Favorite movies?

Still haven't seen it. You'd think that with all the positive reviews of that movie, I would have by now, but nope...not yet.
...it will change your life...if you're ever down in Mississippi let me know. I'll have the wife put on a fresh pot of squirrel and dumplins, i'll take a bath, and I'll fix you a seat next to ole Chief(our bloodhound), he generally has the best view of the TV. Southern hospitality and a night at the movies, you may never go back to Washington! 😉

A lot of great movies mentioned and I like so many of them. One I haven't seen mentioned that I have watched more than once is: Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. Great movie that treats the native Americans fairly sympatetically.

Another one that is kind of obscure, but in my opinion Bill Murray's greatest film is: A Razor's Edge.

It's a dramatic film about some gilded age wealthy young who end up coming of age in Europe during WWI and the post WWI years. A fantastic and thought provoking film.

I also liked Slum Dog Millionaire. Another thought provoking film.

I like a good swashbuckling movie or sci-fi adventure, but films that make you think and question things are some of my favorites.

Reactions: Squatch
Am quite 'jaded' as far as movies go:
Really tired of special effects used as a substitute for plot. Happens all the time. Shooter holding a pistol sideways - wtf! Sparks flying off of bullets hitting things - steel jacket bullets? Again, wtf!
Endless stupid car chases - wtf!
Actors talking using their 'monster truck voices' - wtf!
You get my drift . . . .
Good acting in a movie with a plot . . . . too much to ask for?

Reactions: Squatch
Am quite 'jaded' as far as movies go:
Really tired of special effects used as a substitute for plot. Happens all the time. Shooter holding a pistol sideways - wtf! Sparks flying off of bullets hitting things - steel jacket bullets? Again, wtf!
Endless stupid car chases - wtf!
Actors talking using their 'monster truck voices' - wtf!
You get my drift . . . .
Good acting in a movie with a plot . . . . too much to ask for?
Way of the gun did it well

Reactions: BigWheel88
my go-to comedies are Dumb n Dumber, Joe Dirt, Zoolander, Tropic Thunder, Step Brothers, and a little ashamedly, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

I grew up in a Star Wars family and Empire Strikes Back was peak Star Wars. If you disagree you can fight me. Around 2010 I spent about $250 on eBay for the 2003 Special Edition trilogy box set because the "bonus features" that came with it were the unmolested theatrical releases. It's in Dolby 2.0 and the image quality sucks but so help me God, Han shot first, it isn't a musical, and Jabba didn't gain 5000 pounds and lose the ability to slither between Episodes 4 and 6. I'll watch Empire in the Special Edition format because they didn't really mess with much beyond the audio and image remastering.

Frodo was miscast but Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was nearly perfect. The Hobbit was crap.

Almost anything by Christopher Nolan. Inception and Interstellar are my favorites, and the Dark Knight trilogy will always be my favorite superhero movies. Really looking forward to Tenet and I'm glad they're holding out and not sending it straight to VOD. The theater experience is critical to his movies if you don't have a projector room with an Atmos setup in your house.

Apollo 13, The Martian and Castaway. One (or 3) men escaping almost certain death through ingenuity and will.

Forest Gump meeting his son and asking if he was smart made the whole movie for me.

I really liked Contagion for how seemingly realistic it was. I wish they made more apocalyptic movies like that instead of the ridiculous crap like 2012 and Day After Tomorrow. The world really needs a realistic disaster film about a coronal mass ejection.

and lastly, though I was never into comic books as a kid, I really like the MCU. There are definitely some that are so-so and don't really add much to the story (Iron Man 3, Captain Marvel, Thor 2 except it starts to introduce the centerpiece of the main story that develops later on) but Civil War-Ragnarok-Infinity War-Endgame really brought it together and wrapped it in a better way than I could have ever come up with myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba