Fender replacement advice

TJW

Hi,
I'm planning to replace both fenders with new ones on my 1998 tj. Can anyone with that experience tell me what "extras" do I need to have on hand just in case the removal process breaks stuff. Like, do the plastic nuts hold up OK for replacement? How about extra screws, bolts etc. ? Any advice greatly appreciated.
I have a service guide and parts manual as a guide, and found a YouTube video showing the right fender replacement but it shows this on a super clean TJ, so everything went perfect.

Thanks.

Hi,
I'm planning to replace both fenders with new ones on my 1998 tj. Can anyone with that experience tell me what "extras" do I need to have on hand just in case the removal process breaks stuff. Like, do the plastic nuts hold up OK for replacement? How about extra screws, bolts etc. ? Any advice greatly appreciated.
I have a service guide and parts manual as a guide, and found a YouTube video showing the right fender replacement but it shows this on a super clean TJ, so everything went perfect.

Thanks.
For the back ones there are a couple bolts (I think the forward most 2 on each side) where I couldn't reach the back at all and they just screwed in place - so I ended up having to cut them. Easiest solution i found to reinstall was just a couple of rivets with my $4.99 harbor freight special. Holds it tight, and if I need to take them off again I'll just cut and repeat. Other than that, gloves to save your hands and patience. Good luck!

When we changed both fenders I watched a few videos where people spent a lot of time trying to get the bolts out.

Then I saw a video where the guy says why are people tip toeing around removing the old fenders.

They are junk so we took a cutting wheel cut the fender bent the fender to get to bolts just like in the video. I was never going to reuse the fenders anyways.

The new fenders I bought I took to get powdered coated. We used rivet nuts where we needed. The fenders when on easy, and looks great.

Hi,

Thanks.
Looking at your location, I assume you will have rust. Use penetrating oil repeatedly for days in advance of the procedure. I suggest having spray paint on hand and clean and paint as much of the engine bay and engine as you can. Make it pretty. If you need to do exhaust manifold or gasket work, it is a good time to do it. Good time to make new battery cables and clean up wiring as well. You may want to use nutserts to reinstall the fender flares. I replaced my right fender on my rust-free 2003 and it was an easy job. The only hiccup is my battery temp sensor quit a couple weeks later and threw a code. I do not tolerate a CEL coming on. I assume it was fron unplugging it and then plugging it back in. I replaced it and restored karma. Have beer on hand. As you are Canadian, might I suggest Grizzly Beer? Do they still make Grizzly Beer? It is not safe to do this job if your hops and barley levels are depleted.

Solo cups ... lots of solo cups. Hopefully enough for lots of beer when you're done.

16-09-12 3.JPG

16-09-12 4.JPG

I broke the bottom bolt on both fenders where they attach to the tub, drilled and tapped for new (different size) bolts. Broke most of the bolts at the front where it attaches to the grill, drill and tap.

Thanks guys, I should have mentioned I'm only replacing the front left and front right fenders.
Seems like beer is the go to elixir to cope with problems, and yes I agree no sense in carefully removing what's going to go the garbage. Rivet nuts look to be damn handy too!
Solo cups ... lots of solo cups. Hopefully enough for lots of beer when you're done.

View attachment 243675

View attachment 243676
Ha Ha, I thought those solo cups were filled with beer. I guess you could fill 'em all with Beer before you start, THEN use them to hold the replacement screws (takes longer, but more fun, and who knows you may have some parts left over ;))

Thanks guys, I should have mentioned I'm only replacing the front left and front right fenders.
Seems like beer is the go to elixir to cope with problems, and yes I agree no sense in carefully removing what's going to go the garbage. Rivet nuts look to be damn handy too!

Ha Ha, I thought those solo cups were filled with beer. I guess you could fill 'em all with Beer before you start, THEN use them to hold the replacement screws (takes longer, but more fun, and who knows you may have some parts left over ;))
Better to use cans then cups, easy to mark, plus I don't want to down some screws by mistake.

I feed the dogs green beans so plenty of cans around.