Favorite Sawzall blades and cut off wheels?

fixmysix

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any body have any great recommendations for either product? They will be used for bracketry removal and various other Jeep projects. I did some research and it's hard to tell what is marketing hype and what actually works. I'd like some opinions from the people actually using them for what I'm going to use them for.

For Sawzall: primarily 1/8-1/4". Looking for a balance of speed of cut and longevity vs price. Is Carbide worth the extra money for mild steel? I don't mind paying more if it cuts fast and stays sharp longer.

For cut off: Is one wheel better than another for sheet metal vs 1/4". What brands do you like?

I really like the Diablo diamond cut-off wheels Home Depot sells. They are very thin kerf and cut fast, and last a long time. That and since the body is steel, you don't have to be nearly as concerned about blowing up a disc.

Buy the largest diameter your grinder is rated for.

Diablo makes decent reciprocating saw blades as well. Just be careful not to crap them up with aluminum

Mine has six body mounts, a shock outboard and a mid arm install on it with plenty of life left.
I think we have a winner. Already ordered from Amazon. I went with Benchmark for the abrasives. Hopefully they don't suck.

sait abrasives for cut off wheels, cs unitec sunfire ceramic flap discs for grinding/blending, and ITM makes some great saw blades and other metal working tools but I have no experience with the sawzall blades.

And screw Amazon support local when you can!

Last edited:
Diablo is good stuff, been having good success with Milwaukee torch also. (Sawzall)

Diablo is good stuff, been having good success with Milwaukee torch also. (Sawzall)
We have and use both versions of the carbide tipped blades. So far, the Diablo lasts longer if you get into any weld cutting. I haven't had a chance to fully explore how the Milwaukee stuff does on just steel cutting without getting into welds.

Reactions: J R
Oh they suck alright.
I wish we had a thread of tools you've recommended. You know what works an what doesn't. Most of us are experimenting. This tends to be expensive. @Chris we need you here!

I wish we had a thread of tools you've recommended. You know what works an what doesn't. Most of us are experimenting. This tends to be expensive. @Chris we need you here!

There is a list buried in Chris's khaki build thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
We experiment every day looking for anything that lasts longer, cuts or grinds faster, and or has a high value. Right now I am really struggling with 3M and their Cubitron crap. It is outstanding, better by far than anything we have tried but holy crap is it expensive and I have a very hard time buying more even though when I got to get something, I'll go past 5 other things to get the Cubitron.