Factory looking head units with Bluetooth capability?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I need a new head unit to replace the stock one on my TJ. However, when I look around, most of them look like futuristic screens with a bunch of buttons. Not that I'm oppose to this, but it just looks a bit out of place to me on the dash.

I was hoping to find a head unit that doesn't play CDs, but has an aux port, Bluetooth capability (so I can stream from my iPhone), and maybe hands free calling. I just want something that looks a little more "90s" or factory looking than all these futuristic looking ones I see on Crutchfield, Amazon, etc.

Reactions: SSTJ and ARae4TJ
I have been meaning to get me one as well
This company sells modified units and or updates your existing unit

http://www.1factoryradio.com/reman-...ler-dodge-2002-07-radio-am-fm-cd-rbk-digital/

Oh wow, that's really cool! Very expensive, but I like the factory look, since it doesn't look out of place like most of the aftermarket head units.

Kenwood KDC X702.

This has great streaming qualities using Qualcomm's aptX. Has everything you listed on your "want-list", but it does have a CD player which you do not want, but that does not negatively impact anything. the appearance is subjective.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kdc-x702/

I like the ones without CD players because they are easier to install and remove, plus, I haven't used a CD in at least 7 years, so it's basically just something else to break that I don't need. That one looks pretty good though, but still a bit too "modern" for my tastes.

I have been meaning to get me one as well
This company sells modified units and or updates your existing unit

http://www.1factoryradio.com/reman-...ler-dodge-2002-07-radio-am-fm-cd-rbk-digital/
What I run and love.

I need a new head unit to replace the stock one on my TJ. However, when I look around, most of them look like futuristic screens with a bunch of buttons. Not that I'm oppose to this, but it just looks a bit out of place to me on the dash.

I was hoping to find a head unit that doesn't play CDs, but has an aux port, Bluetooth capability (so I can stream from my iPhone), and maybe hands free calling. I just want something that looks a little more "90s" or factory looking than all these futuristic looking ones I see on Crutchfield, Amazon, etc.
Don't rule out 1FactoryRadio for your aux/bluetooth needs. I can attest it has held up to the "Oh shit my headunit wasn't stolen today" test I now run. The price is negated if you return your original stereo to be re-purposed. I think my total upgrade cost was like $65/$70? I have mine wired to an XM unit full time hidden in my dash but I can also unplug the aux and plug in my phone for longer road trips. I am not a fan of bluetooth and can't attest to their bluetooth model as I won't review something I haven't personally used. Aux has been rained on 6 times and holds up great :).

88E8D265-0A22-47FE-8E68-4AAA88090B7E.jpeg
384C5CDF-839B-4415-B68D-2A09906A7D14.jpeg
73AC6CD2-BD2D-4A22-881E-EA1EF55B3745.jpeg
A06EDD68-1353-44B1-939C-026B3050031B.jpeg

What I run and love.

Don't rule out 1FactoryRadio for your aux/bluetooth needs. I can attest it has held up to the "Oh shit my headunit wasn't stolen today" test I now run. The price is negated if you return your original stereo to be re-purposed. I think my total upgrade cost was like $65/$70? I have mine wired to an XM unit full time hidden in my dash but I can also unplug the aux and plug in my phone for longer road trips. I am not a fan of bluetooth and can't attest to their bluetooth model as I won't review something I haven't personally used. Aux has been rained on 6 times and holds up great :).

View attachment 31100 View attachment 31101 View attachment 31099 View attachment 31102

Oh I haven't dismissed it at all.

I'm assuming all of the Bluetooth has to be controlled via your phone though, right? Or does the re-purposed radio have new Bluetooth settings / menus in it?

Controlled through your phone, it appears to have an on off button for the blue tooth receiver on the face of the stereo:

http://www.1factoryradio.com/chrysl...dio-am-fm-compact-disc-player-with-bluetooth/

I guess this is my solution then. I am not so worried about it getting stolen (though this is a great deterrent for that). I just really dislike the look of the aftermarket head units. They all look so futuristic, which doesn't look right in the older interior of these TJs IMHO.

I've been pondering this as well, should I buy a TJ. I think I'd want a touchscreen though, for navigation. Blue teeth would be nice, but Android functionality would be important.

About how much space in the console is there to put something like that?

I do not think the Bluetooth version will do any hands free calling I think it is just for audio playback. To get phone support for calls etc.. a new modern radio would probably be needed

I don't think they add a new menu I think they use the CD Changer in the newer radios and the Cassette in older one correct me if I am wrong James
You are correct on the Cassette version, not 100% on the CD version although I imagine its the same. You must have a Cassette in for the AUX to work and if no cable is plugged in then the Cassette plays. You get 3 total channels from FM, Cassette, Aux (XM for me). Plenty enough :D.
I guess this is my solution then. I am not so worried about it getting stolen (though this is a great deterrent for that). I just really dislike the look of the aftermarket head units. They all look so futuristic, which doesn't look right in the older interior of these TJs IMHO.
I can agree to that. Some day we will live in a world where someone with a revolutionary radio hits the market that doesn't look like it belongs in a 99 civic :).
I do not think the Bluetooth version will do any hands free calling I think it is just for audio playback. To get phone support for calls etc.. a new modern radio would probably be needed
You can get audio through the stereo, just uses your phones mic. Same thing that occurs on my TJ. I have the top off nearly 10 months of the year so I really don't talk on the phone while driving the Jeep. I actually made more phone calls on my Sena on my motorcycle than I have in the Jeep... LOL.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
Reactions: CybrSlydr
I can agree to that. Some day we will live in a world where someone with a revolutionary radio hits the market that doesn't look like it belongs in a 99 civic :).

Yep, that's my point. All these aftermarket head units remind me of high school and people tricking out their Hondas. They all just look cheap and gimmicky to me. Not to say they don't work well, I just don't like the look of them.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Yep, that's my point. All these aftermarket head units remind me of high school and people tricking out their Hondas. They all just look cheap and gimmicky to me. Not to say they don't work well, I just don't like the look of them.

I have a pioneer head unit in my TJ and I hate the way it looks. It looks cheap and the plastic is cheap. The worst part is, out of all the lighting options (you can make this thing disco ball and change colors to the beat of the music), there isn't an OFF setting! I just set it to red and leave it. I wish I had seen the above radios before I had mine installed. I'm seriously considering buying the one above and swapping now that I've seen it. I know next to nothing about radios. Would the wires be the same as the pioneer? Could I just disconnect the other unit and bolt a new one in with the same wiring?

Reactions: Chris
I have a pioneer head unit in my TJ and I hate the way it looks. It looks cheap and the plastic is cheap. The worst part is, out of all the lighting options (you can make this thing disco ball and change colors to the beat of the music), there isn't an OFF setting! I just set it to red and leave it. I wish I had seen the above radios before I had mine installed. I'm seriously considering buying the one above and swapping now that I've seen it. I know next to nothing about radios. Would the wires be the same as the pioneer? Could I just disconnect the other unit and bolt a new one in with the same wiring?
As long as your Pioneer isn't a hack job, typically a harness is installed with it. You should be able to remove that harness and plug directly into the one (OR TWO) TJ Stereo plugs in the back.

Reactions: JeepNWilly