Fender flare width

Bushfamily5

I just bought a new to me 2004 LJ. I've had JKs before but never a TJ. Funds are tight after the purchase but I'd like to put on a set of JK Rubi 32" takeoffs on the JK wheels. I will run these for quite some time and never go beyond 33s. What size fender flare will get out to the edge of the tread of the tire when I put them on with an adapter? what size spacer/adapter is most common?

should mention that it has a mild lift and runs on 33s now so 32"s shouldn't be a problem. Next step will be to replace the lift with a 2" OME + bl

I know that's a lot. Thank you

I had the same setup on my old Jeep. 255/70r17 (32”). IIRC the stock flares covered the tread but the sidewalks stuck out, which isn’t much. Some Rubicon or Sahara flares would probably cover them entirely.

• Haha
Reactions: Crust
In order to run the JK wheels, you will need a hub adapter for two reasons. First, the JK uses a different bolt pattern than the TJ. 2nd, the JK uses much higher offset wheels than a TJ. The adapters will change the wheel pattern and also provide some additional width to run the tires.

Here is a good set of adapters:
http://www.spidertrax.com/2007-Up-JK-to-Wrangler
A JK Rubicon wheel is 17x7.5 with 6.25 inches of backspacing. A stock TJ Rubicon wheel is 16x8 with 5” of backspacing.

So the 1-3/8 spacers listed above will put the wheel centerline at about the same location as a TJ Rubicon wheel. A stock TJ Rubicon tire is 245/75R16, or roughly 31x9.5. A stock JK Rubicon wheel is 255/75R17, or roughly 32x10.

So your wheels will have a very similar tread width and stickout to a stock TJ Rubicon wheel, assuming you use those adapters.

In this case, TJ Rubicon flares (4.25” wide) will barely cover the tread to make it legal. The sidewall will still stick out a bit, but laws generally only apply to tread coverage.

If you use a different width adapter, you will have different results.

What is the size stamped on the side of the tire these take-offs have on them?

This is me with JK wheels, 1.25" adapter and 285/70R17 tires under my Sahara flares which are about and inch wider than Sport/X flares. 285 mm works out to about 11.25" wide
1598997468088.png

A 255mm wide wheel would probably tuck in nicely under a X/Sport fender but watch out for your load rating; a lot of metric tires are D and E load tires.

What is the size stamped on the side of the tire these take-offs have on them?

This is me with JK wheels, 1.25" adapter and 285/70R17 tires under my Sahara flares which are about and inch wider than Sport/X flares. 285 mm works out to about 11.25" wide
View attachment 187478
A 255mm wide wheel would probably tuck in nicely under a X/Sport fender but watch out for your load rating; a lot of metric tires are D and E load tires.

What lift are you running with that set of tires and wheels?