Finally took the fencepost out of...(new radio install)

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
So, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Kenwood digital media receiver from Crutchfield.

Step 01 - Removed the top part of the dashboard covering the cowl

Photo Sep 06, 11 09 14 AM.jpg
Step 02 - Removed screws holding the front part of the dashboard that covers the radio and AC controls

Photo Sep 06, 11 09 34 AM.jpg
Step 03 - Removed the front part of the dashboard covering the radio and AC controls (pulled gently but firmly LOL)

Photo Sep 06, 12 22 29 PM.jpg
Step 04 - Removed the glove box

Photo Sep 06, 11 08 48 AM.jpg
Step 05 - Removed the anchor screw from the back of the yoke that holds the factory radio stable (royal p.i.t.a.)

Photo Sep 06, 12 33 16 PM.jpg
Step 06 - Removed the screws that hold the yoke brace in place

cowl 2.png
Step 07 - Removed the yoke

Step 08 - Gently removed the cabling from the back of the factory radio

At this point, I took the wiring harness that Crutchfield sent and soldered the Kenwood wiring to the converter harness. I also added some heat shrink to ensure these wires stay put.

Photo Sep 06, 11 10 59 AM.jpg

Step 09 - Added wiring harness converter to Jeep wiring

Photo Sep 06, 4 35 26 PM.jpg

Step 10 - Went to add antenna converter from Kenwood (new radio) to factory wiring

At this point, I noticed that the fragile coax male pin had broken that went into the factory radio. Following this back along the Jeep, I noticed that it had a female connection point to a male Motorola plug going back to the antenna.

Photo Sep 06, 4 47 03 PM.jpg

The Kenwood radio also has a female Motorola plug on it, so I started thinking about why on earth I would want to go from a male Motorola plug to a coax and then back to Motorola. I didn't. So I went out and bought (through Amazon) an extender that could reach from the back of the glove box all the way over to the radio and maintain the Motorola connection ($5).

Step 11 - Changed out the antenna wiring per above.

Photo Sep 06, 11 08 48 AM.png
Step 12 - Connected up the radio and turned the vehicle on to test audio connections - it worked! Time to reassemble!

Step 13 - My radio came with a Bluetooth microphone, so at this point I also took that and fed the wires through the dash, and mounted the mic just to the right of my speedometer/tachometer display.

Photo Sep 12, 3 04 36 PM.jpg
Step 14 - Next, I took the twist tie that came with it and bundled up all the extra length of this mic wiring to keep it neat and tidy.
Step 15 - Mounted radio in the metal sleeve.
Step 16 - Mounted dash kit back on the open bay where old radio used to be
Step 17 - Slid new radio in place and bent the framing pieces up to hold it in place behind the mounting kit.
Step 18 - Tested audio again just to be safe
Step 19 - Pulled dash cover back up onto dash and attached screws back as needed
Step 20 - Replace yoke screws on each side of cowl so nothing rattles around.
Step 21 - Replaced cowl cover
Step 22 - Replaced coin holder above dash

VOILA

Photo Sep 09, 10 31 08 PM.jpg

The only thing left is the decision on what color to set the radio display to:

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
Reactions: CBJason
What is the model number of the Kenwood you bought? I like the look of it and mine needs a new radio as well. I've got an old JVC (10 years old) where the face contacts are worn out. If I hit a large bump the radio cuts out for a couple of seconds. Thanks

And here I am still "rocking" with the stock stereo from 2000. Wow I need to upgrade!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You and me both. My 99 has some kind of radio from ancient times. No cd, no tape, no bluetooth, just AM/FM stereo. I haven't turned it on since I bought it.

Ahhh, remember when cars (such as our TJ) used to have the simple single DIN cutouts from the factory so you could easily upgrade the stereo head unit? Look at any modern car and it's become virtually impossible.

The good thing though is that the stereo systems on newer cars rarely need to be upgraded. They've already got everything you want built in.

I'd think that's putting a strain on the aftermarket audio industry, but I could be wrong.

What is the model number of the Kenwood you bought? I like the look of it and mine needs a new radio as well. I've got an old JVC (10 years old) where the face contacts are worn out. If I hit a large bump the radio cuts out for a couple of seconds. Thanks
Sorry, been super busy with work the last few weeks - not had time for the Jeep hobby! :(

I got the Kenwood KMM-BT315U