Factor 55 flat link vs standard winch hook

jazngab

Done but not quite finished
Supporting Member
Anyone running the factor 55 flat link? Obviously it’s a nice upgrade from the standard winch hook but it’s pretty pricey at $140. Is it worth the hefty price tag? How about the smittybilt aluminum winch shackle that’s half that price at $70? Or just live with the standard winch hook since i already have it? Any pros and cons?

Ooh! We get to learn about unnecessary redundant connections again! :)
I actually searched the entire gear thread and didn’t find anything. But telling from the responses I’m getting I’m guessing they’re not worth it

I actually searched the entire gear thread and didn’t find anything. But telling from the responses I’m getting I’m guessing they’re not worth it
What is the difference between a F55 doohicky and a shackle?

I'm just going to sit back and watch this one to see how it unfolds, and I'm only going to say "dangerous, gimmicky garbage for morons" just this once.
What is the difference between a F55 doohicky and a shackle?
im not sure. Which is why I asked. But im glad I did because I didn’t unnecessarily spend the money on it.

Reactions: matkal and Squatch
One of the goals of safe rigging is to have only as many connections as is needed to do the job. Is that happening here?

M'kay, good...now it's Quiz Time: explain what you understand about it.
It’s a “closed loop system”.....eliminates rattling....holds snug against fairlead....so forth. Amazon reviews can be sketchy but it got plenty of positive reviews. So I figured I’d ask real opinions.

Ok to piggyback off of that, is it better to skip the d-ring when using a tree saver strap?
You are on the right track to skip things. First, the D-ring is the steel tab on the bumper that the bow shackle attaches to. Second, that black loop on the end of the rope is called a thimble. What could you do to eliminate connections so as to join the thimble to the tree saver strap?

Reactions: psrivats
It’s a “closed loop system”.....eliminates rattling....holds snug against fairlead....so forth. Amazon reviews can be sketchy but it got plenty of positive reviews. So I figured I’d ask real opinions.

No opinion needed. Read that previous post about "unnecessary connections" and look at the pictures.

Reactions: jazngab
You are on the right track to skip things. First, the D-ring is the steel tab on the bumper that the bow shackle attaches to. Second, that black loop on the end of the rope is called a thimble. What could you do to eliminate connections so as to join the thimble to the tree saver strap?
Got it. What I thought is the d-ring is actually called the bow shackle. The winch hook to the tree strap. The end.

Reactions: billiebob and jjvw
Good. Here are a couple pics to think about. In addition to reducing connections, what if we could make some of those connections soft?

Reactions: jimsmith29841
Good. Here are a couple pics to think about. In addition to reducing connections, what if we could make some of those connections soft?
View attachment 78804

View attachment 78805
My winch connection looks like this. I guess I don’t have a thimble? I’ve seen those soft shackles. They’re “supposed to” be safer? Or is that just nonsense as well?

8BE2D02B-8D2A-44DB-BF28-08A4AD733B59.jpeg

You have a thimble. It's the supporting metal loop at the end of the rope. I also have a thimble. And its a thimble that does what F55 pretends to do.

My soft shackles have a breaking strength of 30k lbs. I trust that they are safe for my use.

You have a thimble. It's the supporting metal loop at the end of the rope. I also have a thimble. And its a thimble that does what F55 pretends to do.
Thanks for the lesson in winch connections 101. I learned valuable information. Much appreciated.