Extended Front Brake Lines

Once you start getting above 3" of suspension lift on your TJ, I highly suggest replacing the brake lines with longer, extended brake lines. One option you have is shelling out some money for aftermarket extended "stainless steel" brake lines. However, another option is the readily available Dorman EPDM rubber direct replacement, extended length front and rear center brake hoses (4" longer than stock). No special washers or other parts required.

The part numbers for these extended length front brake hoses were posted by Blaine in another thread.

Front Left:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IY2CHHK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Front Right:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IY2CBTY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Rear Center:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IY2C63K/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Once you're all done, you'll need to bleed your brakes. You'll need a container of DOT3 brake fluid for this. To make bleeding the brakes much easier, I highly recommend one of these vacuum brake bleeding tools. I have one of those tools myself, and it's paid for itself multiple times over. It makes bleeding your brakes so much easier.
Do the ones listed in the OP come with the crush washer?

Anyone that has swapped for the YJ lines, have you ever had one bend? I took mine out wheeling today (first trial run) and found that one of my lines was bent inward at the metal tubing. Had to ease it back a bit so it was hitting my spring. Going to Moab next week and really don't want to go brakeless during a run...
I'm super late tot this post but I did do the YJ lines a ling time ago. They have held up fine with not issues. I do not like the length of the hard line but it functions fine. I did do some "massaging" on install and never had a problem. If you are going to bend them out of the way, just do it slowly and and also realize that you can't bend them to crazy angles. Mine to rub the shock on turns but nothing bad enough to be an issue. I'm using 3"-4" shocks and my lift is around 3"

is there a difference between the front left and right brake lines? mine just came in the mail and they look identical
🧐 Yes. There was for the YJ lines. I suppose the same would be true for the Dorman.

is there a difference between the front left and right brake lines? mine just came in the mail and they look identical
I have the YJ lines, and if I remember correctly the hard line portion bend inwards and back, so you can't just "flip" them. Sounds like you got two of one side.

Reactions: Ron505
So I installed these about 2-3 weeks ago but I did something wrong I guess and the passenger side was rubbing. It rubbed all the way through and blew out. Thankfully I was able to stop safely and get a non-extended one on from the auto parts store nearby.

The driver side is fine so I am not sure what I did wrong. Any thoughts?

So I installed these about 2-3 weeks ago but I did something wrong I guess and the passenger side was rubbing. It rubbed all the way through and blew out. Thankfully I was able to stop safely and get a non-extended one on from the auto parts store nearby.

Pics? Or I suppose its no longer installed since you said you replaced it.

Did you get the YJ lines or the Dorman?

The YJ lines rub because where they mount at the crush washer they only have one flat side, so you are forced to put them in the only position they will fit. Problem is they will rub the shock body. Unless you did what I did, and grind down another side so that it's flat and you can mount it in a way it won't rub.

The Dorman have a squared end at the crush washer, so you have three options for mounting position and you just pick the orientation that won't rub.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Did you get the YJ lines or the Dorman?

The YJ lines rub because where they mount at the crush washer they only have one flat side, so you are forced to put them in the only position they will fit. Problem is they will rub the shock body. Unless you did what I did, and grind down another side so that it's flat and you can mount it in a way it won't rub.

The Dorman have a squared end at the crush washer, so you have three options for mounting position and you just pick the orientation that won't rub.
I had the Dorman one I will make sure to change the orientation on the hose. Thanks.

Reactions: TJ Starting
You can get the two front Dorman lines from Rock Auto for 12 something and this rear SUNSONG 2205999 for 17.08 and save a lot of money for the same thing.

@Chris i’m getting 2005 Rubicon Dana 44 FR & Rear to swap into my 05 X 30/35 and am looking at these lines and after all this thread, wanted to see if I see a summary here:

1. Lines should work on both, so check first
2. Might not need to get lines, check them first
3. Get the Dorman Blain listed out, not the YJ, as the Dorman have a better block to fit so they won’t rub (YJ can work, but Dorman look to be bolt in no extra work)
4. Get new 1/16th crush washers avail anywhere but probably come with lines

4 great pages of info, just trying to make sure I get it right.

Reactions: JMT