Fan removal after body lift

schabj3

Rough Country body lift is having me remove fan, power steering reservoir, and fan shroud. I can’t get the four bolts off to remove the fan. Any advice?

Fan does appear to be touching the bottom so believe an adjustment is necessary.

Also, should I be removing the bolts closer to the front of the Jeep or further away? I removed the fan itself but think I removed the wrong bolts.

Pictures help, but to pull the fan off, generally, it's easier to remove it at the fan clutch (big nut attached to the water pump).

Pictures help, but to pull the fan off, generally, it's easier to remove it at the fan clutch (big nut attached to the water pump).
I took the four red ones off but think I was supposed to take the four blue ones off.

0682F141-A5F5-4B05-9592-1D250CA75D33.jpeg

Use a large crescent wrench and try this

I'm confused. Why are you talking all that off? When I installed my BL I was able to lower the shroud by taking the 4 shroud bolts out, spin the shroud so you can drill new holes in it at the right spot and then reattach the shroud.

Reactions: Ken Perkins
I'm confused. Why are you talking all that off? When I installed my BL I was able to lower the shroud by taking the 4 shroud bolts out, spin the shroud so you can drill new holes in it at the right spot and then reattach the shroud.
Great question. I have no idea.

I got the shroud unbolted but I can’t remove it. Fan is in the way.

no need to remove the fan, just leave the shroud un-bolted and in place. Re-drill the shroud holes after you've raised the body, you're done!
Broke the fan shroud cutting out the piece at the bottom to accommodate the radiator hose. Supposed to cut a C shape into the middle and my cut went all the way through. Four bolts are in place but the shroud is hanging a bit in the middle. Fan might hit it. Any solutions? Duct tape!?!?

Broke the fan shroud cutting out the piece at the bottom to accommodate the radiator hose. Supposed to cut a C shape into the middle and my cut went all the way through. Four bolts are in place but the shroud is hanging a bit in the middle. Fan might hit it. Any solutions? Duct tape!?!?
Stop. What is going on here? How tall is the RC body lift?

• Haha
Reactions: Jamesval035
Stop. What is going on here? How tall is the RC body lift?
1.25 inches. Fan was sitting on shroud after the pucks were put between body and frame. Instructions say fan shroud needs to be repositioned to account for the height change. Instructions only say remove fan bolts, remove coolant hose, and remove shroud.

Others recommended removing the fan bolt but I didn’t do that. So I did everything with the shroud unbolted, just couldn’t remove it from the TJ because the fan was still in the way. Instructions also say you may need to cut out a portion of the shroud at the bottom driver side because the coolant hose is in the way.

RC instructions attached.

7B6C1271-06B2-4C19-9A29-02921FFAF387.jpeg

Ok, 1.25" is normal body lift height. At this point you've broken the shroud, purportedly at the bottom when trying to trim it to clear the coolant hose. Somehow fix that or buy a new shroud, in which case you'd have to remove the fan so you can get the new shroud on. If you can fix it then all you need to do is described in post #11. It's much easier than removing all that other stuff.

EDIT: JBWeld makes a product that bonds to plastic that would fix it. See your local auto parts store.

Ok, 1.25" is normal body lift height. At this point you've broken the shroud, purportedly at the bottom when trying to trim it to clear the coolant hose. Somehow fix that or buy a new shroud, in which case you'd have to remove the fan so you can get the new shroud on. If you can fix it then all you need to do is described in post #11. It's much easier than removing all that other stuff.
Dumb question but what is the purpose of a fan shroud? No major off-roading planned. Does one even need it?