Fenders: Show me what you got

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My TJR has 4 inch lift on 35s and I’m about to install a 1 inch body lift this weekend. Next step is the fender debate. Keep it stock or go with something aftermarket. Looked at the MC, PS, JCR etc... just not sure if I even want them now versus keep the stock set up. Help convince me by overloading me with pictures, brand and what the pros and cons are for your setup.

7F466631-D07E-4D1E-B860-0653F26F415A.jpeg

so from stock rubi, 4" flare
DSC_0020.jpeg

to stock AEV HighLine, 6" flare
DSC_0164.jpeg

to AEV flares cut back to 4" with Jeep 15x7 steel spokers
IMG_2208.jpg

Next will be home built 2" tubular flares since I now run ultra skinny 7.50R16s.
DSC_0025.jpeg

And my tJR will be skinnier than an SE !! 😁😁😁

Last edited:
What are you hoping to accomplish with different fenders and how will that happen?

Every now and then I wish I would have stuck with stock (though, not often). If you do decide to change, hi lines are the only real gain and they require cutting the hood 3". Stick with aluminum for weight savings too.

FB045690-54B3-486B-A246-3FA26FF627C1.jpeg
20190831_130410.jpg

I'd love to have highline fenders, but in WV you have to have your wheels covered to get an inspection sticker. For now I have stock fenders and no sticker. I like a more streamlined look with a wide stance.

Do you want better clearance? A certain look? Does price matter?

What are you hoping to accomplish with different fenders and how will that happen?
First change was the AEV HighLIne. I prefer a body kit to a suspension lift. And had to have an AEV HighLine. Thinking center of gravity and stock suspension.
Likely inspired by the Olympia Beer Can from the early BAJA 1000 Races.

Second was getting rid of the 4" Back Space in favour of the 5.5" stock Wrangler BS.
And narrowing the AEV Flares to fit better.

Third, now is getting it skinny like Jeep intended. Always looking to improve performance.
Skinny tires perform way better running thu snow, slush, standing water, rain.
And they deliver better fuel economy too. I never expected a measureable difference but my gas mileage has gone from an average of 17mpg to 22mpg. A 30% increase !! Even trailer towing it jumped from a best of 14mpg to 18mpg if I drive conservatively.

The trails I run are narrow and over grown, wide tires are zero help. And the AEV Flares have many scars to prove it. So tubular metal, tapered and only 2" wide to cover the tires and push the branches back is the next goal.

DSC_0112.jpeg

Genright aluminums. Kinda wish I went hi-line, but love them otherwise. View attachment 114481
I've been looking at a lot of the genright HLs past couple days. Just about settled on those as I believe in the buy once cry once lol. Everything I buy needs to have a purpose for now and long term and I have a vision of stuffing some tons under this jeep one day 😀

Metal Cloak overline fenders with the optional 6-inch flare. I gained about 1.5 inches of up travel. Like others have said the only way to get any large gains will be to get a true set of Highline fenders and cut the hood. Be prepared to raise your front shock mount tho in order to tuck them all the way. Or run a smaller bodied shock... MC 6Pak would likely also do the trick.

If a fender doesn't move the stock ABS/Battery tray or address it in some way you will be hitting the rear of the tire before the top lip of the fender with 35s. My tire hits the rear section of the fender at full lock about 1.5 inches before the top lip.

20190904_181033.jpg

I've been looking at a lot of the genright HLs past couple days. Just about settled on those as I believe in the buy once cry once lol. Everything I buy needs to have a purpose for now and long term and I have a vision of stuffing some tons under this jeep one day 😀

I finally learned the buy once/ cry once philosophy after owning several jeeps over the past couple decades. I put one tons under my LJ for that very reason. Spent too much time and money in the past fixing busted axles, ball joints, lockers, etc....

I think its personal choice on fenders, since I am old guy I like the look of flat fenders. I also went with Genright Alum. I ordered the steel ones at first to save a few bucks. But when they arrived they weighted a TON, so I sent them back for the Alum. ones and much happier. I also went with Alum. corners. You will stop crying after the first cut

rub_zpsd7ef5432.jpg

2_zpsa00df954.JPG

1_zps9ef85ed7.JPG

IMG_0937_zps941ab16c.JPG

Reactions: Alex01 and tworley