FCA is cracking down on people using the Jeep name

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So, I heard from a friend of mine today that attorneys contacted him on behalf of Fiat Chrysler America. He runs a JK group on Facebook called "Jeep On". He was selling stickers for their Facebook group that said, "Jeep On" on them, and these attorneys from FCA told him that if he didn't change the name of the group and stop selling the stickers, he would be facing a lawsuit from FCA.

Oddly enough, I got a notification from Tee Spring the other day saying that the t-shirts I was selling for this forum had been suspended due to copyright infringement. I believe the same attorneys contacted Tee Spring and told them to remove any and all t-shirts that use the Jeep name or logo on them.

In other words, I'm no longer able to sell forum t-shirts, because they use the Jeep name on them.

The word is that this is going around. Anyone selling any Jeep shirts or apparel are being sent cease and desist letters. This guy I know say that the attorneys even told him he had to change the name of the Facebook group, which has now been changed from "Jeep On", to "Jep On" (lame, huh?).

Anyways, just thought this was interesting. It looks like FCA is really starting to crack down on this stuff.

EDIT: Turns out it's the unauthorized use of the "Jeep" name.

Last edited:
Well, if someone is profiting off a registered trademark or copyright it would be against the law and punishable by civil action. but it is a balancing act for the trademark/copyright holder; they don't want to alienate their base, but some are bigger dicks than others.

Getting a rejection from a t-shirt company has nothing to do with FCA, they are just very careful since they would be the ones held liable since they produced and intially sold it.

As long as you're not selling stuff that violates their trademark you should be OK.

That's my thought. But technically I can't even sell a shirt with with the "Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum" on it I don't think, because Jeep is a registered trade mark, and I'd be profiting off it, right?

Why not run contests and the winner can receive a shirt for winning and just pay shipping
Then you are not selling them
Then make a donation to the site in the amout of the cost of the shirt

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Why not run contests and the winner can receive a shirt for winning and just pay shipping
Then you are not selling them
Then make a donation to the site in the amout of the cost of the shirt

I'm not entirely sure as I'm no lawyer, but I believe that FCA doesn't want people making apparel with their images and registered trademarks on it period. I am sure you could get by with it, I'm just not sure I want to stir the hornets nest. Apparently FCA is issuing a lot of cease and desist letters to people. That's just what I've heard.

How is it legal to make you change a Facebook group name? You aren't selling anything thus not profiting and thus, not against any laws. I'm no lawer but I do know lots about ATF regs on guns! same thing right? :rolleyes:

Reactions: skrelnik
How is it legal to make you change a Facebook group name? You aren't selling anything thus not profiting and thus, not against any laws. I'm no lawer but I do know lots about ATF regs on guns! same thing right? :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing as well. I can understand the stickers, but I don't think they can make you change the name of your Facebook Group.

Reactions: Jess
I thought the same thing as well. I can understand the stickers, but I don't think they can make you change the name of your Facebook Group.
You should tell your friend to fix his Facebook group. Jep is stupid! He deserves better! Also who knows it's actually a Jeep with that name. What if you didn't capitalize the J? Or worst case use 3 instead of E? They cannot sue you over that. Trust me. I'm an expert. ;)

You should tell your friend to fix his Facebook group. Jep is stupid! He deserves better! Also who knows it's actually a Jeep with that name. What if you didn't capitalize the J? Or worst case use 3 instead of E? They cannot sue you over that. Trust me. I'm an expert. ;)
Or just use the letters ' J.E.E.P on ' your not saying Jeep your saying 'Just Empty Every Pocket on ' lol sounds to me like power hungry, greedy corporate stuff to me.....Does this mean that anyone with a Chrysler Facebook page is gonna get told the same?...and once one starts are all car makers gonna go down that same road.??

Reactions: UpperMI and Tj04
Facebook isn't going to be a problem. The forum isn't going to be a problem. Imagine if every business that sells Jeep parts wasn't able to say Jeep. It's all about apparel.

Facebook isn't going to be a problem. The forum isn't going to be a problem. Imagine if every business that sells Jeep parts wasn't able to say Jeep. It's all about apparel.

I agree. It's about people profiting off the name and using their registered trademarks without permission. Obviously any auto manufacturer would be committing social suicide by telling every website out there not to use their name.

It actually makes perfect sense. I just found it interesting that these guys obviously got enough attention that they drew the attention of FCA themselves!

I agree. It's about people profiting off the name and using their registered trademarks without permission. Obviously any auto manufacturer would be committing social suicide by telling every website out there not to use their name.

It actually makes perfect sense. I just found it interesting that these guys obviously got enough attention that they drew the attention of FCA themselves!

Reactions: CodaMan
call this group up, an get them on your sides. http://www.fca.org/ an then call them up - https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/Pages/home.aspx an tell em your going into battle with them over it. wait hold on, i got a better idea. get all the groups or people, the fca are going after. find a jeep attorney enthusiat to represent for free, an go in an work out a deal, that you all can function, without big auto brother breathing down your neck, for giving them free publicity. if it wasnt for all you who devote their time to the jeep life, they would be out of business. they are the most unconfortable ride in the world. if they won't work out a deal, get all jeep owners to boycott them, put them in bankruptcy, collect the funds to buy the jeep division, turn it into an employee owned company, an get all the stuff, jeep owners been complaing for years on fixed. :) you want me to call them up to set up a meeting. They may even, start supporting you all, bringing you all under their warm an cozy coorporate arms. If I was ceo of fca, i would fire all those wanting to shut you all down, instead of working with you all, to promote the brand, that you all have been graciously have been doing for years. I would also call it treasonous within by attornerys needing to justify work, isolating us jeep sheep. The only reason i am driving this junk piece of crap is cause people wave to me an i am really loney.......:) I am callin em up, to set up a meeting with all those they are unduly harrasing. Give me a week, round up your possies, an find a probono jeep lawyer. :)

IT IS TIME TO FOR THE JEEP SHEEP TO STAND AN BE HEARD BY THE JEEP SHEEP MASTERS.............BAHHHHHH....BAHHHHHHHH.......!!!!!!! an if they dont want to listen to work something out, put a call out to all Jeep Sheep, wanting one jeep part from every state, to be sent to the middle of the United States, to build one jeep, to be torched in effiggy, an in Jeep Sheep solidarity. An I will call up jesus as Mike pence listens to jesus, an as Opra listens to god, an request jesus to represent that he, would rather ride thru the desert strapped to a camel, with bleeding nails in hands an feet, than ride in a welded cambolt jeep, when that corporate jeep corporation, is harrasing the Jeep Sheep instead of working with them, to honor all the hard work they do, day in an day out, promoting the brand without the corporate pay, to keep it afloat. "Let my words be Heard"

An for all those who read this what i just wrote, copy it an send it to the jeep contact us email page, all three

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting