Family's First LJ - 2006 Rubicon Build

techster82

Lover of Lifted LJs
Supporting Member
Well guys, it wasn't planned, but 10 days ago I drove a few hours east and picked up a rust free 2006 LJ Rubicon. If you followed my 2004 TJ build (found here) then you may have seen me talk about possibly moving to an LJ. Having the TJ for less than a year, I had no intentions to sell it so soon or move to an LJ maybe ever. I spent a good bit of time and money over the last few months making changes and upgrades from the perspective that we would have the TJ for many years. The purchase of an LJ is primarily due to wanting more room for my two young children (almost 3 and 6) as well as doing so to avoid putting a large chunk of change into a front and rear axle swap on the TJ. I mentioned to the wife that I'd really like to entertain the idea of finding an LJ and she was fully supportive of the transition (isn't she awesome!). I started out my search in this region of the country (I'm in KY) but was willing to drive a reasonable distance for a vehicle that matched our wants and price range. Ideally I wanted a Rubicon model as it gives me the best foundation to build what I want at this time without having to look at the additional cost of lockers, SYE, etc down the road. Even though they can be harder to find than non-Rubicon LJs I felt that the price difference would be justified by some of the expenses spared later on.

The biggest requirement I had for any LJ we were going to purchase was that it was a solid vehicle from a frame/body/mechanical standpoint. My TJ is pretty much rust free (a little surface rust in some places underneath) and in pretty impressive shape for being 14 years old. Pretty much any other component can be repaired or replaced but I didn't want to deal with a rusty frame. The first LJ I went to look at was actually a 2006 Rubicon almost identical to the one I purchased but the inner frame rails (and several other areas of the Jeep) were pretty full of rust (and it was and still is advertised as "no rust"). I attempted to politely educate the owner on the rust problem he had but it seems he's waiting for a buyer who doesn't bother to actually crawl underneath his LJ. I was disappointed in the condition as the vehicle was an hour or so from me and met pretty much all of our wants. I passed and continued my search.

The other features we really wanted were:

Automatic transmission. My TJ is a standard and although I love a manual the wife really prefers an auto. I have to say that the convenience in stop and go traffic around town and general driving conditions had me not fight her on this.

Mileage. The TJ has 93k miles and I didn't want to move to a Jeep that had really high miles (although it wouldn't necessarily scare me off depending on the situation).

Rubicon Package. I tried to tell myself that I'd be fine with a non-Rubicon LJ if I found a good candidate or deal but the more I talked about it the more I realized that I'd probably regret not going the Rubicon route this time around.

Color. We were flexible on this. I didn't have a color I had to have, but we did have a few colors that we didn't want. The TJ is Light Khaki Metallic and while I never really even looked at that color before purchasing it I will say that it grew on me. We also were fine with Silver, White, Red, Green or Blue. We didn't want Black and the wife didn't like Impact Orange (although I really like it). I did really want a black/slate interior (versus tan or a lighter color) so when taking that into account it might have ruled out some particular colors (although that was an area I was somewhat flexible on).

Hard Top/Soft Top. The TJ has both a hard and soft top but because we drive it mostly in the spring/summer/fall and in good weather it rarely has a top or doors on. The hard top also can be a pain to store when not in use so I was fine with not having a hard top for the LJ. I might pick one up down the road based on our usage but the LJ won't be a daily driver and will spend its winters inside.

Expanding my search came across a 2006 Red Automatic LJ Rubicon in Virginia that was rust free, had two previous owners and had a really good condition body and interior with 105k miles. After calling the owner and requesting more information and pictures we agreed on a price and I met him to grab the LJ. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous as I've never before purchased (or agreed to purchase) a vehicle sight unseen, let alone one that I would have to drive a good ways to see or pickup. We met halfway between both of us and when I pulled up with a U-Haul car hauler this is how she looked.

IMG_4180.jpg

The first thing I did was crawl around the vehicle and examine the areas that would have been a concern for rust, wear etc. It looked as good as it did in the pictures he sent so we headed out for a drive. Everything seemed as expected. The interior was in good shape with just a few little things that I'll touch up or replace and everything seemed to function (axle locks, transfer case, transmission etc). There was some play in the steering at certain speeds but I wasn't as concerned with that due to the entire suspension and wheel/tire setup being changed by me. There is a slight oil leak that looks like its coming from the valve cover which I'll address this week. I guess you could say there wasn't any major flags that caused me to want to walk away from our deal. So we completed some title transfer paperwork and he helped me load it up on the trailer.

IMG_4181.jpg

Here we are all loaded up and on our way back to Kentucky! Fortunately for this situation the LJ came with 32" tires which gave us just enough length of wheel strap on the trailer to get everything buttoned down. Had they been much bigger I would have needed a little different solution to safely get it trailered back.

Once I was back home the first stop was at my folk's house since it was my mother's birthday and the wife and kids were already there. Everyone was anxious to see the new Jeep and my little boy was really excited because red is his favorite color (he told me many times when we bought the TJ that I got the wrong color).

IMG_4188.jpg

Needless to say they were both pretty excited! Seeing them smile and having my little boy tell me that I had to let him help with everything on this Jeep reminded me ultimately why I decided to get a Jeep in the first place; memories with them.

So now after really enjoying working on the TJ I get to start all over with our new baby. Fortunately almost all of the new parts taking up half the garage and kitchen table that were purchased for the TJ will now find a home on our LJ. In the following posts I'll outline my vision and goals for this build by focusing on these areas: Suspension, Mechanical, Interior and Exterior (I do reserve the right to add or delete names of areas at my discretion!)

Thank you to all of the members here who've taken the time to document their own builds, answer questions or offer words of encouragement to those going through the process. I've found a lot of inspiration and knowledge on these pages and look forward to hopefully paying it forward.

Wow, that looks amazing, congratulations! I really like the look with the lift & 32" tires. I know you probably plan changes, but it looks great as is. Are you putting the TJ up for sale?

Reactions: techster82
Before I dive in to my planned changes or questions on part selection for the LJ, I decided to make my first "modification". Having a vinyl cutter (my wife insists on calling it a Cricut for some reason) at home comes in handy.

IMG_4352.jpg

And not wanting to be accused of playing favorites I quickly added a second "mod".

IMG_4354.jpg

I'll admit, after spending months of reading threads and posts sometimes until my eyes would barely stay open, I've really enjoyed the contributions from these two (among many more!). While my budget or build plans may not exactly match theirs I've certainly tried to listen and draw knowledge or learn restraint from their wit and writings. I imagine they'd be two uncles I'd love to have.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks amazing, congratulations! I really like the look with the lift & 32" tires. I know you probably plan changes, but it looks great as is. Are you putting the TJ up for sale?

Thank you! Its not bad at all with the 2.5" lift and 32s but its not what I have in mind. The TJ will be going up for sale most likely this week. I'm still trying to get my kids to understand that we won't be keeping both........

Congrats! I’ve been eyeing up LJs too recently after some amazing looking ones in threads. Don’t think I will pull the trigger though and loving my TJ, so I’ll just live vicariously through you :D

Really diggin' that LJ! What did you end up paying for it, if you don't mind me asking?

Good choice on the Rubicon as well. I too tried to tell myself I didn't need a Rubicon when I got my first TJ, but I did all the math and realized that I'd be much better of getting a Rubicon, since it already had a lot of the upgrades I would want to do. The lockers alone make it worth it to me!

@mrblaine and @Jerry Bransford, did you catch those underhood decals? :risas3:

Really diggin' that LJ! What did you end up paying for it, if you don't mind me asking?

Good choice on the Rubicon as well. I too tried to tell myself I didn't need a Rubicon when I got my first TJ, but I did all the math and realized that I'd be much better of getting a Rubicon, since it already had a lot of the upgrades I would want to do. The lockers alone make it worth it to me!

I'm in to it as she sits for just shy of $17k before tax, title, license, travel etc. The LJs in good shape (and especially the Rubis) continue to demand premiums and from what I can tell may be appreciating. I really wish that wasn't the case but I jumped in and am ok with it.

Reactions: tomtaylz
I'm in to it as she sits for just shy of $17k before tax, title, license, travel etc. The LJs in good shape (and especially the Rubis) continue to demand premiums and from what I can tell may be appreciating. I really wish that wasn't the case but I jumped in and am ok with it.

Wow, you stole that think for 17k, bravo! Clean LJ Rubicons with lower miles (and little to no rust) are going sometimes for as much as 28k in stock form!

Currently the LJ has a 2.5" Skyjacker suspension lift installed with aftermarket fixed length lower control arms (front and rear). The wheels and tires are 32x11.50R15 Goodyear MTRs with Mickey Thompson simulated beadlocks.

One thing that kept my wife from getting on board with an LJ the first time around was that at stock height the proportions look a little, can I say, wonky? Not only from a cosmetic standpoint but also from a functional one I'm set on running 35" tires. My TJ which was purchased with a BDS lift already installed (3.5-4") currently has 34" tires (305/70R17) and I was getting ready to completely redo the suspension components on it. Now with us purchasing the LJ I'm going to be installing those components on it and keeping the TJ as is since it will be up for sale.

The system I'm planning to install is a Currie based 4" system and all of the parts listed below are already purchased and in my garage. I still have a few odds and ends to order and would love input from all of those folks much smarter than me who have been down this road before. If I have something that is not going to work together correctly please let me know! I won't be changing gear ratios or really addressing any axle upgrades at this time but that is something that I'm wanting to do in another stage. For now I want to make sure I have the suspension system worked out to accommodate the planned tire size (315/75R16 or 35x12.50R17).

Control Arms: Savvy Aluminum Fully Adjustable
Springs: Currie 4" Front and Rear
Shocks: Rancho 5000x
Front Sway Bar: Currie Anti-Rock
Rear Sway Bar: Stock (will need extended end links)
Front Track Bar: Metalcloak Adjustable
Rear Track Bar: JKS Adjustable with bracket
Steering: Currie Currectlync
Steering Stabilizer: Rubicon Express
Bumpstops: TBD

What am I missing at this point in regards to the suspenion changes? I'm also planning a Savvy 1.25" Body lift and tummy tuck at some point so if I need to address certain things now with that in mind I'm all ears.

Regarding wheels/tires, I currently have a set of almost new Nitto Ridge Grapplers sitting in the garage (35x12.50R17) that I purchased to possibly run on a set of JK Moab OEM wheels I found at a great price. In @ObiWanWebWheelr 's LJ build thread by @mrblaine he's running a set of the OEM wheels with spacers and what I believe are 315/70R17. It is mentioned in there that the backspacing is 5.2" on the OEM wheels but the ones I have look to be 6-6.25" of backspacing. That leaves me thinking that it would take a pretty big spacer to be able to run the Ridge Grapplers I have and not rub on suspension components or have clearance issues.

If that is the case then my two options are to find aftermarket 17" wheels with the proper backspacing to run the 35x12.50R17 tires or purchase 315/75R16 tires and a set of aftermarket 16" wheels with the proper backspacing or pick up a set of the TJ Moab 16" wheels if they will be compatible. I've always loved the factory 16" Moab wheel but don't want to get a set if the backspacing on them will also leave me with clearance issues. Either way the set of Ridge Grapplers I have will be used as they can be put on my wife's JL Rubicon once it gets delivered.

Last edited:

Oh sheesh. I need a WWBD like that under my hood.

Reactions: Chris
Nice LJR, congrats! My wife has a Cricut, never considered making decals with it. Gonna have to look into it :D

I had a job years ago where we had a large commercial vinyl plotter that was used for decals and lettering on vehicles (think business names, phone numbers etc). We also did small custom jobs for customers who wanted one-off decals for vehicles. Getting to play with it and make my own decals at that time made me very comfortable with the process as well as proper application techniques.

I had a need not long ago to make some vinyl signage for some of my businesses (store hours, door lettering etc) and instead of paying someone to do it for me again I looked in to the Cricut machines. They've come a long way and the new Explore Air (and Air 2) models are essentially mini vinyl plotters that work very well for small jobs. The limiting factor versus what I used years ago only seems to be the size of the job I can do (the Cricut is only a 12" wide plotter but you can get a 12"x24" mat that would allow for a longer width cut). The software is all web based and I've found it works perfect for small jobs when it comes to work or Jeep decals.

Only thing I can think of to add would be a double cardan rear drive shaft so you can dial in your pinion in case you get vibes after the lift. You'll need it for the TT anyway.

Only thing I can think of to add would be a double cardan rear drive shaft so you can dial in your pinion in case you get vibes after the lift. You'll need it for the TT anyway.

Thanks for mentioning that. I have it on my spreadsheet but forgot to ask anything about it when I posted last night. I was going to wait to install the body lift and motor mount lift until a little bit down the road but maybe I'd be better off going ahead and doing them at the same time the suspension components are being changed? That way we only have to dial in the pinion angle one time right? I'd probably wait on the skids plates and actually "Tummy Tuck" components until the pocketbook recovers but going ahead and doing the body lift/motor mount/driveshaft upgrade right now is probably feasible.

Thanks for mentioning that. I have it on my spreadsheet but forgot to ask anything about it when I posted last night. I was going to wait to install the body lift and motor mount lift until a little bit down the road but maybe I'd be better off going ahead and doing them at the same time the suspension components are being changed? That way we only have to dial in the pinion angle one time right? I'd probably wait on the skids plates and actually "Tummy Tuck" components until the pocketbook recovers but going ahead and doing the body lift/motor mount/driveshaft upgrade right now is probably feasible.

Well, if the TT is down the road, You'd probably be fine with the MML/BL to reduce vibes. It's an LJ, so you have a longer rear drive shaft, which helps.

Before I dive in to my planned changes or questions on part selection for the LJ, I decided to make my first "modification". Having a vinyl cutter (my wife insists on calling it a Cricut for some reason) at home comes in handy.

View attachment 40123

And not wanting to be accused of playing favorites I quickly added a second "mod".

View attachment 40124

I'll admit, after spending months of reading threads and posts sometimes until my eyes would barely stay open, I've really enjoyed the contributions from these two (among many more!). While my budget or build plans may not exactly match theirs I've certainly tried to listen and draw knowledge or learn restraint from their wit and writings. I imagine they'd be two uncles I'd love to have.
Forget the decals, I've never seen a hood that clean on the inside. Ever. :eek:

So I'm stressed out on a wheel/tire choice......

After seeing another LJ build thread that was running a set of the 17" JK Moab style rims I picked up a set of five in decent shape for $100. I also grabbed a near new set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.50R17 that I planned to pair with these rims. My plan was to paint the wheels a graphite color and run adapters since the bolt pattern is 5x5. After investigating further I realized that the backspacing on the JK wheels I have is 6-6.25" instead of the 5.2" I thought it would be. Having an idea of the backspacing needed on the LJ it seems I'd have to run one hell of a spacer to make these work. So that leaves me back at square one and I'm not sure what direction to go in. The options that I've kind of put on the table are the following:

1. Find a set of 17" wheels with the hub pattern and backspacing that will work on the LJ (or worst case use a small 1/2" spacer or so) and use the 35x12.50 Ridge Grapplers I already have.

2. Find a set of 17" wheels and use adapters to convert the hub pattern as well as backspacing and use the Ridge Grapplers.

3. Find a set of 16" OEM Moab wheels and purchase new 315/75R16 tires (will a spacer still be needed for backspacing?)

4. Purchase a set of 16" Mammoth Boulder wheels and purchase new 315/75R16 tires.

I'm having a hard time finding 17" wheels that have a backspacing that would seem to work on the LJ. The Fuel Trophy wheels caught my eye as they come in the correct bolt pattern and with a 4.5" backspacing.

If I don't end up using the JK wheels I'll just resale them and if I don't use the Ridge Grapplers I'll be able to put them on my wife's JL when it gets delivered. If I purchase new tires I'm eyeing the Dick Cepek Extreme Country's in 315/75R16 (great price for a set of 5), the Cooper STT Pros, Wrangler Duratracs or another similar tire based on recommendations and pricing. (I've run KO2s, KM2s, Trail Grapplers etc but don't have a "must have" tire at this point).

So, from the hive collective, what options do you think realistically would work for my build?