Favorite movies?

I have too many to list but a few that I don't think have been mentioned

The Proposition (Austrailian Western)
Gran Torino (my fave Clint Eastwood directed one)
John Wick trilogy (Utterly silly but wonderful. if you are knowledgable about guns you might hate it, but just accept the point is the absurdity)
The Founder (about the guy who created the McDonalds franchise)
Moon Scifi

Frodo was miscast but Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was nearly perfect...
I didn't have a problem with Frodo, and I thought LOTR was very well done overall. I can understand why they had to combine a couple of the elvish characters and skip Tom Bombadil altogether - BUT - I do not get why Faramir drug Frodo and Sam all the hell way to Osgilliath. What the HELL did that accomplish and it was so far from canon as to be ridiculous! They would have been better off to have used that time to incorporate Bombadil! But fantastic otherwise.

In a completely different vein, a movie I found myself liking despite myself was "Battleship". Stupid plot, overdone FX, but very heartwarming when the old guys helped the young protagonist get the Mighty Mo going again!

my go-to comedies are Dumb n Dumber, Joe Dirt, Zoolander, Tropic Thunder, Step Brothers, and a little ashamedly, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

I grew up in a Star Wars family and Empire Strikes Back was peak Star Wars. If you disagree you can fight me.

Frodo was miscast but Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was nearly perfect. The Hobbit was crap.

Almost anything by Christopher Nolan. Inception and Interstellar are my favorites, and the Dark Knight trilogy will always be my favorite superhero movies. Really looking forward to Tenet and I'm glad they're holding out and not sending it straight to VOD. The theater experience is critical to his movies if you don't have a projector room with an Atmos setup in your house.

Apollo 13, The Martian and Castaway. One (or 3) men escaping almost certain death through ingenuity and will.

Forest Gump meeting his son and asking if he was smart made the whole movie for me.

I really liked Contagion for how seemingly realistic it was. I wish they made more apocalyptic movies like that instead of the ridiculous crap like 2012 and Day After Tomorrow. The world really needs a realistic disaster film about a coronal mass ejection.

and lastly, though I was never into comic books as a kid, I really like the MCU. There are definitely some that are so-so and don't really add much to the story (Iron Man 3, Captain Marvel, Thor 2 except it starts to introduce the centerpiece of the main story that develops later on) but Civil War-Ragnarok-Infinity War-Endgame really brought it together and wrapped it in a better way than I could have ever come up with myself.
I too enjoyed the MCU as a whole. Pretty cool how many things they had to pull together in unison and the job they did with it.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I didn't have a problem with Frodo, and I thought LOTR was very well done overall. I can understand why they had to combine a couple of the elvish characters and skip Tom Bombadil altogether - BUT - I do not get why Faramir drug Frodo and Sam all the hell way to Osgilliath. What the HELL did that accomplish and it was so far from canon as to be ridiculous! They would have been better off to have used that time to incorporate Bombadil! But fantastic otherwise.

I didn't like an actor who looks 14 playing a guy that was 33 when he got the ring (and around 50 when they left the shire). And while Frodo should have continued to look 33 for the 17 years he waited for Gandalf to come back, his friends should have aged during that time.

Also, casting Elijah Wood overplayed the innocence of the hobbits and underplayed their hardiness. He's not hardy, he's a wimp and he's been a wimp in every role he's ever played. It undermined the evilness and the weight of the ring, because when I see Elijah Wood struggling at something, I don't think "oh, that must be really difficult", I think "yeah, well, look at him". I'm not suggesting they should have used somebody like Tom Hardy, just that somebody with a few lines on his face and some callouses on his hands might have conveyed the effort a bit better. Martin Freeman (who played Bilbo in the Hobbit) could have played a great Frodo, and even though I didn't like The Hobbit as much, I did think he made a great halfling, and was 30 when The Fellowship released.

Hm, i dont have a favorite one per se, but my top list:

Interstellar
V for Vendetta
A clockwork Orange ( love all of Kubrick’s works)
Contact
Coming to America
Night of the Living Dead( B&W one, i even had a special edition that they made it color)

A lot of great movies mentioned and I like so many of them. One I haven't seen mentioned that I have watched more than once is: Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. Great movie that treats the native Americans fairly sympatetically.

Another one that is kind of obscure, but in my opinion Bill Murray's greatest film is: A Razor's Edge.

It's a dramatic film about some gilded age wealthy young who end up coming of age in Europe during WWI and the post WWI years. A fantastic and thought provoking film.

I also liked Slum Dog Millionaire. Another thought provoking film.

I like a good swashbuckling movie or sci-fi adventure, but films that make you think and question things are some of my favorites.
Am quite 'jaded' as far as movies go:
Really tired of special effects used as a substitute for plot. Happens all the time. Shooter holding a pistol sideways - wtf! Sparks flying off of bullets hitting things - steel jacket bullets? Again, wtf!
Endless stupid car chases - wtf!
Actors talking using their 'monster truck voices' - wtf!
You get my drift . . . .
Good acting in a movie with a plot . . . . too much to ask for?
I could not agree more with both of you. I'm tired of the Hollywood movies that are so routine and predictable that you can figure out most of what's going to happen within the first twenty minutes. My wife hates watching movies with me, because I frequently "call it". It's for that reason that I like a lot of "Indie films" that I stumble across. They seem more interested in the the story and the art of the film than in selling tickets.

Some big films that I thoroughly enjoyed, however, are "Everything Is Illuminated", "Reign Over Me", and "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being".

Vintage films: "On The Beach", "Fail Safe", "Twelve Angry Men", and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?". Oh, and "It's A Wonderful Life". :)

Reactions: Head Lice
Open range is up there for me too. I think Kevin Costner plays a good cowboy. And Robert Duvall is good in whatever role he is given. Others include Gone in 60 seconds, Vanishing Point, Warrior (2011), Cinderella Man, Boondock Saints, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Den of Thieves.

I could not agree more with both of you. I'm tired of the Hollywood movies that are so routine and predictable that you can figure out most of what's going to happen within the first twenty minutes. My wife hates watching movies with me, because I frequently "call it". It's for that reason that I like a lot of "Indie films" that I stumble across. They seem more interested in the the story and the art of the film than in selling tickets.

Some big films that I thoroughly enjoyed, however, are "Everything Is Illuminated", "Reign Over Me", and "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being".

Vintage films: "On The Beach", "Fail Safe", "Twelve Angry Men", and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?". Oh, and "It's A Wonderful Life". :)

I've started paying attention during the trailers to how many are even attempting to be an original story. Almost all of them are sequels, prequels, reboots, or adaptations, and the ones that aren't are often a re-skinned version of a story that's already been told, or are a 2 hour CGI shot that don't have a story at all.

That's why Christopher Nolan is the only name that's guaranteed to get me into a theater.

Crom is not happy that Conan has not been mentioned! I love the music from Conan, same guy did music for The Hunt for Red October another good movie.

Cannon Ball Run

Strange Brew, take off eh.