Where did you mount your extinguisher?

Just hold it in different spots and see what fits. That’s what I did. Not complicated.

2493a3ee59380c4103572b1e59b6acba.jpg

@Jerry Bransford has a nice mount under the front seat. Not sure what he used for the mount, but it's nice and tucked away. If I was going to do it, that's where I'd put it. I don't want anything near my head in case of an accident.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Last edited:
Reactions: Fonz54 and TJRick
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Some clubs require them. I've talked to my local fire department many times and they both don't personally carry them or recommend them. I can see both sides.

Some clubs require them.

Almost all organized events require them, including Cal4Wheel events, Easter Jeep Safari at Moab, and Jeep Jamborees.

I carry two 3# fire extinguishers - one in the rear of my LJ for ready access when the camp kitchen is set up and one within reach of the driver's seat. Originally I had been looking for a single 5# unit because the small ones don't last long, but decided that two 3# extinguishers would be more versatile and also provide the total capacity I wanted.

Okay I get it for club stuff.
What don't you get about why you might ever need a fire extinguisher except for "club stuff"? It's not just club events if you take your Jeep offroad away from services like the fire department. Any number of things can happen when you're away from services like the fire department. A rollover spilling fuel, your naturally extremely hot catalytic converter causing a brush fire which has happened to me, engines catching on fire, etc. Stuff happens and the fire department won't always be close enough or even able to get to where Jeeps can go. And I don't wheel with clubs, just friends... and we all carry them. And if you ever go on an organized run they're usually required and visually checked for during safety inspections. When I lead a run one of my requirements is a fire extinguisher which no one has ever not had during any of those I ran.

I have a 2lb mounted next to the drivers seat and also one next to the passenger seat. By brother-in-law is a Chicago firefighter and he recommended these.

https://elementfire.com/pages/comparison
I have one of the 100’s in the back of the Jeep. They never expire or need to be charged. A typical 5lb ABC extinguisher will discharge in about 10-15 seconds , the element 100 takes 100 seconds. Hopefully I never get a chance to test it.

Last edited:
They’re required on our runs. They’re required at most events we do, adventure races, club crawl events, etc. I’ve never personally caught fire on a trail but others in my group have and the extinguishers we had suppressed the fire and saved the trucks. Both times it happened this year. One was an electrical fire, and one was a hydro assist steering line failure that caused a fire.

Make sure there’s at least one accessible to the driver. While buckled, while upside down or flopped over etc. Know your mount and how to work it by touch, without looking at it. Just my .02