F the Bronco

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
The actual Bronco model didn’t enter the fray until 24 years after our Jeeps introduction, to compete against the CJ5 and Scout. Jeep already served us for 24 years. The Bronco was actually a cool unit for only a few years, and then it became a big pig, and later it became a small POS. Now they come out banging a drum and blowing their horns with a new rig and a multi-million dollar marketing strategy. The Jeep has been there for us uninterrupted since 1941, and each and every year was a great off road rig and an adequate on road rig, with road models in their lineup for mom to make it up the driveway in snow. My TJ, my son’s JK and my wife’s JL will still be driving while Ford knuckles through the inevitable recalls and TSBs and the tool companies are designing more Ford specific specialty tools for routine maintenance and repairs. Truly, I wish them well, but the Bronco branding does not knock the “Jeep” off of the throne with a few marketing photo ops and tailored events. The proof will be, how does it behave a few years later on the trail, and what is it’s actual cash value after the dust settles when you go to sell it? My TJ cost about 22K new, and would probably get 14K seventeen years later. Inflation aside, not bad.

you realize that Jeep(FCA) and every other major brand goes through recalls and TSB's right, especially with a 1st year model. I work for GM and let me say that the new 2020 3/4 ton, 1 ton and corvette are all riddled with issues. it happens with 1st year cars. and I myself love the look of the new Bronco however my Wife works for Ford RAV (Reacquired Vehicles aka Lemon law) i wont be buying one any time soon lol.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Again, I wish them well and hope their rig is a smashing success. But I won't fly the Jeep is in trouble flag. The Bronco model history had some serious duds. I can't think of a past CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, or JL I'd be embarrassed to own. They had some occasionally limp engine options, but that was a deliborate choice a buyer could make. Maybe one day we will be buying a used 2022 Bronco for heavy off roading use because it is so spectacular, but that remains to be seen.

We are not talking about the 1st generation failures.

We are looking at where the JL & Bronco stands in the market based from "current" design and capabilities.

Edit: You are on denial if you think JL did not embarrassed the Jeep enthusiast. Just the word soccer mom is embarrassing enough labeled from a dude's rig.

Last edited:
I’m sitting back and watching. I don’t think any of the new vehicles can compare to a TJ. Easy to work on, very reliable, and willing to go where you point it. I think the new Bronco does have some curb appeal, but it doesn’t scream take me to the trails.

I'd expect the JL sales to take a big hit, it has been out there for almost 3 model years and a brand new option should be a game changer. This year JL sales were going to take a hit without the Bronco.

Reactions: HardSell
I’m sitting back and watching. I don’t think any of the new vehicles can compare to a TJ. Easy to work on, very reliable, and willing to go where you point it. I think the new Bronco does have some curb appeal, but it doesn’t scream take me to the trails.
I agree 100% TJ is not in the same level of these new SUVs.
But again, some of us who owns the real Jeeps (TJs) are getting snagged by the Bronco design and capabilities because it is almost like a novel.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I agree 100% TJ is not in the same level of these new SUVs.
But again, some of us who owns the real Jeeps (TJs) are getting snagged by the Bronco design and capabilities because it is almost like a novel.
For those that get snagged, means more on the market for us to buy...

Even if you order a new Bronco, I've heard it may take well over a year to receive one.

In addition, am I the only one who hates it? I mean really, I look at that new Bronco and all I see is a bloated pig. I think the JL looks far better.

That's not to say the Bronco won't be a good vehicle and have good off-road chops. However, I think that looks wise it looks like a big, bloated turd.

I wouldn't even consider one personally. It probably doesn't help either that I extremely distrust Ford.

Even if you order a new Bronco, I've heard it may take well over a year to receive one.

In addition, am I the only one who hates it? I mean really, I look at that new Bronco and all I see is a bloated pig. I think the JL looks far better.

That's not to say the Bronco won't be a good vehicle and have good off-road chops. However, I think that looks wise it looks like a big, bloated turd.

I wouldn't even consider one personally. It probably doesn't help either that I extremely distrust Ford.
I need to see them in person

Market is the key.... nobody will make a vehicle designed for Off-road first.... they just won't. The TJ Rubicon was probably the last one that had equal design intent for on/off road.

The vehicle will be designed as a daily driver road car.... in off-road clothing. To me... that's what the Bronco is. My guess is that less than 5% will ever see anything beyond a dirt road. On top of that most of them will be leased (most expensive cars are) and the limitations of Leases will dictate that most of them sit in parking lots.... not mountains.

Current Jeeps are in that same market but they have held on to a few off-road keys (solid axels etc.). If the Bronco is very successful my guess is that Jeep will follow and we'll see an even more dramatic move to off-road visuals but car manners. It's what the market wants.

Market is the key.... nobody will make a vehicle designed for Off-road first.... they just won't. The TJ Rubicon was probably the last one that had equal design intent for on/off road.

The vehicle will be designed as a daily driver road car.... in off-road clothing. To me... that's what the Bronco is. My guess is that less than 5% will ever see anything beyond a dirt road. On top of that most of them will be leased (most expensive cars are) and the limitations of Leases will dictate that most of them sit in parking lots.... not mountains.

Current Jeeps are in that same market but they have held on to a few off-road keys (solid axels etc.). If the Bronco is very successful my guess is that Jeep will follow and we'll see an even more dramatic move to off-road visuals but car manners. It's what the market wants.

These have basically been my thoughts since the Bronco has been released.

They almost made it good looking, but fell short. I am biased towards the old Bronco's looks. The Bronco's appearance is as sad as a good looking girl with blatant gender dysphoria.