Expert opinions on this Craigslist Dana 44

Having had two gear installations go bad, I'd sell the gears on Facebook, Craigslist, eBay, etc. & have the installing shop provide them so there's no chance of any kind of a warranty issue where fingers would be pointed back & forth.

Of course the shop will warranty their labor. But here's the issue. What happens when that potential problem happens? The installing shop will of course confirm they did the installation correctly so they'll blame the parts you provided. Allen will (more than likely rightfully) blame the installer for screwing the setup/installation up. If it's the fault of bad gears (unlikely) and Allen sends you new gears, the shop isn't going to reinstall them for free since they will claim they did their job properly.

The bottom line is you're opening yourself up to being caught in the middle. If the shop provides both the parts and the labor you would have zero issues getting them to take care of any possible issue with zero problem.

Reactions: RangerRick
Having had two gear installations go bad, I'd sell the gears on Facebook, Craigslist, eBay, etc. & have the installing shop provide them so there's no chance of any kind of a warranty issue where fingers would be pointed back & forth.

Of course the shop will warranty their labor. But here's the issue. What happens when that potential problem happens? The installing shop will of course confirm they did the installation correctly so they'll blame the parts you provided. Allen will (more than likely rightfully) blame the installer for screwing the setup/installation up. If it's the fault of bad gears (unlikely) and Allen sends you new gears, the shop isn't going to reinstall them for free since they will claim they did their job properly.

The bottom line is you're opening yourself up to being caught in the middle. If the shop provides both the parts and the labor you would have zero issues getting them to take care of any possible issue with zero problem.
Oh, life is complicated. I appreciate your advice as always.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
All great advice here. So would the shop use the Dana 44 carrier and gears and tracloc that came with the axle or would they order a new master install kit and gear set?

That depends on if you want an all inclusive warranty on the job done.

If YES, then new parts.

If NO, then existing parts with no parts warranty whatsoever. Labor only and that's hard to prove.....

Is the job worth doing once and doing right?

If YES, just get it over with, re-use that axle housing and shafts, everything else gear, install and bearing related will be new and then you'll be covered. (Preferrably in writing from the shop doing the job).

If NO, then you can chance it the used parts will work out and save some cabbage there but no leg to stand on if things go wrong in the warranty period cause no warranty on used parts like that.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That depends on if you want an all inclusive warranty on the job done.

If YES, then new parts.

If NO, then existing parts with no parts warranty whatsoever. Labor only and that's hard to prove.....

Is the job worth doing once and doing right?

If YES, just get it over with, re-use that axle housing and shafts, everything else gear, install and bearing related will be new and then you'll be covered. (Preferrably in writing from the shop doing the job).

If NO, then you can chance it the used parts will work out and save some cabbage there but no leg to stand on if things go wrong in the warranty period cause no warranty on used parts like that.

Interesting. Sounds like I’d go the new matching gear sets for front and rear and have everything backed by shop warranty. But I find it a little annoying that I just bought a whole set up for $500 and only going to use the axle housing and shafts. I guess I can try and sell the carrier, 4.88 ring and pinion, and trac loc but I don’t know how easy that will be.

You will have to research @jazngab you can get some of your money back on the initial purchase of the axle selling the new or used parts you won't be needing. Ask the place you bought your new parts if they will take them back and if there is a restock fee what it is. Also used 4.88's are worth money on the used parts sites because lots of people don't have the funds for expensive new when on a DIY tight budget. They may buy your used carrier that will take a 4.88 break when their old carrier may break at 3.55 or some lower numaric number and they can't use their old carrier anymore but yours can work. Research is the key though no matter what.

Reactions: JMT and jazngab
Interesting. Sounds like I’d go the new matching gear sets for front and rear and have everything backed by shop warranty. But I find it a little annoying that I just bought a whole set up for $500 and only going to use the axle housing and shafts. I guess I can try and sell the carrier, 4.88 ring and pinion, and trac loc but I don’t know how easy that will be.
Just think, I spent $800 for the Dana 44 housing and shafts, gears are going out. I'll sell the carrier individually to recover some. It's expensive, so either go all in or don't go.

Reactions: jazngab
Just think, I spent $800 for the Dana 44 housing and shafts, gears are going out. I'll sell the carrier individually to recover some. It's expensive, so either go all in or don't go.
I needed to regear anyways so after selling those extra Dana 44 parts, for a couple hundred bucks I’ll have a Dana 44 rear axle which will prob come out cheaper for me than doing the super 35 so it’s still a good situation.