Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Fan clutch or coolant flush first?

red02tj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for some advice on which todo first to fix my high temps on my 02 (35k, original radiator). As long as I’m moving, OBDII shows ~210, when I idle, temps will creep up to ~235. Coolant was replaced last October.

Should I replace the fan clutch or do a full coolant flush first?

FWIW Is still in the 90s in GA.

Thanks

freedom_in_4low

Sacred Order of the Coil Spring
Supporting Member
If it's only sitting still that it gets warm, I'd 100% do the fan clutch first. It's cheap and it's quicker to do, and since the problem is occurring specifically when the fan is in play, it's a reasonably likely culprit.

I've personally never had a coolant flush actually make one iota of difference in cooling system performance. Not that I think they don't work because I work in heat transfer so I know the impact of heat exchanger fouling... I just think that I haven't done one on a vehicle that was really in dire need of one.

Reactions: -T. and red02tj

TexasTJ2004

I love my TJ
Supporting Member
I am dealing with my overheat issues, which were also temperature going high in idle only, not when I drive. When I was in idle with ac on, it would start to creep north of 210 very fast. Fan clutch is new (Hayden 2771), thermostat is Mopar new, radiator is autozone crap.
I flushed (blue devil and 2 rounds of thermocure) with full engine block drain plug and it did improve.
However,
Then I found that my water pump is leaking, and now replacing a water pump.
Also, I found that heater core is leaking, so I bypassed it.