Exogate or Bestop Tire Carrier?

I bought this TJ with the Bestop 4X4 tire carrier already installed. I've had no problems with it. The Exogate is nice as well. I shit canned the factory hinges because I sprung them by not thoroughly latching the rear gate and then driving. I ordered the MoRyde hinges but the top would not fit due to the upper brace of the Bestop tire carrier interference. Ended up with a set of Kentrol hinges and have had no problems.

DSCN1551.JPG

DSCN1539.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
I bought my moryde at buyanyrvpart.com which still has them at $289.97 and I think shipping was $10-15. Website seems a little shady but I had it in 3 days. I then had them painted to match the body color

It better not be shady. I just ordered an Exogate. :)

Same here. I’m tired of my swing out carrier. It’s at the point where it needs new bearings and it’s just heavier than I want.

I keep thinking about modifying or making a cj7 style mount so I can have a drop down tail gate though too.

Something like this.

Reactions: TJ Starting
It better not be shady. I just ordered an Exogate. :)

I wouldn't worry about your order I had mine in 3 days and had no issues. I think they are a small company that drop ships from an RV network. They are in NC but my order shipped from a wearhouse here in Dallas.

Reactions: jjvw
Yea it was a bit of a struggle getting the tire on and the bolt tightened by my self, took three attempts. Damn a 285/75r16 e-rated tire is heavy.

What I've had to do is remove the long bolt completely, mount the wheel part on the wheel, and then lift the whole thing up as a unit and push the wheel part thingy into the tire carrier. I then install the long bolt.

I'm not happy with it though, one has to swing the tail gate out wide in order for the carrier to be far enough away from the tail gate to get the long bolt out. I'm concerned that if I need to change a tire when off road, the jeep will be in a funky angle which may cause all sorts of problems. Also, trying to hold the tire onto the carrier while the tail gate is swung wide enough to feed the long bolt in maybe a problem in the dark, or in the driving rain.

I've got an idea where I use a pool float noodle pushed inside to space out the tire holder thingy, but keeping it from rotating will be a challenge. I'd rather come up with a hack now, before a flat on the side of the road or on the trail makes me say dirty words.

What I've had to do is remove the long bolt completely, mount the wheel part on the wheel, and then lift the whole thing up as a unit and push the wheel part thingy into the tire carrier. I then install the long bolt.

I'm not happy with it though, one has to swing the tail gate out wide in order for the carrier to be far enough away from the tail gate to get the long bolt out. I'm concerned that if I need to change a tire when off road, the jeep will be in a funky angle which may cause all sorts of problems. Also, trying to hold the tire onto the carrier while the tail gate is swung wide enough to feed the long bolt in maybe a problem in the dark, or in the driving rain.

I've got an idea where I use a pool float noodle pushed inside to space out the tire holder thingy, but keeping it from rotating will be a challenge. I'd rather come up with a hack now, before a flat on the side of the road or on the trail makes me say dirty words.
Yeah, somewhere on this thread a member made a custom wood block to address this issues, can't find it at the moment

Yeah, somewhere on this thread a member made a custom wood block to address this issues, can't find it at the moment
The wood block seems to only push the long bolt all the way in. I don't know if it will keep the entire assembly from rotating when a heavy ass wheel and tire is hoisted up and placed on the wheel holder thingy. I'm thinking probably not.

I wouldn't worry about your order I had mine in 3 days and had no issues. I think they are a small company that drop ships from an RV network. They are in NC but my order shipped from a wearhouse here in Dallas.

I have a tracking number! Exogate pics tomorrow, I hope. Shipping weight is 46lbs.

Anyone know how much the BesTop weighs?

I did! The tire is so snug and tight to the body that you can barely see it. This is the way to go.
20190703_151259.jpg

20190703_162317.jpg

20190703_180845.jpg

20190703_183429.jpg

20190703_162959.jpg

Reactions: jazngab