Factor 55 flat link vs standard winch hook

I was thinking about the soft shackles I got and looking at my bumper anchors. They have sharp edges. Should I break those edges with a die grinder or countersink (if I can find a 3/4" one to borrow) to protect the soft shackle or is it not necessary? This is my first experience with them.
Also interested if there is any feedback / concerns with using soft shackles with a shackle anchor that has sharp edges. Makes sense that in a perfect world they would be rounded similar to a hawse fairlead but with TREs 30k break strength if it would be an issue.

Reactions: Mike_H and jjvw
I was thinking about the soft shackles I got and looking at my bumper anchors. They have sharp edges. Should I break those edges with a die grinder or countersink (if I can find a 3/4" one to borrow) to protect the soft shackle or is it not necessary? This is my first experience with them.

A larger drill bit also works as an effective countersink to round the edges.

but with TREs 30k break strength if it would be an issue.

It is an issue because the winch line (or shackles) is made up of many smaller strands of fiber (like most ropes are). Each of those strands is not rated for the break strength. I've partially cut a few recovering stuck cars when I didn't have anything better to attach with.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
It is an issue because the winch line (or shackles) is made up of many smaller strands of fiber (like most ropes are). Each of those strands is not rated for the break strength. I've partially cut a few recovering stuck cars when I didn't have anything better to attach with.

Thanks. I thought so, but wanted to confirm...Now...to find a giant countersink...

Reactions: jjvw
Since we all assumed it would not be good to run them on a sharp edge, I figured I would ask TRE. Their response is below.

Hi Joe, you are correct. You need to radius the hole edges and remove the common laser/plasma seam from inside the hole.

I use a large counter-sink bit on the holes, and a pencil file or similar to remove the seam. Then clean up the edges with a 120grit flap disc, It is not perfect but will relieve some of the stress on the soft shackle. We are working on a solution for this very issue! Any more questions, please ask. Thanks, Ricky

Giant Countersink (1.5"!)....Check. No Flapdisc, but I do have a mandrel with a slot to receive emory paper. I'll run that through the hole to remove the plasma start/stop point and break the edge from the 45. Its nice having a full toolroom at work :)

Last edited: