Facebook: Hey Can We Pretty Please Maybe Have Lots of Your Banking Information Too?

Never been on FB, never plan to be. Question - if you were on Facebook for any length of time, and 'canceled' your account, do they have all that stuff you did while on stored forever?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and ac_
Never been on FB, never plan to be. Question - if you were on Facebook for any length of time, and 'canceled' your account, do they have all that stuff you did while on stored forever?
I don't know their policy, but I imagine that they will have it for a number of years if not forever, because if their Database Admins are anything like my Wifee, they never delete anything, and even if they do prune it after a number of years it will be backed up on a back DB somewhere.

I don't know this for sure, but I bet they have some deal with feds on some length of time to keep it.

I am lucky because other than a few pictures of me and most of them with a motorcycle helmet on everything else was an alias. I suppose if they really went down to layer one they could find me through a DHCP address from my ISP, although now I mostly use a random vpn IP, so it would be much trickier for them.

I don't know their policy, but I imagine that they will have it for a number of years if not forever, because if their Database Admins are anything like my Wifee, they never delete anything, and even if they do prune it after a number of years it will be backed up on a back DB somewhere.

I don't know this for sure, but I bet they have some deal with feds on some length of time to keep it.

I am lucky because other than a few pictures of me and most of them with a motorcycle helmet on everything else was an alias. I suppose if they really went down to layer one they could find me through a DHCP address from my ISP, although now I mostly use a random vpn IP, so it would be much trickier for them.

When you delete your account, they supposedly do a soft delete for 30 days where you can still recover your account within that time.

After that time, your account and all it's contents are permanently erased and can't be recovered. Of course while they may say that, I'm sure that just as you stated, their database admins could likely recover your stuff if they wanted to.

The moral of the story is that once you put information out there on the internet, there's no way to get rid of it forever, short of destroying the entire internet and the server farms (or just wiping out technology as we know it).

When you delete your account, they supposedly do a soft delete for 30 days where you can still recover your account within that time.

After that time, your account and all it's contents are permanently erased and can't be recovered. Of course while they may say that, I'm sure that just as you stated, their database admins could likely recover your stuff if they wanted to.

The moral of the story is that once you put information out there on the internet, there's no way to get rid of it forever, short of destroying the entire internet and the server farms (or just wiping out technology as we know it).

A few years ago I was sick and at Walgreens, and they have some store card. I agreed to give them info on the card because I wasn't thinking straight. Then when I was lucid I went back to the store to get it erased and they said I had to call corporate of f which I did. I called and asked to be removed from everything. They said no problem. A few months later I went back, and all of my stuff was still activated. I went home and called corporate and told them to remove me. They then told me that they cannot remove me! I was like what? just right click and delete. She said the best they can do is scramble the info in the database. I decided I was going to be too pissed if I ever went back there and found out it didn't get done. I have never been back to Walgreens since. I don't sign up for any cards except I do have a Frys grocery card but none of the information is correct. They give you the card and let you fill it out later, I just never filled it out. Now I can get discount prices on old grocery products.

I am leary about buying things online because they need so much information, but I will do it with reputable companies and I usually if I have a choice either pay pay-pal or I click the button that says don't remember my info. It's not perfect, but hopefully I have some layer of privacy and security.

A few years ago I was sick and at Walgreens, and they have some store card. I agreed to give them info on the card because I wasn't thinking straight. Then when I was lucid I went back to the store to get it erased and they said I had to call corporate of f which I did. I called and asked to be removed from everything. They said no problem. A few months later I went back, and all of my stuff was still activated. I went home and called corporate and told them to remove me. They then told me that they cannot remove me! I was like what? just right click and delete. She said the best they can do is scramble the info in the database. I decided I was going to be too pissed if I ever went back there and found out it didn't get done. I have never been back to Walgreens since. I don't sign up for any cards except I do have a Frys grocery card but none of the information is correct. They give you the card and let you fill it out later, I just never filled it out. Now I can get discount prices on old grocery products.

I am leary about buying things online because they need so much information, but I will do it with reputable companies and I usually if I have a choice either pay pay-pal or I click the button that says don't remember my info. It's not perfect, but hopefully I have some layer of privacy and security.

I hear you 100%. Nothing is ever gone for good in this digital age. That doesn't surprise me one bit about Walgreens, though it would piss me off just as much.

Still, you have to pick and choose. I feel safe giving my information to Apple (which is why I own so much Apple stuff), namely because Apple has gone out of their way to really take a stand against privacy (Google can't say the same).

Amazon is another one that I have to cave to, just because they are so great to deal with.

However, I always avoid the hole in the wall websites that want your information, yet no one has ever heard of them before.

Reactions: ac_
I absolutely despise Zuckerberg and the book of faces. This just makes me despise it even more.

https://gizmodo.com/facebook-hey-can-we-pretty-please-maybe-have-lots-of-y-1828150440

I'd love to drop a deuce on Zuckerberg's face. Glad to say I have never signed up for those social media sites, the car and jeep forums are the only social media sites I use, if they are considered social media.

Adam Sandler from Funny People said it best, at least from my exact point of view.

MySpace co-founder Tom Anderson even makes an appearance, asking Adam Sandler: “Do you actually use MySpace?”

Adam Sandler: “I f*ck girls, Tom. I don’t have time for that.”

I hear you 100%. Nothing is ever gone for good in this digital age. That doesn't surprise me one bit about Walgreens, though it would piss me off just as much.

Still, you have to pick and choose. I feel safe giving my information to Apple (which is why I own so much Apple stuff), namely because Apple has gone out of their way to really take a stand against privacy (Google can't say the same).

Amazon is another one that I have to cave to, just because they are so great to deal with.

However, I always avoid the hole in the wall websites that want your information, yet no one has ever heard of them before.

I have a Amazon and Apple account, but it took me a while to warm up to apple. In 2007 when the iphones first came out we all got one for being on-call. At that time you had to set up your account with a credit card. I was super hesitant and sure enough, my card got compromised on Apple for just shy of a grand. My bank immediately canceled my card of which then Apple suspended my account. Now this was a work account with a personal card. It was a bear to work with apple to get it straightened out, and almost a year finally.

How I got around it now is at the time they wanted a new credit card, but I gave a number to a spent rebate card that had no money on it, and they accepted it. I can't buy anything, but I can't get ripped off either. I don't' buy anything from apple anyway, so that works for me.

I don't even have any cloud accounts. I mean like storying data. All of my media and data is stored at my home on two servers. I stream music/movies/books/pictures to my phone, tablet, computers, car etc. Anything other than email that you would store in the cloud I do at home. Except email but I am working on a new email server of my own. Since I am not trying to be president, I can do that.

Reactions: skrelnik
I'd love to drop a deuce on Zuckerberg's face. Glad to say I have never signed up for those social media sites, the car and jeep forums are the only social media sites I use, if they are considered social media.

Adam Sandler from Funny People said it best, at least from my exact point of view.

MySpace co-founder Tom Anderson even makes an appearance, asking Adam Sandler: “Do you actually use MySpace?”

Adam Sandler: “I f*ck girls, Tom. I don’t have time for that.”

Haha, too funny!

I hate Zuckerberg. That smug look on his face all the time... it bothers me so much!

I never considered forums social media. I was using them 20 years ago way before any of this modern day B.S.

Reactions: ac_ and skrelnik
I have a Amazon and Apple account, but it took me a while to warm up to apple. In 2007 when the iphones first came out we all got one for being on-call. At that time you had to set up your account with a credit card. I was super hesitant and sure enough, my card got compromised on Apple for just shy of a grand. My bank immediately canceled my card of which then Apple suspended my account. Now this was a work account with a personal card. It was a bear to work with apple to get it straightened out, and almost a year finally.

How I got around it now is at the time they wanted a new credit card, but I gave a number to a spent rebate card that had no money on it, and they accepted it. I can't buy anything, but I can't get ripped off either. I don't' buy anything from apple anyway, so that works for me.

I don't even have any cloud accounts. I mean like storying data. All of my media and data is stored at my home on two servers. I stream music/movies/books/pictures to my phone, tablet, computers, car etc. Anything other than email that you would store in the cloud I do at home. Except email but I am working on a new email server of my own. Since I am not trying to be president, I can do that.

My favorite is when all those celebrities got their nude photos hacked and posted online. They complained about how it was invasion of privacy (and yes, it actually is), but they're the ones who had their damn photos stored in the iCloud, so what the hell did they think was going to happen?

Seriously, I don't feel sorry when something like that happens. If you're stupid enough to think you can take a photo like that (especially being famous) and that NO ONE but you has access to it, you're just naive.

iCloud confused me at first, but I totally get it now. This is probably because I'm a Mac guy through and through. I work on an iMac, I have an iPad, an iPhone, etc.

I don't want to say that it's that I'm so madly in love with Apple that I can't see past any of their weaknesses, but I really, really love MacOS (and iOS) and how easy they are to use.

My favorite is when all those celebrities got their nude photos hacked and posted online. They complained about how it was invasion of privacy (and yes, it actually is), but they're the ones who had their damn photos stored in the iCloud, so what the hell did they think was going to happen?

Seriously, I don't feel sorry when something like that happens. If you're stupid enough to think you can take a photo like that (especially being famous) and that NO ONE but you has access to it, you're just naive.

iCloud confused me at first, but I totally get it now. This is probably because I'm a Mac guy through and through. I work on an iMac, I have an iPad, an iPhone, etc.

I don't want to say that it's that I'm so madly in love with Apple that I can't see past any of their weaknesses, but I really, really love MacOS (and iOS) and how easy they are to use.

That was awesome when all those naked pics were released, too funny, and they deserved all of it.

Apple vs MSFT is the huge debate, in my field, I live in MSFT Excel so I cannot use the Apple version else my formulas get all messed up and never work. To each his own, but they are both tremendous companies/products when taking a high level look at them.

That was awesome when all those naked pics were released, too funny, and they deserved all of it.

Apple vs MSFT is the huge debate, in my field, I live in MSFT Excel so I cannot use the Apple version else my formulas get all messed up and never work. To each his own, but they are both tremendous companies/products when taking a high level look at them.

I agree. Without turning this into a political discussion, I've come to despise most of mainstream Hollywood and their loud mouths.

I hear you on that debate. For me, working in web and graphics, Mac is the definitive choice. In fact, I don't know one single person in the web or graphic field that doesn't use a Mac. However, Microsoft dominates the mainstream office market and a lot of businesses rely on it.

Still, use Mac OS for a week and I promise you (or anyone else) you'll be blown away by how much better of an OS it is. This is coming from someone who grew up with Windows 95, built his own PCs, and worked exclusively on Microsoft until someone turned me onto a Mac 10 years ago. Had they never turned me onto it, I never would have realized what I'd been missing.

I agree. Without turning this into a political discussion, I've come to despise most of mainstream Hollywood and their loud mouths.

I hear you on that debate. For me, working in web and graphics, Mac is the definitive choice. In fact, I don't know one single person in the web or graphic field that doesn't use a Mac. However, Microsoft dominates the mainstream office market and a lot of businesses rely on it.

Still, use Mac OS for a week and I promise you (or anyone else) you'll be blown away by how much better of an OS it is. This is coming from someone who grew up with Windows 95, built his own PCs, and worked exclusively on Microsoft until someone turned me onto a Mac 10 years ago. Had they never turned me onto it, I never would have realized what I'd been missing.

My college roomate had a mac and he loved it, and as you indicated the art field needs a mac, and my former roomate is a graphic designer, so it works really well for him. He used to make CD album art, still does as a hobby, but now does anything from restaurant take-out menu to corporate xmas cards.

I have tried Mac and cannot adjust to it, I tried, and need a PC to optimally perform at my job.

For my phone, I switch it up and buy used ones from swappa.com, and to this day, my favorite phone was a Nokia (pre MSFT takover) with the windows operating system. That phones version of Excel was more powerful than Excel on a Mac, and I could play Civilization Revolution which is not available on any other phones o/s...but the MSFT platform didn't have common apps, like banks app, or any halfway decent apps, so I am back on the android platform with no Civ.

Reactions: Chris
I use Linux as my work desktop and home desktops and servers. I do have a mac book pro 13 inch because it was the best 13 inch hardware, I could find and needed one for traveling on the motorcycle. I run Debian in a virtualbox and I run X2go for a debian desktop as I don't prefer the mac desktop. I wish Mac gave you different window manager choices. When OSX first came you you had a choice to run gnome. But they quickly put a stop to that. I don't like how the multiple desktops work in MAC. But You definitely can't beat the video card in the 13 inchers. So I usually run Debian on my macs. I am getting frustrated that the 13 inch macs are still running dual core processers. I can definitely bog down a mac book pro to a slow crawl that frustrates me with them, but a dual boot into debian runs better especially because I don't need virtualbox in that desktop.

I don't really have anything against any OS, although I think it is bullshit how expensive microsoft is yet they allow advertising on the desktop. So I prefer not to use it, but I don't judge if others do. I like the sleek hardware design of the mac, but find the os slow and easy to bog down. I have been running Linux professionally since the year 2000, so I prefer it to anything else. I can even run it on a key chain.

There is faults to all and they all have their place, but I prefer the Tux.

My work is a Linux shop, so as you can imagine I am pretty happy about that.

One nice thing about MacOS... they give it away for free!

I wish Microsoft did the same. Of course then they'd lose a butt-ton of money.

Ridiculous!

But what gets me is people think I am some sort of tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theory guy when I tell them that any voice activated device, weather it be your cell phone, smart TV, and those stupid godforsaken amazon/google home devices listen to your conversations and based on keywords sell that information to 3rd party marketing companies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/wor...-familys-conversation-and-sends-it-to-one-of/

I've mentioned this at work before and had co-workers confirm that based on conversations they had with people, in the presence of their cell phones, started noticing targeted ad's on facebook/google ads that related directly to the conversations they had. Coincidence (??) I think not!
Technically a good enough hacker could even exploit your cell phone to listen to you and record your conversations.

I’m not a fan of those home assistant devices. I really do wonder if those things listen in. I personally wouldn’t be surprised if they do. There would be no way for the average person to know.

Coincidence. They likely Google'd the items in their conversation or at least made an attempt to look up something related. Adsense and other ad software tailor the ads that way. Also, I've tracked the incoming and outgoing packets of my Amazon Alexa using Wireshark. Never noticed any "odd" or unfamiliar traffic coming in or going. Alexa is always listening but will only act on wakeup commands. How else could the 'Alexa' wake up key work without it doing that?
That article just seemed like a family that doesn't understand technology and wanted their 5 minutes of fame.

Reactions: ac_ and Chris
Also, I've tracked the incoming and outgoing packets of my Amazon Alexa using Wireshark. Never noticed any "odd" or unfamiliar traffic coming in or going.

Good to know!

Truth be told wifee has an alexa, and really all it is is an expensive egg timer, and a quick jeopardy game now and again. We don't use it for anything really useful.

Ridiculous!

But what gets me is people think I am some sort of tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theory guy when I tell them that any voice activated device, weather it be your cell phone, smart TV, and those stupid godforsaken amazon/google home devices listen to your conversations and based on keywords sell that information to 3rd party marketing companies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/wor...-familys-conversation-and-sends-it-to-one-of/

I've mentioned this at work before and had co-workers confirm that based on conversations they had with people, in the presence of their cell phones, started noticing targeted ad's on facebook/google ads that related directly to the conversations they had. Coincidence (??) I think not!

My Boss had that exact thing happen to him....talking to his wife about a new couch and 20 mins later got an advert for one on his phone...definitely not random

We'll see, it has voice activation and if someone truly is listening or can, It won't be long before that gets exploited. That is all I need is someone to have a voice command to open my garage door.
Nothing wrong with this device.. :D
chicago_1250-1499_cut_key_large.png

Reactions: Chris and ac_
Good to know!

Truth be told wifee has an alexa, and really all it is is an expensive egg timer, and a quick jeopardy game now and again. We don't use it for anything really useful.

I unplugged mine because I realized I didn't actually want a glorified Bluetooth speaker that I had to plug in. Eventually we'll have Jarvis like assistants.