Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monroe any

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • King any

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other...please list if you chose other

Votes: 8 7.6%

• Total voters
So in asking you to post up mfg data/info you offer up more condescension with a trust me...xyz is _______ because I said so.

Nice
All I can tell you is that I work on shocks, a lot. Not my job to do your research. Which I suggest you do. Maybe take one apart yourself?

The name "remote reservoir" means that the nitrogen is stored in an external reservoir. They way that works is there has to be a divider piston. That piston is called a floating piston , because it floats and only moves the amount of the shaft displacement.

All I can tell you is that I work on shocks, a lot. Not my job to do your research. Which I suggest you do. Maybe take one apart yourself?

The name "remote reservoir" means that the nitrogen is stored in an external reservoir. They way that works is there has to be a divider piston. That piston is called a floating piston , because it floats and only moves the amount of the shaft displacement.

You're such a meanie mean person!

Still reading along. Here's more of my thoughts. Some shocks are pressurized and some are not. This is easy to figure out when you install the shocks. Shocks that are not pressurized are easy to push or pull to length for install. Shocks that are pressurized, like Bilstein 5100s, extend when you cut the packing band, and are hard to compress without tools. I have had both Bilstein 5100s and Rancho 5000s on my Jeep, I believe that the Bilstein is set up to handle heavier un-sprung weight and bigger hits. The Rancho is set up for ride comfort. FWIW, I was happy with the Bilsteins on my Jeep until I read on this forum that they were too stiff on the little hits. I remember the description line being that you could run over a quarter and tell if it was heads or tails. :) Whatever the reasons, I switched to Ranchos and love them. I can actually go faster in the washboard stuff now.

Really learning a lot on this thread.

I wonder what others would recommend for my first shock upgrade from the stocks I've had since 1998. I have an almost entirely stock '97 SE, so it's a pretty light truck. I have 30x9.5 R15 KO2s on it, and no lift. I'm ashamed to admit that it spends 99% of its time just cruising around town, and so I'm mostly interested in improving the quality of ride on the street.

But, of course I don't want to do anything that would really compromise its off-road ability (not that it has a lot as a stock SE).

From what I've read on other threads I would guess the answer is either Rancho 5000x or JK Rubicon OEMs (if they fit my stock SE?).

Last edited:
you'll need at least a 3" spring lift for the rubicon OEM's and perhaps a 2" might just squeeze the standard JK shocks in there but you need to mod the mounts with a bar pin eliminator.
Got it, thanks. In that case I’ll forget about JK shocks, as I’m not ready for any kind of lift.

Much more info than I thought when I started reading the thread. I bought a TJ 2.5yrs ago and threw a bunch of money at it. Probably the best money to date has been my Fullstack tuned LSC Fox shocks. I am running 11" up front and 12" in the rear. My gauge on comfort has always been my passengers. If they are happy, we wheel more.

IMG_3811_zpsfwixb66i.jpg

IMG_4089_zpsat7lw4uf.jpg

Much more info than I thought when I started reading the thread. I bought a TJ 2.5yrs ago and threw a bunch of money at it. Probably the best money to date has been my Fullstack tuned LSC Fox shocks. I am running 11" up front and 12" in the rear. My gauge on comfort has always been my passengers. If they are happy, we wheel more.
Thanks @WSS. What did they cost you, and how easy was the installation? I'm a rookie, so I like how budget-friendly and install-friendly the Ranchos sound. Also, it sounds like you wheel a good bit more than I do, so I may need to take that into consideration.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I think they were around $380 each tuned. If you are stock it should be an easy bolt and unbolt process unless you want to remote mount the reservoir, then a little welding might be required. I did a bunch of cutting, fitting, relocating etc. on mine.

Let me throw this in, ride quality is really important to my wife who has spinal stenosis (swelling of the stem around the cervical in the neck) She loves the trails and being way out but the pain has to be taken into consideration.

The LSC (new version) is VERY adjustable. One ride we had to a trail was a good 7-8 miles of chattery fire roads ( the kind that make spinal stenosis flare up), I had the LSC dialed "soft" to about 2 in the front and 3 in the back. When I got to the trail, all the opassengers were lulled to sleep. Does not get any better than that!!

IMG_3783_zpsfap5vmwx.jpg

IMG_3761_zpspd2i7vyj.jpg

Fronts

IMG_1362_zpswehxl2jr.jpg

IMG_1363_zpsjpbattjy.jpg

IMG_1364_zps9fwhaupv.jpg

IMG_1371_zpsanzshpan.jpg

IMG_1373_zpsacmj2igy.jpg

IMG_1377_zpszonukfsw.jpg

IMG_1380_zpssaax4d9y.jpg

I think they were around $380 each tuned. If you are stock it should be an easy bolt and unbolt process unless you want to remote mount the reservoir, then a little welding might be required. I did a bunch of cutting, fitting, relocating etc. on mine.

Let me throw this in, ride quality is really important to my wife who has spinal stenosis (swelling of the stem around the cervical in the neck) She loves the trails and being way out but the pain has to be taken into consideration.

The LSC (new version) is VERY adjustable. One ride we had to a trail was a good 7-8 miles of chattery fire roads ( the kind that make spinal stenosis flare up), I had the LSC dialed "soft" to about 2 in the front and 3 in the back. When I got to the trail, all the opassengers were lulled to sleep. Does not get any better than that!!

View attachment 206264

View attachment 206265

Fronts

View attachment 206266

View attachment 206267

View attachment 206268

View attachment 206269

View attachment 206270

View attachment 206271

View attachment 206272
Now this is a cool build. Nice work.

Reactions: Wildman
So in asking you to post up mfg data/info you offer up more condescension with a trust me...xyz is _______ because I said so.

Nice
You have no idea who this man is or the level of shock knowledge he has huh? Makes sense. I’m really thankful @pcoplin is a nice person and chooses not to talk down on you. He is an amazing resource for this forum as we want him to stick around.

Thanks. This is an impressive build and a great testimony. It's out of my budget and skill level for now, but I will remember it for some future day. But again, great write up, thank you.

Reactions: Rick Flair and WSS
You have no idea who this man is or the level of shock knowledge he has huh? Makes sense. I’m really thankful @pcoplin is a nice person and chooses not to talk down on you. He is an amazing resource for this forum as we want him to stick around.
LOL, I still have no idea who he is. I can tell you he cares about his customers and gets it right for you no matter the situation. I don't know how he makes money doing it. His prices as good as any other distributor but come with a custom tune. In a day and age where "likes" and "dislikes" BS make or break a business, Mr. Coplin earned this post from me. He did not bust his butt to get "thumbs up", he did it to get me the best possible solution he could. I had a CJ on leafs before this TJ, I felt like it was the "bomb", The more I wheel in this TJ, the more I find I like it and am impressed by it's capabilities. I am almost afraid to do anything else to it. Still eyeing a Anti-rock and already have a PSC assist system to install.

Tommy,
Paul (Mr Coplin) id great guy and goes out of his way to get you what you need. Plus he's there to answer questions and help with your shock selection. So when it's time for shocks he is the guy to talk with. I met him YEARS and YEARS ago when I sold him a skid plate. He also use to have a Dodge V-8 in his TJ before he went to the dark side and slapped a LS into it.