Fender flare mod

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So almost spring, time to do that mod I've been planning for the past year. Went from 33x10.50s on ProComp wheels to the same on the stock 5 spoke steel YJ/TJ rim. And the 6" flares look like pantaloons.

So time to slice the flares from 6" to 4.25".

F2.jpg

Basically 2 cuts. Leaving 1.5" attached and making a 1.5" strip to use as a bonding joint.

F3.jpg

And cut 2

F4.jpg

Strips for the connection

F5.jpg

And the final fit with screws first. I'm amazed how solid they are.

F6.jpg

Will be pulling it all apart once warmer weather hits to glue it together and do some kind of a boxliner or krinkle paint to dress 'em up.

I knew there was somebody on here that had a set. Wow...I have never seen that done to highline flares haha. He’s a brave man

I know, you certainly can't get those things anymore! And if you do find a set, someone wants an arm and a leg for them.

Reactions: Starrs
$3K is not bad for the full kit. They were $1999.00 6 years ago.

And heres the final detail, fitting the gas filler recess.

F8.jpg

Definitely a need for some epoxy this summer...

F9.jpg

Reactions: Starrs
I would have traded you hahaha. You just cut up gold....why?????
Hardly gold, I'll have to post pics the pieces which have broken out over the years. These flares have been well used. But as I said, I like tall and skinny. I wish BFG still made the 33x9.50... which is now my spare.

spare 33x9.50.jpg

That's just nuts! That price had better include shipping.
I honestly doubt it. I mean @Chris flr something you can’t buy anymore it’s one of those truly priceless items that’s just doesn’t exist. I’m with you tho, it’s high but damn it’s an awesome kit. The hood makes it all worth while for me. I absolutely love the LCOG with 33s or 35s if you so choose. It’s just the best look for the tj IMO.

Check with an auto body supply store. I'm thinking a plastic bumper epoxy might work well for that application. Many of those epoxies are also sandable, and you'll want to sand that seam smooth afterwards, and fill the screw holes.

So almost spring, time to do that mod I've been planning for the past year. Went from 33x10.50s on ProComp wheels to the same on the stock 5 spoke steel YJ/TJ rim. And the 6" flares look like pantaloons.

So time to slice the flares from 6" to 4.25".

View attachment 37180

Basically 2 cuts. Leaving 1.5" attached and making a 1.5" strip to use as a bonding joint.

View attachment 37181

And cut 2

View attachment 37182

Strips for the connection

View attachment 37183

And the final fit with screws first. I'm amazed how solid they are.

View attachment 37184

Will be pulling it all apart once warmer weather hits to glue it together and do some kind of a boxliner or krinkle paint to dress 'em up.
I've got a similar issue where I went to a smaller tire and different rim and now my six inch flares are way to wide.