Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monroe any

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • King any

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other...please list if you chose other

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters
They make the Performance Series shocks with reservoirs as well.

I don't know all the differences as I am not a shock tuner, but if anyone does, @pcoplin will.

@mrblaine likely knows the differences as well.

Yeah I talked to Paul about my shocks and he confirmed I have IPF performance series and he wasn’t too sure he could tune them as he works on the race series. 😔

Yeah I talked to Paul about my shocks and he confirmed I have IPF performance series and he wasn’t too sure he could tune them as he works on the race series. 😔

Yes, I've heard you can tune the IFP shocks, but it's very limited in what you can do with them. Paul and I talked about this at one point and what I took away from that conversation was that he doesn't like tuning them and tries to avoid it.

Reactions: Rick Flair
This:

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=1
Versus this:

https://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m=offroad&t=shocks&f1=type&v1=Smooth Body
The latter is a far superior shock and is what is used on the outboard conversions for our TJs.

The former is a shock that bolts in the stock location. While it's not a bad shock, it can't be tuned to the same level as the latter.

I guess a good way of separating them is that the former is the "Performance Series" and the latter is the "Race Series".
Huh?

All of the second link shocks you listed have a reservoir.

All non resevoir shocks from Fox are IFP
There's no if's, and's or but's...

Non reservoir fox shocks are internal floating piston. Every single one.

All reservoir shocks from Fox are NOT IFP.

Yes, I've heard you can tune the IFP shocks, but it's very limited in what you can do with them. Paul and I talked about this at one point and what I took away from that conversation was that he doesn't like tuning them and tries to avoid it.

Pretty much. I should have consulted him prior, thought I was in the clear!!! Lol

Huh?

Let's just refer to them as Performance Series versus Race Series in that case. I had always been calling the bolt-on Fox replacement shocks (for the stock mounts) Fox IFP shocks. I'm probably just using the wrong terminology.

I'll wait for one of the shock guys to come along and explain it better than I can.

The Race Series is however the better shock, but in order to run them you need to outboard your shocks.

Huh?

I love how you posted with such vehemence. However, you are wrong. All of the Performance series have IFPs, whether they are internal or external reservoir. That just means they have a divider (Internal Floating Piston) between the oil and nitrogen. Fox Factory series smooth bodies without external reservoir do not have an IFP, they are emulsions. The reservoir Factory series all have an IFP.

It's all semantics, but when you post your wrongness with such gusto, I have to respond. :D

I love how you posted with such vehemence. However, you are wrong. All of the Performance series have IFPs, whether they are internal or external reservoir. That just means they have a divider (Internal Floating Piston) between the oil and nitrogen. Fox Factory series smooth bodies without external reservoir do not have an IFP, they are emulsions. The reservoir Factory series all have an IFP.

It's all semantics, but when you post your wrongness with such gusto, I have to respond. :D

Race Series = Factory Series, yes?

I certainly can change the valving in the Performance series. They take the same shims as the Factory series except they use a bleed shim instead of bleed holes. I do tune the external reservoir version, I like to convert the resi cap to schrader and get rid of the rubber pellet.

However, the IFP version I won't do. It's a $100 fill needle from Fox (specific to the IFP non-resi) and I have a small collection of them that I've bent or snapped off, and they are not repairable. Not worth it for me, being such a small enterprise.

Race Series = Factory Series, yes?
Yeah, Fox calls them the "Factory Race Series". The Performance is the less expensive option. King does the same thing, most of what you see is the Performance version, and they have a Race version that is considerably more money.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, Fox calls them the "Factory Race Series". The Performance is the less expensive option. King does the same thing, most of what you see is the Performance version, and they have a Race version that is considerably more money.
Okay, that was part of the confusion on my part.

I should have known better though, because even on my mountain bike, the top of the line Fox suspension is their "Factory Series" and then a step down is their "Performance Series", so it seems that it translates to their automotive suspension as well.

Actually the IFP thing confused me as well. I wasn't 100% sure what made a Fox shock an "IFP" shock, I just always heard the Fox shocks that fit in the stock TJ mount locations being referred to as "Fox IFP shocks".

Okay, that was part of the confusion on my part.

I should have known better though, because even on my mountain bike, the top of the line Fox suspension is their "Factory Series" and then a step down is their "Performance Series", so it seems that it translates to their automotive suspension as well.

Actually the IFP thing confused me as well. I wasn't 100% sure what made a Fox shock an "IFP" shock, I just always heard the Fox shocks that fit in the stock TJ mount locations being referred to as "Fox IFP shocks".

You are right, Fox calls their Performance non-remote resi "IFP". King also has an IFP non-remote shock, they also call IFP. They are the OEM bolt in style also.

What are you talking about. Chris said the ifp and the 2.0 without reservoir were different shocks. They aren't. The 2.0 without reservoir is an ifp shock.

In the list above I was only including the performance series (without noting mind you) as IMO that is the most used of the Fox shock among the TJ world. With and without reservoir.

Lastly...I disagree with you on the ifp being on all performance series 2.0

What are you talking about. Chris said the ifp and the 2.0 without reservoir were different shocks. They aren't. The 2.0 without reservoir is an ifp shock.

In the list above I was only including the performance series (without noting mind you) as IMO that is the most used of the Fox shock among the TJ world. With and without reservoir.

Oh boy. Well, can't try to help you anymore. Have a good one. :)

JKS and Metal Cloak offer shocks too, fyi.
I have Metal cloaks’s “rocksport” shocks about $280 front and rear only because it was on the mechanics shelf ready to go. I can’t really say it’s my favorite shock as I only had bilstein and MC but the ride is way smoother than bilstein Shocks that’s Forsure. I’m satisfied so far.

Do you understand who you are talking to?