Finally started my steely paint project

MexiJeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Well I won't say that painting these rims didn't involve quite a learning curve. Following the rattle can directions disaster struck. After my last coat of clear I wanted to wait for the paint to cure. The finish was perfect. Three days later all of the painted surface began to crack. There was no repairing this so I stripped the paint off of the rim and started over. The problem as I see it is that daytime and nighttime temps swing 20*. Here's my newly finished spare. I can only paint one wheel at a time so this will be a lengthy project. It's a bitch being a perfectionist. I'll post another photo once I mount the wheel on the Jeep. I'll give it a few days to cure. I'm really pleased with the results. I only wish my Stone White TJ was in as pristine condition as this wheel.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to post a "how to" along with step by step procedures.

DSC08857.JPG

DSC08858.JPG

Looks amazing. I would at least be interested in an high level overview of methods and materials used. Guessing it would require lots of thin coats of white and then lots of thin clear coat layers?

Reactions: psrivats
Looks amazing. I would at least be interested in an high level overview of methods and materials used. Guessing it would require lots of thin coats of white and then lots of thin clear coat layers?
I'll post up the process when I get a bit of time.

Reactions: KCsTJ
So I saw that first picture and thought yeah ok nice job and then I saw it on the vehicle, WOW! That really works, it looks like a factory upgrade that might well have been offered at the dealership.

Attempting perfection does take it's toll.
Dito! but an unhealthy affiliation with perfection is what drives us, drives us to awesome results like that wheel, now get back in the garage and finnish the other four :p