Factory Decal Color?

PRNDL

guess we'll never know
Supporting Member
2004 Electric Lime Green Rubicon

My decals are not black, they are a dark gray. Is this a factory decal color? If so, what other paint colors were matched with this dark gray from the factory? Does anyone have experience matching this color with something from pixeldecals? My closest guess is the Dark Charcoal color.

https://www.pixeldecals.com/shop/Vinyl-Color-Chart
PXL_20211029_161147615.MP.jpg

PXL_20211029_161301405.MP.jpg

2004 Electric Lime Green Rubicon

My decals are not black, they are a dark gray. Is this a factory decal color? If so, what other paint colors were matched with this dark gray from the factory? Does anyone have experience matching this color with something from pixeldecals? My closest guess is the Dark Charcoal color.

https://www.pixeldecals.com/shop/Vinyl-Color-Chart
View attachment 288054

View attachment 288055
The rubicon’s decal colors are light silver and dark silver.I think that was the only colors available

Granted the pictures are terrible for evaluating color, but I don't think its faded black. I'd be more inclined to believe that its aftermarket decals in dark silver/gray than that its faded black. Maybe I'll creep on a local rubicon the next time I see one.

Reactions: John Cooper
I used to do pinstriping and decals, especially for repair shops who needed to replace or match factory work, so I've done a lot of matching factory colors. I'm familiar with the Oracal, 3M and Avery colors from that website, although I'm not very familiar with Arlon. I'm also not familiar with Rubicon decals specifically but I'm familiar with Jeep decals in general and my 01 sport is listed as dark silver metallic so I assume it's the same decal.

I'm saying all that to say this..

I don't have a freaking clue.

Ok, I do have a clue, but not a great answer. The factory color is really a dark grey and if they have any metallic in them, it's hard to see. I'm not aware of anything to match the factory color, assuming yours is factory and is the same color as I'm familiar with. Oracal and Avery have nothing close. 3M makes a pinstripe close to that color, but they quit selling large rolls of vinyl in those colors years ago. There's only one company I know of that makes a color close to it and I've never bought that color from them to know for sure.

The Avery Dark Charcoal would be my choice for closest match. It will be a bit lighter and more metallic than factory. Black would be a bit darker obviously but would match the lack of metallic in the factory decal. Matte black would also look good but it's matte, no factory decals are matte. I'm speaking as if I'm holding these colors up beside a factory decal and trying to find the one perfect match. It would be hard to tell a difference with any of them once they're on the vehicle. No one will ever notice any difference.

I used to do pinstriping and decals, especially for repair shops who needed to replace or match factory work, so I've done a lot of matching factory colors. I'm familiar with the Oracal, 3M and Avery colors from that website, although I'm not very familiar with Arlon. I'm also not familiar with Rubicon decals specifically but I'm familiar with Jeep decals in general and my 01 sport is listed as dark silver metallic so I assume it's the same decal.

I'm saying all that to say this..

I don't have a freaking clue.

Ok, I do have a clue, but not a great answer. The factory color is really a dark grey and if they have any metallic in them, it's hard to see. I'm not aware of anything to match the factory color, assuming yours is factory and is the same color as I'm familiar with. Oracal and Avery have nothing close. 3M makes a pinstripe close to that color, but they quit selling large rolls of vinyl in those colors years ago. There's only one company I know of that makes a color close to it and I've never bought that color from them to know for sure.

The Avery Dark Charcoal would be my choice for closest match. It will be a bit lighter and more metallic than factory. Black would be a bit darker obviously but would match the lack of metallic in the factory decal. Matte black would also look good but it's matte, no factory decals are matte. I'm speaking as if I'm holding these colors up beside a factory decal and trying to find the one perfect match. It would be hard to tell a difference with any of them once they're on the vehicle. No one will ever notice any difference.
Lol, quality post. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm making a big deal about taking a $10 risk to see if the color difference is going to bother me or not. I'll just suck it up and try a couple.

Reactions: John Cooper
My orange LJR has the light silver, and of course I think it looks good. ;)
Guess I always assumed the rest were black.

sand3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PRNDL