California Family Big Bear Trip

Ol Blue

TJ Enthusiast
Going up to big bear with the family tomorrow. I’m trying to decide if we should take her car or the Jeep. Does anyone know of any cool/ scenic trails to check out ? I’ll be solo...I’ve only gone up with the rest of my Jeep fam and done gold mt, John Bull, Holcomb creek... Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

2 that you might try. First is Pipes Canyon Rd off 38 @ Onyx Summit. I have not been on this in a while. If it is still open it will take you to Pioneer Town and you will have to go back the same way. Second again off 38 take the Heart Bar campground road, I don’t know the forest road designation. After you pass the campground and the equestrian camp there will be a fork in the road. Left takes you to Coon Creak Jump Off and has views of the 29 Palms area. Right takes you to Fish Creak Trail Head. If you bare off to the left it takes you to an area where it overlooks Desert Hot Springs. Towards the end there is a helipad you can drive up to and the view is excellent. I was just up here 2 weeks ago and it was open. You will need 4X4 for the helipad but the rest is standard forrest service road. Not the most challenging but the views are good. These are well traveled roads so if you have issues you are not aline in the wilderness. You will cross the PCT several times. Bring some fresh fruit and high carb snacks with you when you come across hikers from the PCT they will appreciate them.

People on this forum do not realize the spectacular landscapes we have here in SoCal an hour or in my case 30 min away.

Burns Canyon takes you from Yucca Valley to Big Bear. You need the Jeep.

Reactions: Ol Blue
The trail to the fire lookout tower is beautiful and the old lookout is worth visiting. Butler peak I believe. We’re going for Father’s Day weekend the 18-22 if you’re interested

Thanks guys, we ended up taking her car. Will definitely have to check those areas out. The weather was crazy ,they got a light dusking of snow yesterday.

I had butlers peak on my radar but I believe the gate is closed and that would have been to long of a hike for my 3 yr old.

Reactions: Byhumba