Exploring my upgrade options/build path


lulzpwndyah

TJ Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 3, 2020
Messages
200
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

I have a 2005 Wrangler SE with a 4.0 reman from Jasper... it has less than 500 miles on it haven't even done first oil change... I bought this vehicle at an auction so I don't know much of it's history. I had a shock blow and spray oil all over the back side of the Jeep so i'm exploring my options on how to move forward. I'm looking to use this car 90% on road commuting 20 miles a day and the other 10% as a weekend off road vehicle for overland and camping cross country.

The car has a lift i'm not sure how much or what is all done to it but i'm guessing it won't be the best. I'm exploring options of maybe going with the OME Super Ultimate lift with the Currie JJ Control arms as you all know this is a 2.5' lift with 1.25 body lift

If I go this option I might have enough to upgrade to a Dana 44 from ECGS with an ARB locker.

My 2nd option is go with the Currie 4' lift and use Rancho or Fox Shocks. This is a bit more expensive and I don't know that i'd be able to upgrade to a Dana 44 but I might still have enough in the budget to upgrade the Dana 35 to a Super Dana 35 with ARB locker from revolution gears.

My final option is upgrading the rear to a Dana 44 with ARB locker and upgrade the front to a HP Dana 30 with this option I'd keep the current setup I have and just get new Rancho shocks.

I'm not looking to rock climb or anything too off the beaten path but I would like to be able to tackle anything that will come my way and make sure I lower the chances of me being left stranded due to a component failing.
 

CharlesHS

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2020
Messages
2,323
Location
Jacksonville, FL, Quezon Philippines
First the vehicle you purchased is not a car.... it's a Jeep..... 8)
You need to decide exactly what kind of off roading you are going to do... and then talk to Jeep owners to find out what works and what doesn't.
I would suggest you take the Jeep off roading several times before trying to modify and pump money into to the Jeep.
A good set of tires (ATs or MTs) and rocker panel protection along with disconnecting the front sway bar links will get you a long way on the trail. You might be surprised how capable the Jeep is in stock form.
 

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2019
Messages
1,183
Location
Oxford, PA
Hello,

I have a 2005 Wrangler SE with a 4.0 reman from Jasper... it has less than 500 miles on it haven't even done first oil change... I bought this vehicle at an auction so I don't know much of it's history. I had a shock blow and spray oil all over the back side of the Jeep so i'm exploring my options on how to move forward. I'm looking to use this car 90% on road commuting 20 miles a day and the other 10% as a weekend off road vehicle for overland and camping cross country.

The car has a lift i'm not sure how much or what is all done to it but i'm guessing it won't be the best. I'm exploring options of maybe going with the OME Super Ultimate lift with the Currie JJ Control arms as you all know this is a 2.5' lift with 1.25 body lift

If I go this option I might have enough to upgrade to a Dana 44 from ECGS with an ARB locker.

My 2nd option is go with the Currie 4' lift and use Rancho or Fox Shocks. This is a bit more expensive and I don't know that i'd be able to upgrade to a Dana 44 but I might still have enough in the budget to upgrade the Dana 35 to a Super Dana 35 with ARB locker from revolution gears.

My final option is upgrading the rear to a Dana 44 with ARB locker and upgrade the front to a HP Dana 30 with this option I'd keep the current setup I have and just get new Rancho shocks.

I'm not looking to rock climb or anything too off the beaten path but I would like to be able to tackle anything that will come my way and make sure I lower the chances of me being left stranded due to a component failing.

I bought a 2004 TJ that already had a 4" lift with 33" tires in March 2019. After driving it for a year with some mild off roading I would have done things differently based on my use and driving than what the previous owner installed. My advice would be to not rush into any modification until you have driven the vehicle and can honestly assess it's use.
 

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
5,028
Location
Upstate NY
First just change out all fluids front to back. Then fix any immediate problems. Then just drive. Enjoy it. Its summer and you have a Jeep! Life is good.
In 6 months, a year is better, decide what you want from the Jeep. Decide on tire size. That determines everything else. Bigger tires can cause bigger problems. A daily driver doesn't need 35s, but you build it the way YOU want. We are very quick to spend other people's cash around here.
But for now just enjoy summer in a Jeep.