Fake Spicer Ball Joints?

Sgt Jarhead

A wise man once said, “Google it”
Supporting Member
Have been patiently waiting on a new set of Spicer Ball Joints from Summit for the last month or so though came across another set at the same price that were in stock through eBay.

Well I received them today though after looking them over compared to the images on Summit I’m beginning to think they’re fake…?

I’d rather not go through swapping them out just to find out they’re no good. Any input is appreciated!

B01076DD-2B3C-4713-BE0F-580FFD13F2DC.jpeg

A9FABAFB-DAF5-4B2E-8E29-F291E6F10D84.jpeg

CAF3E4A0-4EAE-40E0-AE56-2FEB47001DC8.jpeg

A0DBE539-4633-4F24-9BC9-5C36F82A4707.jpeg

Last edited:
What makes you think they are fakes besides comparing photos? They look exactly like the spicer ones I installed a while back down to the laser like etching numbers. Does the seller have good feedback? How many had he sold?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Well the packaging looks correct. I know that Spicer is having supply issues and has been using alternative sources for some items so there is a chance that they could look different. Unfortunately my order of ball joints from Dana has not arrived yet or I would crack a box open to compare.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Looks like spicer ball joints to me. I don’t recall if I had numbers on mine or not but the fact that the lower has no grease point is promising. Literally ever lower ball joint I’ve ever seen besides spicer had a grease point. Bought my 2 kits from denny’s.

Reactions: P man
I've been burned by Scamazon although I was able to return them for a refund. The engraving on those look odd to me. I just installed some on my new front axle and they looked the same as all the others I have done, as in the engraving is smaller and straight, not curved. With shortages, it could be the new thing, who knows. The other thing that I don't see is the extra brass oddball part for a different application that I throw out. I've never seen print over print (engraving) either. With all the oddities, I can see why you are nervous.

Well the packaging looks correct. I know that Spicer is having supply issues and has been using alternative sources for some items so there is a chance that they could look different. Unfortunately my order of ball joints from Dana has not arrived yet or I would crack a box open to compare.

Something is a tiny bit different. None of the Spicer versions I've installed for the TJ in the last 10 years have a zinc plated upper nut or cotter pin. Not saying that is in any way definitive as a test for real or fake, but not the same is all. That and I don't see the lower adjuster for the early style that is always in the ones I get. That may be the difference. TJ specific versus generic back to 87.

Reactions: hosejockey61
Something is a tiny bit different. None of the Spicer versions I've installed for the TJ in the last 10 years have a zinc plated upper nut or cotter pin. Not saying that is in any way definitive as a test for real or fake, but not the same is all. That and I don't see the lower adjuster for the early style that is always in the ones I get. That may be the difference. TJ specific versus generic back to 87.

I wonder if it is because he was shipped individual joints versus the kit. The PN on the box the OP has is 40583 which is a single lower joint only. Unfortunately Dana took away the BOM lookup so I can not look up what was included in the individual boxes anymore.

I was not paying attention recently and had my assistant order me a pair of JKS front sway bar links at an unheard of price of $63. Well, they were knockoffs and I was impressed at the quality....unless the bushing fails tomorrow (and JKS replacements will go in them) ...so maybe there are some good surprises out there.

Back to U-joints- keep us posted, sure hate to see a lot of that going.

I wonder if it is because he was shipped individual joints versus the kit. The PN on the box the OP has is 40583 which is a single lower joint only. Unfortunately Dana took away the BOM lookup so I can not look up what was included in the individual boxes anymore.

I've purchased individuals I found at a discount long before there was any noticeable counterfeiting going on. They were kind of annoying in that they came with no hardware. Makes it even harder to compare now.

I just ordered some Spicer ball joints on Amazon this morning for $60 per side. Supposed to be here next Saturday. Free returns if they're not satisfactory.

Last edited: