Extended Front Brake Lines

It is my understanding that the washers that come with the YJ brake lines are 1/32" thick, but to ensure no leaking the TJ needs 1/16" thick washers. So if these are 1/16" they will work, but I don't see the specs listed for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
That was my understanding too. I just can’t find the dimensions anywhere.

Last edited:
I just thought that I would update this in case anyone is looking in the future. The 1/16" copper washer is Crown Part Number 3236434.

Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
Most auto parts stores will sell a multi pack of copper brake washers. So far for me, a pack has always had a thick pair that works with the YJ lines.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Getting ready to replace all of my brake lines and am glad I saw this thread. I am probably going to be around the 3" mark when I'm done. I have all new sell lines and was looking at braided. So, the YJs are a direct replacement and will work out fine for this amount if I'm understanding correctly. The banjo bolt used on a TJ is the same as a YJ? I just want to be crystal on this. What about a longer rear?

Just found that the rear doesn't need lengthened.....

Getting ready to replace all of my brake lines and am glad I saw this thread. I am probably going to be around the 3" mark when I'm done. I have all new sell lines and was looking at braided. So, the YJs are a direct replacement and will work out fine for this amount if I'm understanding correctly. The banjo bolt used on a TJ is the same as a YJ? I just want to be crystal on this. What about a longer rear?

This should answer your questions: http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/exthose/brakes-1.htm

For a 3" lift you really don't need to extend the brake lines. If in doubt, and you don't want to actually mess with the lines themselves you could get a JKS relocation bracket. I installed these years ago, and the brake lines were fine with my 3" lift and were surprisingly still fine with my Currie 4" lift (which actually gave me 4.5" of lift) and with the new long travel shocks which have a 27.4" extended length.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MIxuz7kaXQ2gIVl7XACh3TSgLlEAQYASABEgIt9fD_BwE
(I couldn't find it on Amazon).

For a 3" lift you really don't need to extend the brake lines. If in doubt, and you don't want to actually mess with the lines themselves you could get a JKS relocation bracket. I installed these years ago, and the brake lines were fine with my 3" lift and were surprisingly still fine with my Currie 4" lift (which actually gave me 4.5" of lift) and with the new long travel shocks which have a 27.4" extended length.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MIxuz7kaXQ2gIVl7XACh3TSgLlEAQYASABEgIt9fD_BwE
(I couldn't find it on Amazon).

For some reason I thought you had a Metalcoak lift!

But I second this as well. You don't really need extended brake lines, even at 4". The relocation bracket would be more than enough.

Ride height is not the concern. Droop the suspension, turn the wheels back and forth and see what is going on. My factory brake lines were near the stretching point with 22.5" long shocks. That was with 2" lift springs.

FYI, I read that we need 1/16" copper washers, not the 1/32" that are commonly sold with the YJ brake lines. If you use the thinner washers, you'll get a leak on the passenger side caliper

I'll throw this out there. If you go with the YJ brake lines and run chains on the front, be extra careful of clearance. Loose chains can strip a brake line fairly quickly.