Exogate or Bestop Tire Carrier?

I just swapped wheels on my TJ. They were different enough that I had to readjust the slide mount thingy. Once that is set/tightened to where the tire sits firmly against the carrier, leave it. I never had to adjust that slide mount for years with the previous wheel. I have tightened up on the other carrier adjustment just a couple times to pull it tight against the rubber snubbers.
With the tailgate/carrier closed, I use a small piece of 2x2 wood wedged against the tailgate and the slider adjustment bolt to keep it in place while lifting the tire/wheel back on the carrier. Cut a small notch on one end for the bolt to sit in. Those that own the Bestop will know what I'm talking about. I have to make a new one because the one I have is a little short now that I changed that adjustment. I just carry it in the Jeep. Still liking my Bestop carrier after many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindsey97
I just swapped wheels on my TJ. They were different enough that I had to readjust the slide mount thingy. Once that is set/tightened to where the tire sits firmly against the carrier, leave it. I never had to adjust that slide mount for years with the previous wheel. I have tightened up on the other carrier adjustment just a couple times to pull it tight against the rubber snubbers.
With the tailgate/carrier closed, I use a small piece of 2x4 wood wedged against the tailgate and the slider adjustment bolt to keep it in place while lifting the tire/wheel back on the carrier. Cut a small notch on one end for the bolt to sit in. Those that own the Bestop will know what I'm talking about. I have to make a new one because the one I have is a little short now that I changed that adjustment. I just carry it in the Jeep. Still liking my Bestop carrier after many years.
Yea it was a bit of a struggle getting the tire on and the bolt tightened by my self, took three attempts. Damn a 285/75r16 e-rated tire is heavy.

Yea it was a bit of a struggle getting the tire on and the bolt tightened by my self, took three attempts. Damn a 285/75r16 e-rated tire is heavy.

Yes it is! Having that slider move back on me before I could get a lug nut started on a 35" tire really pissed me off!

An extra set of hands getting it on and all adjusted is a big help. Once it's all set, the wood block works getting the tire on, if you are by yourself.

This is what I use when lifting the tire back on to keep the slider out, so I can start the lug nuts.
2x2, not 2x4. Just made a new one!

20190406_154924_zps7fvwzwix.jpg

20190406_154902_zpsjgastof7.jpg

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I am leaning heavily towards the Bestop tire carrier. Can anyone make an argument against it?

One reason I like the Bestop is that I want to add a mount to carry one 5 gallon jerry can for water. From what I can see, the Bestop is better able to accommodate this than the Exogate is. The can would sit on the top bar near the hinges.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I am leaning heavily towards the Bestop tire carrier. Can anyone make an argument against it?

One reason I like the Bestop is that I want to add a mount to carry one 5 gallon jerry can for water. From what I can see, the Bestop is better able to accommodate this than the Exogate is. The can would sit on the top bar near the hinges.
The only negative I have is they are finicky to get adjusted correctly to not let the tire move around much. That and you will have to slam the gate once you get it done. That said, I don't understand removing the weight of a too heavy carrier and crap and then adding it back with 50 pounds of water. Mount that water rack to the passenger side air bag and get it off the back of the rig.

I have come down pretty hard a few times on my spare tire, mounted to the best top carrier with no issues. I was even rear ended in stop and go traffic by a lady in a Porsche suv(when I was on 31's with 2" lift) she hit the spare tire wrinkled her hood up about 6". This caused a very slight bend in the bottom of my tailgate, but no other damage. I was able to make a few slight adjustments to the tire carrier and it still functions as well as before.

You also have the option of purchasing this rack assembly for your storage needs if you go with the besttop. Do not know tire size restrictions.

https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2004/wrangler/tailgate-rack-bracket/

The only concern I have is the mount is flimsy and will eventually crack. I had one do it with 33s. I've got a buddy fabbing one up for me with 1/4" steel. We'll see how that one holds up if he ever gets it done. I think rugged ridge makes a 1/4" one too but it puts the tire out another 2" which I'm not wanting to do

I bought my moryde at buyanyrvpart.com which still has them at $289.97 and I think shipping was $10-15. Website seems a little shady but I had it in 3 days. I then had them painted to match the body color

I installed a Bestop oversize tire carrier a few weeks ago. Installation took about 3.5 hours, but I was going slow to be careful. I didn't have a problem with the captured nut thingys, I just used a cordless impact-style driver.

I agree that putting the wheel bracket on the wheel prior to hoisting it up on the carrier is the easiest way, but it's still a pain. Once I tightened that center bolt, there is no squeaks or rattles.

Buying American parts have become more and more important to me. It's like voting, it may not seem to matter, but it's my duty to do it anyway. If I cannot by US, I will buy from a democratic country when ever possible. Unfortunately, the Bestop carrier is not made in the US. It's make in Taiwan which beats the heck out of China. (Considering how China is acting with Hong Kong, neither Taiwan nor Hong Kong may be free for very long.)