Fan shroud issue

ARawls88

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What is considered minimum clearance between the shroud and fan blade? I can barely get a finger between the fan and shroud on bottom. I’ve moved the shroud down far as I could and now it’s on top of the bottom radiator hose. Specs on the jeep real quick, savvy 1.25” BL, JKS 1” MML and UCF extra clearance skid.

It’s right at 1/2”. Little close for my liking but there’s nothing else I know to do.

I’ve got a UCF no-body lift skid, but no BL or MML. My fan was hitting the bottom of the shroud. I ovaled the mounting holes to cheat it down a bit, have about 1/2” like you do.

This was about 5 months ago and it’s been fine since. No contact at all. I think you should be ok.

Reactions: ARawls88
I’ve got a UCF no-body lift skid, but no BL or MML (Motor Mount Lift). My fan was hitting the bottom of the shroud. I ovaled the mounting holes to cheat it down a bit, have about 1/2” like you do.

This was about 5 months ago and it’s been fine since. No contact at all. I think you should be ok.
I trimmed mine. Probably not the smartest thing 😳

I have a 1" MML, 1.25" BL, UCF uhc skid and my shroud is as low as the lower hose allows. Its not much more than a 1/2" clearance on the bottom but its enough.

I recently did the motor mount lift so I was able to put the radiator and shroud back where they go.
I could trade you my clearanced shroud for your unmolested one.

I trimmed mine. Probably not the smartest thing 😳
Mine was trimmed around the lower hose at one time during it's life.

I recently did the motor mount lift so I was able to put the radiator and shroud back where they go.
I could trade you my clearanced shroud for your unmolested one.

Mine was trimmed around the lower hose at one time during it's life.
That’s what I’m not understanding. I done the motor mount lift also, just curious is lifting the skid caused the motor to tilt back down.

That’s what I’m not understanding. I done the motor mount lift also, just curious is lifting the skid caused the motor to tilt back down.
Yes, if you mean lifting the skid as in tummy tuck or removal of spacers, the front of the engine would then point back down a little.

Yes, if you mean lifting the skid as in tummy tuck or removal of spacers, the front of the engine would then point back down a little.
Yes tummy tuck. I’ll run it for a bit and see if I get any contact.

That’s exactly what happened to my cooling fan/radiator shroud lower fan clearance. I’m still trying to dial it in for proper spacing - either oval mount holes upward to allow for it to be pushed down or spacers at the fan bolts with longer bolts (or both).

I refreshed my transmission mount and that was enough to change the angle of the dangle and introduced an awful racket. I couldn't move the holes (there is a ridge in the plastic) so I just used a zip tie to drop it down. I'm swapping out my grille soon so I'll fix it proper then.

Reactions: Jeep 541X