Fan shroud adjustment after tummy tuck

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
Has anyone had to adjust their fan shroud downwards after a tummy tuck? With a 1" MML, of course. @mrblaine have you seen issues with the fan shroud after a Savvy under armor install?

My fan ripped up my fan shroud. I didn't know until today when I got a shop to rebuild my exhaust from the Y pipe to the back. I've had the exhaust out since I put the crossmember in. I guess the exhaust was so loud that I didn't hear the fan hitting the shroud. I didn't even think to check fan clearance after I raised the transfer case to install the crossmember! 🤦‍♂️ I've never seen anyone mention anything about this in all the reading I did about tummy tucks, though - only adjusting it upwards for a MML install.

To be specific, I have M.O.R.E. 1" lifted motor mounts and a Savvy 1.25" body lift.

• Sad
Reactions: D M
Has anyone had to adjust their fan shroud downwards after a tummy tuck? With a 1" MML, of course. @mrblaine have you seen issues with the fan shroud after a Savvy under armor install?

My fan ripped up my fan shroud. I didn't know until today when I got a shop to rebuild my exhaust from the Y pipe to the back. I've had the exhaust out since I put the crossmember in. I guess the exhaust was so loud that I didn't hear the fan hitting the shroud. I didn't even think to check fan clearance after I raised the transfer case to install the crossmember! 🤦‍♂️ I've never seen anyone mention anything about this in all the reading I did about tummy tucks, though - only adjusting it upwards for a MML install.

To be specific, I have M.O.R.E. 1" lifted motor mounts and a Savvy 1.25" body lift.
Sorry to hear, I had to slightly adjust mine when jacking the transmission back up into the body. FWIW i went with the JKS 1" mml spacer, Savvy 1.25" BL, and UCF highest clearance tuck

Usually requires re-drilling the holes a bit.

Last edited:
Huh. Well I guess I didn't do my homework well enough.

Sidenote about the exhaust shop. I learned a really hard and really expensive lesson today. "stop paying people to fuck your shit up." I assumed that, because I didn't have the tools or know-how to mess with exhaust, it was one of those things I should "leave to the professionals". Well, the professionals fucked my shit up. For the price I paid for the exhaust work, I could've bought a welding machine and gotten results much closer to what I wanted done, and started a new skill in the process. I'll add pictures later, but I'm not happy at all with the exhaust work. Mark my words, last time I ever drop this TJ off at a shop.

200.gif

• Sad
Reactions: JMT and Irun

We always adjust the shroud to clear the fan.

Reactions: rasband and D M

Sidenote about the exhaust shop. I learned a really hard and really expensive lesson today. "stop paying people to fuck your shit up." I assumed that, because I didn't have the tools or know-how to mess with exhaust, it was one of those things I should "leave to the professionals". Well, the professionals fucked my shit up. For the price I paid for the exhaust work, I could've bought a welding machine and gotten results much closer to what I wanted done, and started a new skill in the process. I'll add pictures later, but I'm not happy at all with the exhaust work. Mark my words, last time I ever drop this TJ off at a shop.

View attachment 243350
Sorry to hear that. I was bummed at the exhaust work I had done post tt also!

Reactions: Tob
Keep in mind that the MML is only part of the equation. As is generally the case, one thing impacts another. As you bring the transmission and transfer case up for the TT, the nose of the engine goes down. This results in the fan hitting the bottom of the shroud. The more you go up on the tail end, the worse the problem gets on the front end.

That said, it's an easy fix. Also, if you haven't replaced the fan clutch, now's the time to do it. You have to remove the shroud to cut some adjustment slots, which means taking off the fan clutch. (y)

View attachment 243350
I despise exhaust work. I am not good at it, it is not a skillset I possess. Every aspect of it is a struggle. Yet, I do more and more of it because all the local exhaust shops make me look like a highly skilled exhaust system genius and they charge way too much for stuff I always have to have them fix.

Yeah, I didn’t know either, until I went over to the trail and overheated fairly quickly. After pondering for 10 minutes I came up with a trail fix and haven’t looked back. The TT raises the TCase and tranny. the hinge is the motor mount. This causes the front of the engine to nose dive.

Last edited:
I despise exhaust work. I am not good at it, it is not a skillset I possess. Every aspect of it is a struggle. Yet, I do more and more of it because all the local exhaust shops make me look like a highly skilled exhaust system genius and they charge way too much for stuff I always have to have them fix.
I know you sent mine out for exhaust work, and I never really said anything about it, but, "My exhaust Rocks". I'm very satisfied with it. Didn't know what to expect for sound, but sounds better! You chose/did very well, as far as I'm concerned!

Keep in mind that the MML is only part of the equation. As is generally the case, one thing impacts another. As you bring the transmission and transfer case up for the TT, the nose of the engine goes down. This results in the fan hitting the bottom of the shroud. The more you go up on the tail end, the worse the problem gets on the front end.

That said, it's an easy fix. Also, if you haven't replaced the fan clutch, now's the time to do it. You have to remove the shroud to cut some adjustment slots, which means taking off the fan clutch. (y)
Got it I installed an sye also I think I’m ready ,I just don’t know much about which one to buy