Favorite rock rails / steps and why? (for a 2006 TJ)

I appreciate all the positive responses and replies on here. Haven’t quite made a decision yet but will post when I do.... what I have learned is that rock rails are a very touchy subject, and I should have opened with something lighter like everyone’s political stances... lesson learned.
The amount of butthurt is directly related to the understanding of how things work. The more you understand, the less your butt hurts when someone points out the obvious.

The gasket is only about 1-1.5" tall. Unless I'm missing something.

View attachment 122962

Just throwing this in there for consideration, not trying to say it's ineffective ;)

The rubber gasket that came with the Rubicon rockers that I bought was the full height of the rockers, as were the gaskets that came with the MOPAR rock rails that replaces the Rubicon rockers.

The amount of butthurt is directly related to the understanding of how things work. The more you understand, the less your butt hurts when someone points out the obvious.
I said I would stay out of this, and I will, as far as why I use them. I don't need to defend that.

As far as I know, no one was "butt hurt", but I can only speak for myself. I didn't detect anyone else was. Now, you stated they were complete pieces of shit, but I don't recall you saying why, and exactly what problems their mounting can create exactly. I'd like to know your thoughts as to what scenario would cause what problem.

Reactions: mots
I said I would stay out of this, and I will, as far as why I use them. I don't need to defend that.

As far as I know, no one was "butt hurt", but I can only speak for myself. I didn't detect anyone else was. Now, you stated they were complete pieces of shit, but I don't recall you saying why, and exactly what problems their mounting can create exactly. I'd like to know your thoughts as to what scenario would cause what problem.
Go read again. I did not say your steps were pieces of shit.

OK, lets say shitty as rock rails. If they were to be used in that manner, what problems specifically do you see happening?
They will flex up into the tub and cause the damage you are trying to prevent. And there is a distinct possibility that they will pull or damage the threaded holes in the torque box for the body mount bolts. The leverage is insane, not in favor of the body mount bolt, and wholly in favor of the step. I have removed several sets of them after I had the owners watch while I hopped on them and they flexed. I only noticed it because I watched the owner get in and the step flexed. He planned on wheeling in the rocks a bit, nothing major and after he saw the movement, he opted for a real set of rock rails in favor of his steps.

My phrasing was calculated and precise. Steps are not the same function as rails. If you want rails and intend to use them as such, do not use that bullshit mounting system.

Bear in mind that there are vast differences in dynamic versus static forces. Drop a tire off a rock and land on that step and you will regret it. If you are never going to do that, enjoy your step no harm, no foul.

Reactions: MikeE024 and mots
Also problem rust areas.
That’s true. I won’t deny it. But there are other issues when you separate metal from metal with some kind of welting.

You are the one that posted the difference in applicability between 175 and 300 pounds, not me. Believe what you like, that is a shit design, it has been a shit design, and it will always be a shit design. That and don't always believe that just because folks don't post up about problems that they don't exist. Poison Spyder has the shittiest rock rail design and mounting system out there and folks wet all over themselves to buy and install it.
300 lbs is the max weight limit per the vendor. I myself am 175 lbs, which is well under their posted limit. I intended nothing more than to state these facts, so let’s not twist this into something else. The body armor product works great for me as a “step product“ and for minimal protection against things coming up and hitting the tub (shopping carts, car doors etc.). I have no delusions about their value as a true rock rail product, as I already stated in this thread.

Thanks for your opinion, I can tell you are very passionate about what you do. It is very clear that you hate this mouthing system, and it has been duly noted!

Last edited:
Reactions: TProvines
They will flex up into the tub and cause the damage you are trying to prevent. And there is a distinct possibility that they will pull or damage the threaded holes in the torque box for the body mount bolts. The leverage is insane, not in favor of the body mount bolt, and wholly in favor of the step. I have removed several sets of them after I had the owners watch while I hopped on them and they flexed. I only noticed it because I watched the owner get in and the step flexed. He planned on wheeling in the rocks a bit, nothing major and after he saw the movement, he opted for a real set of rock rails in favor of his steps.

My phrasing was calculated and precise. Steps are not the same function as rails. If you want rails and intend to use them as such, do not use that bullshit mounting system.

Bear in mind that there are vast differences in dynamic versus static forces. Drop a tire off a rock and land on that step and you will regret it. If you are never going to do that, enjoy your step no harm, no foul.
This is exactly what I was looking for from you.

I don't see any specs that list a 300 pound limit. Maybe the manufacturer said that, but I don't see it listed anywhere. I'd be surprised if it was that low.

You could have led with that. Would have stopped a whole bunch of crap. 300 in the overall scheme of tagging things with a rail is miniscule.
I don't see any specs that list a 300 pound limit. Maybe the manufacturer said that, but I don't see it listed anywhere. I'd be surprised if it was that low.
Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I was talking about the popular nerf bars (Quadratec etc.) that are mounted in the same way:

“The ugly nerf bars that most hate are rated at 300 lbs per side, and these hang out further\lower as compared to the body armor flush mount steps that were posted.”

Here is a quick pic for those that may not understand or visualize what is being discussed. This is a picture of how the Body Armor product is mounted (as well as other "step only" products like cheap nerf bars etc.). It shows how they are a capable product as steps and/or looks, but are not a capable or recommend product as actual rock sliders. While I would very much not recommend it, I have seen folks use a high lift jack on these things! Makes me wince every time and well demonstrates the type of flex @mrblaine is advising against that can damage the tub etc.

1572808201185.png

Reactions: Dustoffdax
Most useful point on here is the 4x Innovations video. Not that the written text isn't valuable, but jump to about 17' into the video where they show the frame mount. Those particular sliders are mounted directly to the frame. They dropped the truck from 18" onto a rock. Sliders are in pretty good shape, but really close to the body. Why? Because the frame buckled inward.

Depending on your use care, this might be acceptable - if you were, like me, looking for something to make it easier to get into the car while also providing some additional side impact protection so the front end of some idiot doesn't end up crushing your daughter, for example, then a bent frame is a small price to pay for that additional piece of mind.

If, however, you were looking to use these as rock sliders, where they would take damage on a regular basis, I can't see a bent frame being a desirable outcome - especially not as shown in that video. Anything using the body mount would be worse given the additional flex in the mount itself...

Doug

I would encourage anyone considering a rail of any kind to avoid that mounting system like the plague. 100% pure bullshit way of doing things.

Even on the JT/JL the Rubicon rails are only installed on the body. There are numerous reports on trail use on these, and everywhere I look on these, the only 2 things to improve them, is rocker armor to prevent deflection on severe drops, and a side bar to keep the side of Jeep further from obstacles.

Here is a heavily modified JT on a lift being supported by the factory Rubi rails...

1603672145495.jpeg

Even on the JT/JL the Rubicon rails are only installed on the body. There are numerous reports on trail use on these, and everywhere I look on these, the only 2 things to improve them, is rocker armor to prevent deflection on severe drops, and a side bar to keep the side of Jeep further from obstacles.

Here is a heavily modified JT on a lift being supported by the factory Rubi rails...

View attachment 198668
What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

I'll leave the design stuff to Blaine, but I'd be properly pissed if any rock slider I installed couldn't support the weight of the vehicle just sitting on it... Good to know it can tho.