Moryde / Exogate gets lots of love here but with the recent price bump ($390) I've been kicking the tires on other options.

One that doesn't get much mention is the Bestop carrier (on sale, it's around $300), one thing I like about it is the optional rack that is available. Storage wise, this could be nice to have since my rear bumper doesn't have a hitch attachment for an accessory like this. The rack mounts are tied into the tailgate and connected to the oversize tire carrier to support the load, it's rated for up to 75lbs.

Or-Fab is nice but looking for something with a lower profile.

Anyone had a good or bad experience with the Bestop?

I know the Moryde / Exogate gets lots of love here but with the recent price bump ($390) I've been kicking the tires on other options.

One that doesn't get much mention is the Bestop carrier (on sale, it's around $300), one thing I like about it is the optional rack that is available. Storage wise, this could be nice to have since my rear bumper doesn't have a hitch attachment for an accessory like this. The rack mounts are tied into the tailgate and connected to the oversize tire carrier to support the load, it's rated for up to 75lbs.

I have had the bestop highrock on my jeep for about 5 years now. It requires a once over about once a year. Its rattle free and works well. I like that it opens with the tailgate. It is a little finicky to get adjusted properly.

Reactions: IPerkWVU

I have the exogate and like the look for sure. Easy install and no worries of a tire carrier ever sagging on the rear bumper.

To make the Exogate price a little more palatable, you can call Extreme Terrain and say you are a forum member and looking for the forum discount which is 6% off.

I've just installed the bestop on my rig. Haven't got the rig back on the road yet, but I really do like the way the bestop fits and works with the tailgate.

To make the Exogate price a little more palatable, you can call Extreme Terrain and say you are a forum member and looking for the forum discount which is 6% off.

Yeah, just bummed I didn't pull the trigger on it when it was around $320. Really not the end of the world though...

And the number of people that have to deal with the stripped torx tailgate hinge bolts.

Can you overcome this? Yes.

It's not a problem with the Bestop though.

Yeah, this would definitely happen to mine, I'd be drilling several out... +1 for Bestop

I've just installed the bestop on my rig. Haven't got the rig back on the road yet, but I really do like the way the bestop fits and works with the tailgate.
Glad to see people still buying it. Install looks like it takes a few hours but nothing too crazy. Did you use all the original hardware provided, I had read where the nutserts (or something similar) didn't work well

My install tip-
Before you drill the upper holes on the tub, the ones that use the brace provided (which also mounts to the roll bar mount), don't go off of their measurements on the instructions. Mount the brace, temporarily, mark your holes, measure and then drill.

I really like mine and have not had the need to re-align anything later.

Last edited:
Running a Bestop for many years with a 35" tire on it. No problems. I also read tips on the forums that I followed: Replace all the painted hardware possible with grade 8 nuts and bolts. Don't follow Bestop instructions for drilling holes. Install tailgate hardware first, then roll bar bracket, then mock up, test fit, then drill. An extra set of hands really helps. So does heat on the factory lock tight on roll bar.

Reactions: BoundlessBasu
Does the Bestop carrier tie into the rear sport bar like the Exogate does? If not, I wouldn't consider it personally.

To be fair, I have never used, or even seen an exogate. They didn't exist when I bought the Bestop.

Okay, good to know that! I've been told that adds a considerable amount of strength.

What makes it even stronger, is mounting it to a tub with corner armor. I have heard stories of those, that are very rough on their Jeeps, pulling the lower mount plate backing through the tub sheet metal. My guess is a hard hit on the spare while dropping of a steep ledge. I think a hit like that would eff up most tire carriers to some extent! I've never seen it, and haven't had a problem mounted to my bare tub.

What makes it even stronger, is mounting it to a tub with corner armor. I have heard stories of those, that are very rough on their Jeeps, pulling the lower mount plate backing through the tub sheet metal. My guess is a hard hit on the spare while dropping of a steep ledge. I think a hit like that would eff up most tire carriers to some extent! I've never seen it, and haven't had a problem mounted to my bare tub.

Yes, the Exogate mentions in the instructions that it works with corner armor for this very reason.

Just make sure you put some silicone beads around the edges of the corner armor, or it WILL rust under it. Not an "if", it 100% will rust.

Glad to see people still buying it. Install looks like it takes a few hours but nothing too crazy. Did you use all the original hardware provided, I had read where the nutserts (or something similar) didn't work well

Of course I can't comment on the long term quality of the jack nuts (that's what Bestop calls them) , but their installation seems solid enough. It's only two of them for my 2004 TJ.

I agree with the comments on the measurements provided by the instructions - I looked at what it would take to get those measurements and decided to use a plum bob from the upper hinge to help me locate the position of the lower hinge (body corner side). Again, can't speak for the long term robustness, but putting the lower hinge where they said would have pushed it out of alignment based on what I saw.

Ended up buying the Bestop carrier, install went smooth, just took a few hours to measure 3x drill 1x...

1st impressions are great, very stout. Has brackets to tie into the sport bar AND the lower tub where the trunk meets the body (L shape bracket) . Tire fits snug up against the carrier and the hinge operation is smooth. Once I get the mail in rebate I'll be out of pocket $250.

IMG_20190406_152641.jpg
IMG_20190406_152653.jpg
IMG_20190406_152715.jpg
IMG_20190406_141353.jpg
MVIMG_20190406_140841.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how well the tire mount is going to work when I have to pull the tire off. Before I put the tire back on do I back out that big bolt from the back (technically front)? do I leave it set and just put the tire up on there and pull it tight with the lug nuts? I've had the tire off and on one time - however, it was initially the 31" tire that I put on and took off first. Knowing the next tire to be mounted was to be a 33x12.50 I did loosen that big bolt before mounting the new tire. We'll see how it goes I suppose when I do my next rotation or if I have to remove the spare for any reason.

I've been thinking what I can do to fix it in place so it doesn't slide towards the tailgate when I go to mount the tire.

I'm trying to figure out how well the tire mount is going to work when I have to pull the tire off. Before I put the tire back on do I back out that big bolt from the back (technically front)? do I leave it set and just put the tire up on there and pull it tight with the lug nuts? I've had the tire off and on one time - however, it was initially the 31" tire that I put on and took off first. Knowing the next tire to be mounted was to be a 33x12.50 I did loosen that big bolt before mounting the new tire. We'll see how it goes I suppose when I do my next rotation or if I have to remove the spare for any reason.

I've been thinking what I can do to fix it in place so it doesn't slide towards the tailgate when I go to mount the tire.
I mounted my 33 to the bracket with the lug nuts on the ground then set it in place on the carrier. Before I did that I had the big long bolt loosly in place that way I could tighten it up once the tire was on.

I think that's the way you should probably try first.