Extra crossmember on frame?

Ed Langenfeld

This frame looks about as clean as i have seen for an 04, but I don't thinl i jave seen this "extra" bolted on crossmember. Im assuming it's because I'm a newbie. Any info/insight would be appreciated. Thx in advance!

9416.jpeg
9417.jpeg
9413.jpeg

Okay, that's bizarre. That extra crossmember almost appears to be factory, and I'm not even sure what it's there for.

Is this a 4 cylinder model or a 6 cylinder?

Is that something that should be of concern? From what I can tell from the pics, the frame is pretty clean for a 2004 in Western NY

No, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I would however ask the owner if they have any idea why it's there.

The important thing is that the frame is clean, the title is clean, and that it doesn't have any history of accidents on the CarFax.

@Jerry Bransford, have you ever seen anything like this before?

Isn't that a support for the auto tranny? I know my frame has openings for an additional nutsert there, but since I have the manual, its open.

I assume the crossmember you're talking about is the one ahead of the skidplate...

Isn't that a support for the auto tranny? I know my frame has openings for an additional nutsert there, but since I have the manual, its open.

I assume the crossmember you're talking about is the one ahead of the skidplate...

Mine is a 2005 with an auto tranny and it doesn't have this support on it. My old 2005 which was also an automatic didn't have it either. They are both Rubicon models though, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

rangler-automatic-transmission-fluid-filter-change-img_1269-jeep-wrangler-automatic-transmission.jpg

Your current one was probably already removed, due to it being lifted. Was your first TJ lifted when you bought it? I guess there is front driveshaft interference when you lift them so they are removed pretty commonly (from 5 minutes of google research)

View attachment 37970

Your current one was probably already removed, due to it being lifted. Was your first TJ lifted when you bought it? I guess there is front driveshaft interference when you lift them so they are removed pretty commonly (from 5 minutes of google research)

Both my TJs were lifted when I bought them, so that must be it.

First time I’ve ever seen this crossmember before, but I guess that explains it. The lift would likely cause the driveshaft to hit the crossmember.

Cross member to attach the front of the oem auto tranny skid plate. Have it on my '04 Rubi, and it's also on my previously owned '03 X.

I used to hear a clunk on my X when I went around a certain corner that had a dip the front left tire would go into. Took a while to diagnose, but found out it was the drive shaft hitting that skid plate. I never did anything about it, it did not happen often. Some have notched the skid plate to provide more clearance. I've never experienced my drive shaft on my Rubi hitting anything, even after the OME lift.

Since you don't have the skid plate, no reason you couldn't remove that cross member if you don't want it there, but I imagine it provides a modicum of protection for the auto tranny.

My rubicon had one we called a shovel.....first cat push you hit, it takes a chunk out of. Tummy tucked mine not long after I bought it

Reactions: Chris