Finally found a heater core, do I need anything else?

Reactions: connor grimes
I haven't in the past because of the broken heater core - now that I found another, I can finally defrost the windshield now.

if you still have your original look at taking it to a radiator repair shop and having it rebuilt ! the one your looking at is one of the ones that has limited heat output . many threads here if you do a search....

if you still have your original look at taking it to a radiator repair shop and having it rebuilt ! the one your looking at is one of the ones that has limited heat output . many threads here if you do a search....

As long as it'll defrost my windshield and stop spewing radiator coolant, I'll be a happy man.

Interested in this heater core repair vs buying new which seem to be of poor quality .

What do you want to know? Any competent radiator repair shop can repair/replace as needed IF it's not a cracked plastic tank. Plastic will shut down any shop that I know of. If the OEM is an all metal radiator, then it can be rebuilt/repaired as needed. A good shop could also build a custom one if needed, but it'd be expensive. Just to give you an idea, the last radiator that I had re-cored was $500 10 years ago.

I'm curious as to why you guys are acting like a replacement unit is hard to find. Rockauto has 6 currently listed from $25 to $55 (unknown quality)

Reactions: reddvltj
What do you want to know? Any competent radiator repair shop can repair/replace as needed IF it's not a cracked plastic tank. Plastic will shut down any shop that I know of. If the OEM is an all metal radiator, then it can be rebuilt/repaired as needed. A good shop could also build a custom one if needed, but it'd be expensive. Just to give you an idea, the last radiator that I had re-cored was $500 10 years ago.

I'm curious as to why you guys are acting like a replacement unit is hard to find. Rockauto has 6 currently listed from $25 to $55 (unknown quality)

Replacement heater cores are all over the place ranging from 25 to 500 dollars for the later version. None of them have the same heat output as OEM and most are almost as bad as not even bothering to do it and just bypassing the core altogether.

Because people that know, know an oem heater core is the way to go and they have become unobtanium..the after market units suck. They can't even get the 1 screw hole in the right place you almost always have to open up the hole in the heater box to get the screw started

A
Because people that know, know an oem heater core is the way to go and they have become unobtanium..the after market units suck. They can't even get the 1 screw hole in the right place you almost always have to open up the hole in the heater box to get the screw started

nd the plastic turbulators block the heat flow,wouldn’t it be nice to go back 15 years and buy them!