Favorite Nutsert / Rivnut Tool?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm shopping for a rivnut/nutsert tool. Anyone have any favorites? And any advice on what size mandrels I should be sure my kit includes?

Hi all,

I'm shopping for a rivnut/nutsert tool. Anyone have any favorites? And any advice on what size mandrels I should be sure my kit includes?
Favorite will likely depend on the size of nutserts you plan on using. I don't like the big lever handles for 1/4" and smaller and the plier type are not good for 5/16" and larger.

What size are you planning on setting?

Build your own.
3/16s steel plate drilled a hole through it to fit the bolt that fits your nutserts. Use a flat washer between bolt and flat steel.

Take drill driver and fasten bolt with nutserts on it in the place where nutsert goes until the nutsert collapses and is right.

Build your own.
3/16s steel plate drilled a hole through it to fit the bolt that fits your nutserts. Use a flat washer between bolt and flat steel.

Take drill driver and fasten bolt with nutserts on it in the place where nutsert goes until the nutsert collapses and is right.
That works for one or two. After that it gets tedious and tiresome. At least get one of the AVK hand tools, they are not quite as tedious since they have a knurled surface that grips the nutsert flange.

That works for one or two. After that it gets tedious and tiresome. At least get one of the AVK hand tools, they are not quite as tedious since they have a knurled surface that grips the nutsert flange.

Not tedious at all. Use a impact to fasten the bolt down on every nutsert don’t use a wrench.

Favorite will likely depend on the size of nutserts you plan on using. I don't like the big lever handles for 1/4" and smaller and the plier type are not good for 5/16" and larger.

What size are you planning on setting?

Thanks. The small ones for fender flares, all the way up to the larger ones for side-steps. But mostly on the smaller side.

It's a good point about different styles working for different sizes. I used a basic plier-style one for the side steps, and they broke on me.

Build your own.

Thanks. I suppose I could take that approach. I've been frustrated by trying to mess with these using my own tricks, so decided I might just go ahead and get a good tool. But yours does sound like a better trick.

Thanks. The small ones for fender flares, all the way up to the larger ones for side-steps. But mostly on the smaller side.

It's a good point about different styles working for different sizes. I used a basic plier-style one for the side steps, and they broke on me.
Frame nutserts for steps are 8mm so the same as 5/16" which also means you can use 5/16" nutserts in the holes. That is way too much for the plier type.

I am a big fan of nutserts. I use them in many of my projects. I have a variety of tools including chunks of steel with lock washers, hand operate lever tools, but my favorite when it will fit in the confines of a project is this

Astro Pneumatic Tool ADN38 XL Rivet Nut Drill Adapter Kit - 3/8" Capacity​

61Tt8-5yRZL._AC_SX679_.jpg

and this Astro Pneumatic Tool 9456 Rivet Nut Hog - Stepped Installation & Removal Bit

61hYreax0bL._AC_SY879_.jpg

I am a big fan of nutserts. I use them in many of my projects. I have a variety of tools including chunks of steel with lock washers, hand operate lever tools, but my favorite when it will fit in the confines of a project is this

Astro Pneumatic Tool ADN38 XL Rivet Nut Drill Adapter Kit - 3/8" Capacity​

View attachment 324907

and this Astro Pneumatic Tool 9456 Rivet Nut Hog - Stepped Installation & Removal Bit

View attachment 324908
I hate that piece of shit with a passion. We've broken ours so many times that now we only use it on 1/4" or smaller nutserts, only with a 1/4" hand ratchet, and only when it is convenient. I still use it and won't get rid of it but what a great idea with very shitty execution.

I've only used one tool, but it's nice and compact, easy enough for a few rivet nuts here and there, I don't use them a lot yet and it's worked everytime so far

It's the smaller C845/C722 hand tool towards the bottom of the page. Also got my rivet nuts from them, they were very helpful and got me sorted out with some hex bodied nuts to fit in the hexagonal holes I make with my hole punch.

https://www.rivetnutusa.com/install-tools-rivnut-rivet-nut/

Small ones I like the Goodrich pullers $125 per size for new, not for everyone but nice for rapid manual install.

3BB8C3AC-401B-422B-9420-F95C6CABC50A.jpeg

I have a AVK kit that I purchased several years ago that has served me well, it has the T handle installation tool and mandrels that cover from 4-40 to 5/16 x24nc. I have purchased some metric sizes as I need them.