Fairlead Modification

Brandough

Edit: Fairlead Mount

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a warn vr evo winch to put on my motobilt bumper. I purchased what I thought was the correct fairlead but, come to find out theres actually two different universal fairleads for motobilt... As it turns out my winch doesnt fit on my fairlead. so my question is:

Can I cut this off without compromising it's function:

image.png

It turns out I needed MB1141 instead of the MB1002. I have already prepped and painted it so I cant return or exchange it.

PS: I purchased these parts through a vendor that did not denote it's incompatibility, on motobilt's webpage they do put a warning about this.

There has to be some reinforcement of that vertical or the fairlead will fold back into the winch.

Reactions: Plumber1
There has to be some reinforcement of that vertical or the fairlead will fold back into the winch.
I'm guessing that there are a lot of designers that never use or have seen a winch in use since they don't understand that under the right conditions, the winch is basically lifting the rig by the fairlead mount.

I'm guessing that there are a lot of designers that never use or have seen a winch in use since they don't understand that under the right conditions, the winch is basically lifting the rig by the fairlead mount.
Yeah Aries is probably on the top of the list with this thing.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Plumber1
I see a lot made like that. Clearly clueless as to what a fairlead mount's function is.
That and the slotted holes. The standard for recreational winches has been 4.5x10 inches for some time now so why do we need to slot it? Are your production processes so bad?

That and the slotted holes. The standard for recreational winches has been 4.5x10 inches for some time now so why do we need to slot it? Are your production processes so bad?
After the lack of any gussets or bracing, I figured the slots didn't matter. It's already crap, the slots don't make it more crap, it's still crap.

Reactions: Blackjack
Lay it on the table. I can help you make your decision. I for one, am a total expert on internet judgment. Even photoshop can't slip by my keen eye. I can rate it it by three thumbs, up, down and the dreaded sideways thumb.

Yeah Aries is probably on the top of the list with this thing.

View attachment 218166
For instance, this one has an inherent "adjustable" feature. Mostly on one axis in a radii. But, they thought it through and removed as much lateral rigidity as possible so the fairlead can turn on two axis, say in a side load, it can point toward the direction of pull.