Few questions about the charcoal canister

someguysjeep

simple guy
Lifetime Supporting Member
so i have heard of this thing called a charcoal canister, for me it was in my rear passenger fender with all the other emissions BS.

i assume that sys sucks fumes from the tank cycles it through this sys via a vacuum draw ?

jump forward to now and all that craps no longer present.
i run a small fuel cell in the back behind the seats.
what i am getting is fumes, the garage was stinkin this mornin. with no signs of any spillage or leakage, an attempt to narrow the source led me to the fender that both vents extend to. put your nose close to those hoses and you can get a buzz.

so could 1 tie those lines into that canister and it have the ability to knock down the fumes? i put a tube on 1 port and blew through it, it'll vent just fine. but would it stop the fumes? or does it need to be continued back up to the engine to close the sys?

or is there another form of breather vent fume mitigation?
ya i'm bout to goggle it.

Last edited:
nothin, ay?

i contemplated my dumb question a bit more.
it should work........ that's what it does, right?
then was the issue of tying it back in up front, which now seems idiotic since i need it open to expel air from the cell. i pieced that sys back together and tried to understands it routing.

i then dug around and found some old crap on Pirate about this exact issue. they suggested locating a smaller charcoal box from a newer vehicle and running the vents into it. i have this brick we got (from my 04) on hand so it'll do for now and maybe later i can look for a smaller unit........TBH once it's mounted i probably won't.

did earlier model TJ's have this contraption in can form under the hood?

so i stripped the tubes of the emissions unit and they had enough bends and length to make several 90's and T into the inlet port of the canister. the unit had a back end breather so i scabbed that and a portion of the other tube to run from the outlet of the canister.

i'll post a few pics when i get it all sorted.

on a side note: awhile back when i started this fuel setup i found info on several sites about vent routing. and then there are venting diagrams from various manufacturers and publications.
info i've seen on Pirate and also here, takes the vent tube from the cell and roll over fitting up around the B bar and then down and out of the cab area (=/-15ft of tubing). i never understood this. and it seems contrary to many venting diagrams that only require the vent be located above the filler level. and the OE sys that is less than a foot away.

in the event of a flop the roll over vents are gonna trigger, 1 might guess there is possibility of some spillage b4 they seat but that should be minimal if they are functioning.
i can see off camber situations letting a little fuel up the vent tube if the tanks full enough but that ain't goin far if the vents pointed up and should return to the cell once the tilt levels. then maybe since what we do keeps the suspension in constant motion we then have slosh which could also spit some fuel up the vent tubes but that has to burp past your check ball so it should also be minimal.

in the event of a flop and the roll over vent failed to seat. would the elongated tube be able to hold fuel from being ejected vs the pressure of 2-10gl pushing from 1 end even if the open end was 10ft above the tank?
is that volume not gonna win until it's equal within the tube?............we call that an Amish level, and doesn't work unless all the volume is in the tube. so we'd need 500' of coiled hose for it to hold the volume of the cell and contain a spill in our Amish level.

anybody have any explanation for this elongated vent tube idea?

barkin at the moon here but i'll finish what i started.

it's been sittin in the back end for a few days now and not a fume to be sniffed.
i have not pushed fuel into the fuel cell sys yet and forced it to vent, but sitting it seems to confine the vapor.

basically the hoses on the emissions equipment were cut up and it provided the elbows, a few plastic fittings to jump tube sizes and T into 1 feed, and moved the existing air vent to the outlet port.

next is a hole in the front of the wheel well hump to feed the vent tubes outside and mount it.

241507059_409405124137877_8317556693689955552_n.jpg

They just told me they don’t have a source. I’m looking for one also
I bypassed the charcoal canister entirely and re-routed the hoses to the purge valve directly. I'll take a pic for you tonight. I had the same issue with my 97. It passed emissions this way and didn't throw a CEL

i went on their site and had my 97 in the search.......nothing....put in search without vehicle and it popped right up !

I bypassed the charcoal canister entirely and re-routed the hoses to the purge valve directly. I'll take a pic for you tonight. I had the same issue with my 97. It passed emissions this way and didn't throw a CEL
the purge valve is on the shelf. even if i fixed the evap/breather equipment they don't allow fuel cells either so it's not even worth trying to save some things. the only reason to keep any of it would have been to keep the CEL from lighting but i'm gonna have more flags than the UN by the time i clean this up.

the fumes are stopped, it's been good. i made an aluminum bracket and hung it in the wheel well above my rocker.

242215620_1545706105764046_7661327719322232608_n.jpg

i'm not 100% on this crap and info seems fragmented, but does the purge valve actually help purge or draw vapors from the tank or does it just purge the charcoal can when it's told to cycle? the info i found suggested it just flushed the can.
doesn't the fuel pump activate as soon as the keys turned? to purge the tank 1 might think it would take a second or few for this function to happen, then allow the fuel pump to activate.

Last edited:
the purge valve is on the shelf. even if i fixed the evap/breather equipment they don't allow fuel cells either so it's not even worth trying to save some things. the only reason to keep any of it would have been to keep the CEL from lighting but i'm gonna have more flags than the UN by the time i clean this up.

the fumes are stopped, it's been good. i made an aluminum bracket and hung it in the wheel well above my rocker.

View attachment 281588

i'm not 100% on this crap and info seems fragmented, but does the purge valve actually help purge or draw vapors from the tank or does it just purge the charcoal can when it's told to cycle? the info i found suggested it just flushed the can.
doesn't the fuel pump activate as soon as the keys turned? to purge the tank 1 might think it would take a second or few for this function to happen, then allow the fuel pump to activate.
My understanding is that the purge valve fires when told, and the charcoal canister is just there to help vent out the fuel vapors to atmosphere until it needs to purge. Bypassing the canister just allowed the vapors to build in the lines between the tank and the valve. The valve then fires back into the intake for egr type garbage.

I didn’t want to mess with a new charcoal canister, and I hate looking at a CEL, so this was my work around when charcoal was fucking up my purge valve.

Reactions: someguysjeep